Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RetroN 2...?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I could have saved you the money and time. All you needed to know is that Hyperkin is behind this product. They're in the habit of releasing overpriced junk.

Supaboy...junk. FC Mobile 2...trash. Retron 2...garbage.

I wonder if there is some way they can be sued for false advertising and faulty products. It's almost as if they go out of their way to scam people. Something has to be done to stop them.

thank you.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh... it was only a matter of time before you showed up, but I'm gonna respond to what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    I could have saved you the money and time. All you needed to know is that Hyperkin is behind this product. They're in the habit of releasing overpriced junk.
    Normally, I would have badmouthed you, but I have to admit, there is some truth to what you're saying. The RetroN2, at least here, is the most expensive 2-in-1 NES/Super NES combo clone, yet it's no better compatibility-wise than the FC Twin. It really seems like Hyperkin promises all sorts of things, delivers on those, then cheapens out on the hardware in one way or another. First, there was the fiasco with the RetroN3: the RetroN3 Version 1 was completely incompatible with Castlevania III and the NOAC was crap, then when the RetroN3 Version 2 came out, Castlevania III compatibility was added in, but the NOAC is still inaccurate and to make matters worse, they COMPLETELY screwed up the Super NES audio amp such that it produced insanely loud and distorted audio with such heavy high-pass filtering, all the bass is literally gone.

And by the way, you wouldn't have saved me any money or time because I enjoy messing around with Famiclones no matter who makes them. It's part of my research into Famiclones. Besides, it's thanks to people like me you can get honest, no-BS looks at the many post-2005 Famiclones, Geniclones and Super Famiclones that have been made. If something is amiss, I will point it out right away, and if there is something I consider unacceptable (like the S-Video sync issues, dual Mono Super NES audio and broken NES compatibility), I will tear the clone a new one.

I would have bought the RetroN2 regardless of what others say. I want to see the clone for myself because other reviews on clones may be biased, inaccurate or missing information, hence why I buy so many clones. There are biased reviews as well as a bunch of missing or incorrect information on a variety of clones. I'm here to set the record straight.

However, the RetroN2 disgusted me so much, I sent it back. It's absurd to have a clone that is more expensive than any of the competition, yet the competition can do a better job at a lower price. That is crap.

Supaboy...junk. FC Mobile 2...trash. Retron 2...garbage.
    I can't comment on the SupaBoy or the FC Mobile II because I've never used them, but I really wasn't impressed with the RetroN2. You can get a RetroDuo for less than that and be able to play more games than you can on the RetroN2. Okay, the NES audio is a lot better on the RetroN2, but with inferior NES compatibility, practically unusable Super NES S-Video (seriously, this thing has severe sync issues with Super NES games in S-Video, and when I'll post RetroN2 vs. Original Hardware on YouTube, you'll see just how bad the sync issues can get. It's to the point where my capture device wants to lose the video feed) and garbled dual Mono Super NES audio, you really shouldn't get a RetroN2 unless you absoultely want to use NES controllers on an NES/Super NES 2-in-1 without having to rig up a controller adapter.

Actually, here's a note on the sync issues: they will vary depending on how well your TV can handle strong video signals. My Electrohome 27E510 had complete loss of sync on white screens and minor screen tearing on anything white, but other TVs and some capture equipment may go completely insane. My capture device HATED the RetroN2's S-Video and would have severe screen tearing, loss of sync and even wanted to lose the video feed.

I wonder if there is some way they can be sued for false advertising and faulty products.
    From what I've been told and from personal experience, it looks as if there's barely any quality control at Hyperkin. I've had a RetroN3 Version 1 and RetroN3 Version 2, and both systems have had various defects on the Super NES side. The RetroN3 Version 1 would short out if a Super NES controller was plugged into controller port 1, and the RetroN3 Version 2 first had graphical glitches with Super NES games, then wouldn't recognize certain Super NES controllers. I was also told by a MicroPlay employee in Ottawa, Ontario that they stopped carrying the RetroN3 and started to carry the FC3 Plus in its place due to a high return rate. I think that's saying something about the quality control at Hyperkin.

But I will say, there is false advertising on the RetroN2's box: "Play all your classic NES/SNES favorites." TOTAL BS!!! Does "all your classic NES/SNES favorites" exclude Castlevania III somehow? What the hell is it gonna take for Famiclone manufacturers to stop using NOACs with missing CIRAM /CE and /A13 signals out of the NOAC and with reversed duty cycles?! Even though the RetroN2's NOAC has correct duty cycles, it does omit CIRAM /CE and /A13, which, ever since the RetroDuo v2.0, is COMPLETELY unacceptable.

Now, as for the RetroN2, I wouldn't go so far as to call it "junk" as there are much worse Famiclones out there, but considering the price, it's really unimpressive. In my area, you're paying $10 extra for a downgraded 2-in-1 with NES controller ports added in. You might as well just get an FC Twin. It's cheaper and it'll get the job done just as well (well, with the exception of NES video, which is darker and more saturated than on the RetroN2, but the rest is almost exactly the same or better in certain aspects).

In any case, it's time for me to write up the full review of the RetroN2.
    Last edited by Ace; 10-06-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ace, thanks for your informative post. You took one for the team, but I'm glad you got your money back and returned the piece of crap product made by Hyperkin. And for anyone entering this thread late, these pictures will sum everything up.

thank you.

thank you again.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yeah.

Welcome to Digital Press 2012 where even after 7 or so years of threads by various users dedicated to the ins and outs of classic clone hardware people STILL have completely warped/unreasonable expectations of what they're going to get when they buy a clone.

Shit is never gonna be perfect yo.

It will never work as well as the real hardware. It will never look as good as the real hardware. It will never sound as good as the real hardware.

Lots of games won't work, likely including your personal favorites.

The above are facts and something that every single person investing their hard-earned cash on clone systems should know.

If you're buying a clone system for the very first time, read the above and prepare yourself so you're not disappointed.

If you're a DP member who has been here for more than say, a year, well, you should know better.

Clones are not perfect and they're no substitute for the real thing, but for some they're affordable, convenient and fill a void/satisfy a need.

Notions that the companies that produce these things are somehow setting out to "scam" or intentionally hurt people are fucking absurd and if you believe that your tin-foil hat is cutting off the circulation to your brain.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    [A clone system] will never work as well as the real hardware ... It will never sound as good as the real hardware.
    But could it? There is no technological reason that prevents a closer or even an improved emulation of the original hardware from being possible, right? Are there various electronic components that just aren't manufactured any longer in this day and age or is it a matter of not totally understanding the inner workings of the original NES, SNES, or whatever hardware? I'm guessing that those might be contributing factors, but I imagine keeping the bottom line as low as possible is more than likely the reason famiclones will always be subpar at best.
    Last edited by treismac; 10-06-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's time for the full review of the RetroN2:

System:

The build quality of the RetroN2 leaves a bit to be desired. It's fairly lightweight and feels a bit cheap, especially since there doesn't appear to be any kind of finish to the paint. It's like it was just applied there and forgotten. The plastic itself isn't quite as sturdy as certain other clones, too, particularly the system selector switch, which feels so damn cheap, it would give you the impression you're gonna break the switch.

When it comes to aesthetics, the RetroN2 is a big zero. It looks as if Hyperkin made a prototype out of Lego bricks, then decided to base their mold off of that without the pegs on which to lock the bricks together. The gray and purple model like I had looks absolutely hideous in person; the gray looks like some cheap silver and the purple is so pale, it looks almost pink.

The RetroN2 adds itself to a growing list of clones with S-Video. First it was the RetroDuo, then the RetroN3, and now, the RetroN2, but we'll talk more about the quality of the S-Video output later.

Small warning about the Eject lever: be sure you keep a hand on your carts if you're gonna use it because it's so strong, it will send your cartridges flying out of the console. The Eject lever is pretty much pointless because it's only for the Super NES side, which doesn't have a death grip at all. The NES side doesn't have a death grip, either, but there were times where I've had NES cartridges get stuck in the slot. It would have been a lot better to have had an Eject lever for both cartridge slots.

Pack-in accessories:

When it comes to the pack-in accessories, they range from decent to downright terrible. First off, the console doesn't even come with an S-Video cable, just a simple Composite cable. And what a pile of crap it is; it's the same super flimsy cable I got with my second FC Twin that frayed after just a few days. Even the NES controller included isn't very good. The plastic feels okay, but the controller feels so hollow, it makes you wonder if there's anything in it. The buttons stick out further than on an actual NES controller, but they are responsive, HOWEVER, the big problem with this controller is the D-pad. It's EXTREMELY sensitive and has no peg to prevent the entire D-pad from being pushed down. The Super NES controller is better; in fact, it actually is 100% identical to the FC Twin's pack-in controllers with the exception of the paint job. This means the controller is quite responsive (perhaps a little too much on the D-pad, but it's nowhere near as bad as the NES controller), however, you will feel the paint that was applied to the controller, which, like the console, is unfinished. The power supply, though, is the usual brick supplied with Famiclones that's not exactly that big (but still obstructs 2 power outlets), but is pretty heavy. Said power supply is rated DC 10V 600mA with center negative, so remember this if you get a RetroN2 with a faulty power supply or if you lose your RetroN2's power supply.

Accuracy and A/V quality:

-NES: The video out of the RetroN2 is actually pretty damn good. It's sharp, it's bright, the colors are very vibrant, it actually looks good. Well, in Composite, at least. The RetroN2 does output NES video via S-Video, most likely by passing the Composite video through the S-Video output, but unlike RetroBit's RetroDuo, the NES side through S-Video is actually not so bad. The colors are a little more dull and the sharpness isn't quite as high as through Composite, but it's acceptable. Word of note: some games may have minor to severe vertical lines in the video output, especially games with a lot of blue. There also seems to be some interference in the NES video output as on bright colors, you will notice scrolling diagonal lines. Audio accuracy is almost perfect, but there are problems preventing the NES side of the RetroN2 from being able to output perfect NES audio. First off, some of the square waves sound a little off (this is not the typical reversed 50% and 75% duty cycles; they're correct on the RetroN2). It's like they're filtered, in a way. Secondly, the DPCM is very quiet and completely screwed up, so DPCM-heavy games will have some pretty messed-up audio. The third problem is audio distortion. The RetroN2's NES audio output is EXTREMELY loud, so loud it nearly clips. Some games are unaffected by this excessively loud audio output, but other games suffer bigtime and can get severely garbled. The audio output is very clear, though.

-Super NES: Much like the NES side, the Super NES Composite video output is quite good. It's slightly sharper than other 2-in-1 NES/Super NES combo clones, though it does have some rather dull colors. S-Video, though, is a complete mess. The video is brighter and sharper than Composite, but still has dull colors and is VERY highly prone to varying degrees of sync issues. These issues will vary depending on your TV and can range from minor screen tearing where there's anything white along with complete loss of sync on white screens to a desynced mess and major screen tearing. It's a shame, really, because S-Video looks nice out of the RetroN2 when it's actually synced. The audio, though, is where the Super NES side of the RetroN2 fails pretty badly. Don't get me wrong, it is accurate, but Hyperkin, like Yobo did with the FC3 Plus, cheapened out on the Super NES audio by making the Super NES side of the RetroN2 output audio in DUAL MONO. That's right, there is no Stereo sound whatsoever out of this clone unless you mod the console to get Stereo audio out of it. That's a HUGE no-no on Super Famiclones considering the Super NES natively outputs Stereo audio, and to top it off, games with loud audio and lots of bass tend to get garbled, not as badly as certain NES games on the NES side, but they still get garbled. UN Squadron particularly falls victim to this as the game is very loud and has pretty strong bass.

Compatibility:

Here's a full list of all the games I've tested on the RetroN2 and whether they work or not:

NES:

1943: compatible
    After Burner: semi-compatible (plays with missing backgrounds)
    Air Fortress: compatible
    Al Unser Jr. Turbo Racing: compatible
    Arkanoid: compatible
    Blaster Master: compatible
    Captain Skyhawk: compatible
    Castlevania: compatible
    Castlevania II: compatible
    Castlevania III: INCOMPATIBLE (crashes when you begin Stage 1 all while having graphical errors until then)
    Contra: compatible
    Duck Hunt (standalone cart): compatible
    Excitebike: compatible
    Flight of the Intruder: compatible
    Formula 1 Built to Win: compatible
    Galaxy 5000: compatible
    G.I. Joe: compatible
    Gradius: compatible
    Gumshoe: compatible
    Gun.Smoke: compatible
    Gyruss: compatible
    Hogan's Alley: compatible
    Image Fight: compatible
    Jackal: compatible
    Kung Fu: compatible
    Life Force: compatible
    MegaMan: compatible
    MegaMan 2: compatible
    MegaMan 3: compatible
    MegaMan 4: compatible
    MegaMan 5: compatible
    MegaMan 6: compatible
    Metal Gear: compatible
    Ninja Crusaders: compatible
    Ninja Gaiden: compatible
    Mike Tyson's PUNCH-OUT!!: compatible
    Rad Racer: compatible
    Rad Racer II: semi-compatible (plays with severe graphical errors)
    Section Z: compatible
    Side Pocket: compatible
    Sky Shark: compatible
    Snake's Revenge: compatible
    Spy Hunter: compatible
    Stealth ATF: compatible
    Super C: compatible
    Super Mario Bros. (standalone cart): compatible
    Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt: compatible
    Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet: compatible
    Super Mario Bros. 2: compatible
    Super Mario Bros. 3: compatible
    Super Sprint: compatible
    Tetris (Nintendo version): compatible
    Tetris (Tengen version): compatible
    Tetris 2: compatible
    The Hunt for Red October: compatible
    The Legend of Zelda: compatible
    Thunderbirds: compatible
    Tiger-Heli: compatible
    Top Gun: compatible
    Top Gun The Second Mission: compatible
    Vindicators: compatible
    Wizards & Warriors: compatible
    Zanac: compatible

Famicom:

Akumajou Densetsu: semi-compatible (audio from VRC6 is inaudible)
    B-Wings: compatible
    Booby Kids: compatible
    De-Block: compatible
    Dragon Slayer IV: compatible
    Gradius: compatible
    Gradius II: compatible
    Highway Star: compatible
    Knight Rider: compatible
    Layla: compatible
    Mappy: compatible
    Mario Open Golf: compatible
    Pac-Land: compatible
    Plasma Ball: questionable (your character seems to just spin around on his own)
    Popeye: compatible
    Rampart: compatible
    RockMan 4: compatible
    Salamander: compatible
    SonSon: compatible
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (pirate cart of the Japanese Disk System version): compatible
    Super Mario Bros. 3: compatible
    The Wing of Madoola: compatible
    TwinBee 3: compatible

NES/Famicom pirate multicarts:

31-in-1: compatible
    15-in-1: compatible
    71-in-1: compatible
    110-in-1: compatible
    190-in-1: compatible

Super NES:

Arkanoid Doh it Again: compatible
    Axelay: compatible
    Battle Grand Prix: compatible
    Brett Hull Hockey '95: compatible
    Contra III: compatible
    Darius Twin: compatible
    Doom: compatible
    F-Zero: compatible
    Gradius III: compatible
    Lethal Enforcers: compatible
    Lock-On: compatible
    Michael Andretti's IndyCar Challenge: compatible
    NHL 98: compatible
    Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing: compatible
    Pilotwings: compatible
    Raiden Trad: compatible
    R-Type III: compatible
    Star Trek Starfleet Academy: compatible
    StarFox: compatible
    Strike Gunner STG: compatible
    Stunt Race FX: compatible
    Super Castlevania IV: compatible
    Super Mario Kart: compatible
    Super Nova: compatible
    Super R-Type: compatible
    Super Strike Eagle: compatible
    Thunder Spirits: compatible
    Top Gear: compatible
    Top Gear 2: compatible
    Top Gear 3000: compatible
    UN Squadron: compatible
    WarpSpeed: compatible
    Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits: compatible
    Wing Commander: compatible
    Wings 2 - Aces High: compatible

Super Famicom:

Gradius III: compatible
    Jaleco Rally Big Run: compatible
    Monster Maker III: compatible
    Super Mario RPG (checks for a lockout chip, revision unknown as of yet): INCOMPATIBLE (black screen)
    Super Mario World: compatible

-Super GameBoy: compatible, but beware, some games may sound really bad, especially since the audio out of the Super GameBoy is louder compared to that of the RetroN2's clone SPC700 (which, in itself, is louder than how a Super GameBoy sounds on a real Super NES)

-RetroZone PowerPak: INCOMPATBILE (shows the PowerPak text when first loaded, flashes Card error - not ready very quickly when you press the Reset button)

Now, I didn't have a chance to test many accessories, but this is what I managed to try out:

-NES "brick" controller: compatible
    -NES dogbone controller: compatible
    -NES Zapper: compatible (no problems with this unlike the RetroN3)
    -Official Super NES controller: compatible
    -Super NES mouse: compatible
    -Konami Justifier: INCOMPATIBLE (does not work at all)

Lack of compatibility with games having the SA-1 co-processor that check for a lockout chip inside the console should not be surprising as Hyperkin cannot put a clone lockout chip in the RetroN2 or any other Super Famiclone as they risk legal issues with Nintendo. The compatibility issues with the NES side, however, are unacceptable (except maybe the PowerPak as I have yet to see an NOAC-based clone work correctly with it). With the exception of After Burner and the PowerPak, the RetroN3 Version 2, which uses an NOAC with reversed duty cycles, works with what the RetroN2 does not. Talk about a complete lack of consistency in Hyperkin's clone hardware lineup. They go forwards one way (compatibility) and backwards the other way (accuracy). I also wonder why the Konami Justifier doesn't work. It's like my RetroDuo v2.0 where my Justifier (or Justifiers, rather, as I have both the blue and pink Justifiers) doesn't work on my RetroDuo v2.0, yet on Satoshi_Matrix's RetroDuo v2.0, the Justifier works fine. Might just be a problem with my particular console. Someone will have to confirm this for me.

Another thing: you can't use Super NES controllers to play NES games. Each side of the RetroN2 is limited to the system's respective controllers.

And that's the RetroN2. If you'd like to comment on or add anything to this review, feel free to do so.

In the coming days, I will have RetroN2 vs. Original Hardware Part 1 up on YouTube so you can see for yourself some direct capture from the RetroN2. No hardware teardown like I usually do since I no longer have the RetroN2, but if someone gets a RetroN2 and is willing to take some good pictures of the motherboard, I will take a good hard look at all the circuitry in the RetroN2.
    Last edited by Ace; 10-07-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Good review, good breakdown of the quality/functionality.

Personally since I own a Retro Duo and a Retron 3 v2 (along with a few other multi-system clones) I don't have much of a need for a Retron 2 but it's nice to see that we continue to build a comprehensive review database of these systems here.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't actually need any of the clones I have, but I've made it my personal goal to collect as many of the legal post-2005 Famiclones, Geniclones and Super Famiclones as possible and document the ins and outs of each one of them so as to direct people who want clones to the best clone for their needs (and because I enjoy messing around with them). Of course, if original hardware is included in the question, then I'll direct them towards that rather than the clones, but if someone asks only about clones and doesn't make mention of original hardware at all, I'll be able to provide them and others who are interested in clone hardware with all the information they need to get the best clone for their needs.

Also made a small edit to my review as I forgot to mention something regarding whether Super NES controllers work on the RetroN2 to play NES games or not. Basically, you can't cross over controllers. Each side of the RetroN2 is limited to its own respective controllers.
    Last edited by Ace; 10-07-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    But could it? There is no technological reason that prevents a closer or even an improved emulation of the original hardware from being possible, right? Are there various electronic components that just aren't manufactured any longer in this day and age or is it a matter of not totally understanding the inner workings of the original NES, SNES, or whatever hardware? I'm guessing that those might be contributing factors, but I imagine keeping the bottom line as low as possible is more than likely the reason famiclones will always be subpar at best.
    The problem is that the companies making these products are just taking the same dogshit chipsets that the $5 chinese clones use and sticking them in a new package.
    It's hardly impossible to make something as good as, if not better than, the original hardware, but that's not where the clone market is heading. It's just too expensive to develop something like that.
    The best clone hardware available right now is expensive, FPGA-based stuff like the minimig or FPGA Arcade Replay, which can be updated, upgraded, and are potentially better than the 'real thing'.
    If we're lucky, some industrious person will make console cores available for that type of equipment.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RetroN2 vs. Original Hardware Part 1 is up on YouTube. You can now see 10 NES games in action on the RetroN2 and how they compare to a Front-Loader NES.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Semiotical

Hey thanks Ace for that video. Looking at your Youtube channel, you really put a lot of effort into the clone comparisons.

I'm relatively new to getting back into NES and SNES games and the most practical thing for me is to use a clone system. At the moment I have a Retron2, which is ok. But you said that the RetroDuo V.3 is the superior clone system. Now I'm fairly sure that the local folks in my town don't carry any of those. If I was to purchase one online, what should I look for in order to know I'm getting the RetroDuo V.3 as opposed to an earlier version?

And again thank you for the video. I was definitely seeing the vertical lines in the Retron2 as well as the audio issues. I guess I never would have noticed without the back to back comparisons. I was really surprised how Mega Man 2's audio was wonky compared to the others on the Retron2.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Semiotical View Post
    I'm relatively new to getting back into NES and SNES games and the most practical thing for me is to use a clone system. At the moment I have a Retron2, which is ok. But you said that the RetroDuo V.3 is the superior clone system. Now I'm fairly sure that the local folks in my town don't carry any of those. If I was to purchase one online, what should I look for in order to know I'm getting the RetroDuo V.3 as opposed to an earlier version?
    What you have to look for is the box art, which is completely different between the RetroDuo v2.0 and v3.0. The RetroDuo v2.0 comes in a box like this and has two extra paint jobs the v3.0 doesn't have, which are white with blue buttons and cartridge slot dust covers as shown in the image, and two-tone dark red and gold:

The RetroDuo v3.0 has a completely redesigned box and has an exclusive paint job dubbed "Mascot Edition" with the console painted in a high-gloss blue, the buttons yellow and the cartridge slot covers red (Mario's colors, essentially, which is the paint job I got the RetroDuo v3.0 in). I can't get a proper image for you just yet, but just remember the RetroDuo v2.0's box and you'll be fine.

And again thank you for the video.
    And thank you for the kind words.

I was really surprised how Mega Man 2's audio was wonky compared to the others on the Retron2.
    So was I. It's funny, the RetroN2 had a promising start when I first played Life Force on the console. Video was terrific and the audio was accurate (though VERY loud). Everything then went downhill from there. First, the audio distortion you heard, followed by a complete failure to play Castlevania III, then Super NES dual Mono audio, and the final straw was the horrible Super NES S-Video that's IMMENSELY prone to sync issues. I wasn't very pleased with having bought the RetroN2, so I spent an entire 5 hours getting footage from all my NES, Super NES and GameBoy games for RetroN2 vs. Original Hardware before I exchanged the system for the RetroDuo v3.0 Mascot Edition. Aside from worse NES audio, no NES controller ports and slightly more dull Composite video, the RetroDuo v3.0 is overall better than the RetroN2, and when you add in the missing components from the audio amp (which I still need to see if the solder points have changed compared to the RetroDuo v2.0), you have the best 2-in-1 NES/Super NES combo clone, which you can turn into a 3-in-1 by adding the RetroGen Adapter.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys... I know you have a lot of hate for MyTurnToPlay's comments on Hyperkin, but you know what? I did say he's on to something, and I'm truly starting to believe there's a good reason why he hates Hyperkin. Here's why (it's *somewhat* related to the RetroN2, though it's generally off-topic as this has to do with another of Hyperkin's products):

This concerns the RetroN3. I was lent a fairly recent RetroN3 which appears to be a new RetroN3 Version 3. I've found a revised Genesis/Super NES motherboard as the date stamped on the board in question is 2011-8-13 rather than 2009-9-25 as I've seen in the two other RetroN3s I've had, and the NES side is a bit different than the previous RetroN3 Version 2. If you remember in my full review of the RetroN2, I had said there was a complete lack of consistency with Hyperkin's clone hardware lineup due to how the RetroN3 can play Castlevania III, yet is less accurate than the RetroN2. You know what? After having used this supposed RetroN3 Version 3, my opinion of the RetroN2 is starting to change, and Hyperkin's lack of consistency appears to have become "paying more = getting inferior crap." Remember how the RetroN3 Version 1 couldn't play Castlevania III, but the RetroN3 Version 2 did? Guess what? CASTLEVANIA III IS NO LONGER COMPATIBLE WITH THE RETRON3 VERSION 3!!! To make matters worse, I couldn't even get Gradius II for the Famicom working on said system; I just keep getting a red screen!

What a bunch of f***ing garbage. You're actually getting an INFERIOR SYSTEM ALTOGETHER when it comes to playing NES and Super NES games with the RetroN3 as compared to the RetroN2 now! This list sums up the RetroN2 and RetroN3 Version 3:

RetroN2 NES side:

-Correct duty cycles but distorted sound and screwed-up DPCM
    -Will not play Castlevania III
    -Plays Rad Racer II with severe graphical garbage
    -Plays After Burner with missing backgrounds
    -Very accurate video output

RetroN2 Super NES side:

-Slightly dull, but generally good Composite video
    -Dual Mono audio that gets slightly garbled, but is listenable
    -Messy S-Video

RetroN3 Version 3 NES side:

-Reversed duty cycles, but no audio distortion
    -Will not play Castlevania III
    -Plays Rad Racer II with severe graphical garbage
    -Plays After Burner with missing backgrounds
    -Will not play Gradius II (I was DISGUSTED by this)
    -Video output has some slightly off colors

RetroN3 Version 3 Super NES side:

-Dark Composite video with dull colors
    -Stereo sound that's very heavily high-pass filtered, muffled and INSANELY distorted
    -Overly bright S-Video

Again, Hyperkin defies the logic of the more expensive piece of hardware being able to do more than the cheaper piece of hardware. The RetroN2 is a more accurate, more compatible (I know it's just one game, but if a Gradius game in particular will not work, I will tear the damn console apart when I talk about it) and less problematic NES than the RetroN3 Version 3 (the latter even has the same issues with the Zapper it's had since it was first released). Same for the Super NES side; the RetroN2, despite dual Mono audio and very messy S-Video, will provide a much more accurate and overall better experience than the RetroN3 Version 3.

I will have to side with MyTurnToPlay on this one. It really looks as if Hyperkin is taking advantage of the fact most people who buy clones seem too stupid to notice severe flaws with the clone in question, even more so than RetroBit who has NEVER revised the NES audio amp on the RetroDuo despite multiple people showing there are two missing components on the audio amp.

I know one shouldn't expect perfection from a clone, and I don't, but what's unacceptable is when companies go backwards with their hardware by making bone-headed moves like this. If Hyperkin would have put an NOAC like the one in the RetroDuo v3.0 in the RetroN3 Version 3 and fixed the absolutely MURDERED audio on the Super NES side (it's just a question of changing 4 resistors, why the hell haven't they done it yet?!) then their RetroN lineup would actually make sense. The RetroN1 appears to be a relatively inexpensive, 90% accurate and quite compatible NES-only clone (no Castlevania III compatibility, but for a console at that price point, I wouldn't expect that), the RetroN2 adds a decent Super NES (minus messy S-Video) for a higher price (though screws up the NES audio by making it too loud), and the RetroN3 adds a decent Genesis all while ROYALLY screwing up both the NES and Super NES sides with a crap NOAC and crap audio amp at an even higher price point. I'm sorry, but one should expect a better product if they have to shell out more money to get it. Instead, Hyperkin's RetroN lineup appears to get progressively worse at the higher price points. WTF?

Rant aside, let's get back on topic. I will be posting RetroN2 vs. Original Hardware Part 2 in the coming days showing 10 more NES games on the RetroN2 and on a Front-Loader NES.

EDIT: I was a bit too hasty with Gradius II. It actually does work on the RetroN3 Version 3.

Still doesn't hide the fact Hyperkin is making bone-headed moves with the hardware in their clones.
    Last edited by Ace; 10-19-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amazing, baffling, disappointing. I know GameGavel has already decided to cease dealing with Hyperkin because of the SupaBoy, and at this rate, it wouldn't surprise me if other online specialty shops follow suit if customer dissatisfaction is strident enough. At a certain point quality control HAS to matter to them, though I realize that posting on an online message board isn't enough. There are alternative products to everything Hyperkin sells, and at this point I'm much more likely to point people towards RetroBit than Hyperkin.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    Amazing, baffling, disappointing. I know GameGavel has already decided to cease dealing with Hyperkin because of the SupaBoy, and at this rate, it wouldn't surprise me if other online specialty shops follow suit if customer dissatisfaction is strident enough.
    Good on them. At first, I didn't think too negatively of Hyperkin aside from the NES fiasco with the RetroN3 Version 1, which was said to have an NOAC that was superior to the one found in the FC Mobile II. It instead got a piece of crap NOAC with reversed duty cycles, compatibility issues and incorrect cartridge slot wiring. The system then gets revised to improve NES compatibility, but in the process, Super NES audio goes down the toilet due to 4 resistors on the audio amp being far too weak. Then, the SupaBoy comes along and has all sorts of issues with whining noises (is that right?). As I was more interested in Yobo Gameware's FC16 Go for its RF wireless controllers back then, I didn't think too much of it, but did see it as a pretty nasty annoyance. And then, the RetroN2... man, did my opinion on Hyperkin take a nosedive from this one. First sign of a problem: no Castlevania III compatibility on the NES side. The system is $10 more expensive to purchase here than the RetroDuo v3.0, you would expect the damn thing to play the f***ing game! And the Super NES side was botched in two aspects as I mentioned: dual Mono audio (seriously, WTF?! The only other clone that has dual Mono audio like this is the FC3 Plus, but I have yet to see a single 2-in-1 NES/Super NES combo clone with this problem. I can't say if the Tomee C2 has Stereo Super NES audio, but I know the FC Twin and RetroDuo v2.0 and v3.0 do) and very messy S-Video (which I think Hyperkin is trying to hide by not providing an S-Video cable with the system, something RetroBit does NOT do with the RetroDuo as a dual Composite/S-Video cable is included with the system). The last straw for me is this supposed RetroN3 Version 3. They *almost* had it right with the NES side on the RetroN3 Version 2, all Hyperkin had to do was to swap out the NOAC for one similar to the one found in the RetroDuo. Instead, it looks as if they went back to the NOAC of the RetroN3 Version 1 and wired the cartridge slot correctly for a change (minus non-existent CIRAM /CE and /A13 signals). The Genesis side still uses that TCT-6801 GOAC which falls short on compatibility as it cannot play Virtua Racing no matter what you do to the system, and the Super NES side is the same unbearable mess.

Hyperkin needs to get their s*** together. This is ridiculous.

At a certain point quality control HAS to matter to them, though I realize that posting on an online message board isn't enough.
    I thought Hyperkin would have done that by now, but apparently, quality control does not exist for them. As a matter of fact, the RetroN3 Version 3 I have is partially faulty as the power button has a weak spring in it, which either prevents the console from staying on or prevents it from shutting off unless I nudge the button. And every RetroN3 I've had gave me and the people who now have the consoles (one was lent to me, the other was one I bought for a friend who was looking to get some Genesis and Super NES games but was a bit tight on space):

-RetroN3 Version 1: Plug in a Super NES controller into Player 1's port and the console would experience severe electrical problems which would cause major audio buzzing, lines on the screen, and if a SuperFX game or the Super GameBoy was plugged into the console, they would constantly reset themselves until they'd outright crash.
    -RetroN3 Version 2: Had graphical glitches with Super NES games right out of the box which went away, only to have another problem come up, which was that the Super NES side would not recognize certain controllers.
    -RetroN3 Version 3: Finicky power button as I just mentioned.

Only the RetroN2 was defect-free, but what good is that when the hardware is crap to begin with? There's no way in hell I'd hold on to that, and I didn't. I got it exchanged for a RetroDuo v3.0 Mascot Edition. A MUCH better choice despite considerably worse NES audio (which can be fixed with some soldering, though not everyone can do this) and unusable NES S-Video

There are alternative products to everything Hyperkin sells, and at this point I'm much more likely to point people towards RetroBit than Hyperkin.
    I'd direct people towards RetroBit or Yobo Gameware clones. I've had good experiences with their systems, though I wasn't impressed with Yobo's GN Twin 2-in-1 NES/Genesis combo clone as that was THE WORST Famiclone I've ever used (VERY bad video, weak and heavily muffled audio, lower-than-normal compatibility), and the Genesis side had pretty nasty audio issues and controller issues (pretty severe input lag).

In all honesty, if I owned a game shop and would sell clone consoles, I'd sell the following (modded clones included):

-RetroBit RetroDuo v3.0
    -Yobo Gameware FC3 Plus
    -RetroBit Retro Entertainment System/Yobo Gameware FC Game Console (they're essentially the same now)
    -Yobo Gameware FC16 Go
    -RetroBit RetroDuo Portable

The mods in question would be the following:

-RetroDuo NES audio fix
    -Compatibility fix for Castlevania III on the RES/FC Game Console, FC3 Plus and the RetroPort included with the RetroDuo Portable (all you need is a 74xx04 to generate /A13, though I'm not sure if the game will work from start to finish with this mod)
    -New Stereo audio amps for the Genesis and Super NES sides of the FC3 Plus
    -*maybe* a new NES board for the FC3 Plus (it's a terrible NES, but a terrific Genesis and Super NES)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RetroN2 vs. Original Hardware Part 2 is up on YouTube. Have a look at 10 more NES games in action on the Front-Loader NES and on the RetroN2:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pondshus2 View Post
    This is real dashes out there.
    ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    ?????
    Spambot. They're getting trickier to spot, but the lapses into nonsense, random parroting of other posters and/or link in the sig always give the game away.

World Class Internet User Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Spambot. They're getting trickier to spot, but the lapses into nonsense, random parroting of other posters and/or link in the sig always give the game away.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I saw their signature.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pondshus2 View Post
    Nintendo is actually making themselves look bad a many occasions now. Maybe someone who hates Nintendo now owns the company. Come on guys what has happened to you. This is real dashes out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    ?????
    Probably about this.