Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Donkey Kong: Original Edition (Includes Cement Factory) with the purchase of (mostly lame) Nintendo DS digital games

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Get Donkey Kong: Original Edition (Includes Cement Factory) with the purchase of (mostly lame) Nintendo DS digital games

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/01/bu...are-donkey-ko/

That would be a fun game to play, it's kind of a meh list of games, though.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Meh. The Pie Factory DK NES ROM has been extracted and converted into the standard .nes format, allowing it to be played on any NES emulator, the powerpak, or a reproduction cart. I'm not sure why anyone would really care at this point.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holding it back for ransom. Nice job Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Hey, you get it with Paper Mario? That's pretty sweet.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the significance of it being "a special version of the NES Donkey Kong that has been edited to add the "cement factory" level" rather than, you know, the arcade game?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Cool. I was planning on getting Crosswords digitally anyway.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    What's the significance of it being "a special version of the NES Donkey Kong that has been edited to add the "cement factory" level" rather than, you know, the arcade game?
    The 25+ year wait to fix such a glaring omission.

Even more inexplicably the Wii release hit Europe yet not USA.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Meh. The Pie Factory DK NES ROM has been extracted and converted into the standard .nes format, allowing it to be played on any NES emulator, the powerpak, or a reproduction cart. I'm not sure why anyone would really care at this point.
    I kind of doubt they're doing this to target us. The vast majority of their consumers don't even own a NES (Let alone a PowerPak or any reproduction cartridge of any sort) and I imagine the percentage that delves into homebrew emulation on a PC or various other platforms is pretty miniscule as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    Hey, you get it with Paper Mario? That's pretty sweet.
    If you buy it digitally.

Not something I'd personally do when there's a full fledged retail release that's going to be widely available for almost the same price (I assume the download is slightly discounted but maybe I'm wrong).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-01-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

For what it's worth, Crosswords is a really good DS crossword and letter jumble game for DS. If you're into those, i would recommend it. I've easily logged hundreds of hours on my copy for DS.

Unfortunately the NES rom of DK is pretty terrible IMO...it's certainly easier than the real arcade game, but it's missing so much stuff in addition to the pie level...can anybody confirm if this version has the opening attract and the how high can you go screens?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Yeah these are pretty much my thoughts. I'm a little tired of MAME being my only option to play the authentic DK arcade game.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While it is by no means overwhelming, Nintendo does have an arcade catalog. Why they can't be bothered to port some of them is beyond me. Besides Donkey Kong, the arcade versions of Punch Out!! and Mario Bros. would be worth popping up on the the Virtual Console, and let us not forget about Vs. Super Mario Bros., which should have made it to the Wii's "limited edition" Super Mario Bros. Collection ripoff.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    IIf you buy it digitally.

Not something I'd personally do when there's a full fledged retail release that's going to be widely available for almost the same price (I assume the download is slightly discounted but maybe I'm wrong).
    Agreed. I plan on buying the physical copy of Paper Mario and Professor Layton. Oh well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    While it is by no means overwhelming, Nintendo does have an arcade catalog. Why they can't be bothered to port some of them is beyond me. Besides Donkey Kong, the arcade versions of Punch Out!! and Mario Bros. would be worth popping up on the the Virtual Console, and let us not forget about Vs. Super Mario Bros., which should have made it to the Wii's "limited edition" Super Mario Bros. Collection ripoff.
    Donkey Kong I believe there's some legal reasoning why the arcade version doesn't come around, owing to its development... I'm guessing there may be a similar story for some of the other early arcade games.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    Donkey Kong I believe there's some legal reasoning why the arcade version doesn't come around, owing to its development... I'm guessing there may be a similar story for some of the other early arcade games.
    A 20+ year old lawsuit that was settled out of court about the ownership of the source code. He also went after some other high profile releases he was involved in and that have since been rereleased by other companies. So there's no reason to think he still has any claims to the arcade source code here. He just wanted a financial settlement and surely didn't see any possibility of the source code being of any financial worth again, so I imagine Nintendo gained clear title towards it in the settlement just like those other instances.

And there's nothing stopping them from programming a recreation of it like they did in Donkey Kong 64 even if they lack the source code (The lawsuit had nothing to do with game concept or trademark ownership, it was all about the source code itself). And they have a decent chunk of arcade classics outside of Donkey Kong that they could rerelease, including several that ran on an arcade version of their NES hardware that would probably require minimum effort to get going even on the existing Wii Virtual Console.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    Yeah these are pretty much my thoughts. I'm a little tired of MAME being my only option to play the authentic DK arcade game.
    Get Donkey Kong 64.

The recreation in there is excellent and to 99% of us out there, indistinguisble from the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Unfortunately the NES rom of DK is pretty terrible IMO...it's certainly easier than the real arcade game, but it's missing so much stuff in addition to the pie level...can anybody confirm if this version has the opening attract and the how high can you go screens?
    While I was always puzzled why it wasn't closer to the arcade release, I thought what was there was pretty well done. It's a solid take on the arcade game and sadly there's not much out there that even rivals it or tops it with there just being a handful of other decent classic era ports with their own issues out there (And several horrible attempts like the Intellivision version) and the DK64 recreation from the late 90's (And what was done on DK94' on the Game Boy would best be described as a nod to the arcade original and little else). And of course there's an excellent modern Intellivision homebrew and an upcoming Colecovision homebrew that looks like it might be as close to 100% as we're ever going to see.

This version doesn't have that, but it does have the most important missing elements. The pie factory level is there and Donkey Kong grabs Pauline when he escapes to the next area.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-02-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    While I was always puzzled why it wasn't closer to the arcade release, I thought what was there was pretty well done. It's a solid take on the arcade game and sadly there's not much out there that even rivals it or tops it with there just being a handful of other decent classic era ports with their own issues out there (And several horrible attempts like the Intellivision version) and the DK64 recreation from the late 90's (And what was done on DK94' on the Game Boy would best be described as a nod to the arcade original and little else). And of course there's an excellent modern Intellivision homebrew and an upcoming Colecovision homebrew that looks like it might be as close to 100% as we're ever going to see.

This version doesn't have that, but it does have the most important missing elements. The pie factory level is there and Donkey Kong grabs Pauline when he escapes to the next area.
    Well, that's something.

Interesting that the game that they consider their most important arcade release has never gotten an authentic home version (outside of the DK64 hidden thing) on any Nintendo console or portable.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The reason that the home game didn't include missing elements such as the cement factory level was because early NES/Famicom cartridges didn't have enough storage space in the ROM chips for the additional level nor the omitted animations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Well, that's something.

Interesting that the game that they consider their most important arcade release has never gotten an authentic home version (outside of the DK64 hidden thing) on any Nintendo console or portable.
    The Video Game Historian makes the case that the fate of Nintendo hinged on Donkey Kong and the court case of Nintendo against Universal over the copyrights of the IP.

http://retrowaretv.com/the-gaming-hi...l-vs-nintendo/
    Last edited by treismac; 10-03-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just hope they sell the game on its own as I refuse to buy a game on a card as a digital copy I have no rights to and the other non-carry over titles seem like a waste.

It would be nice if they also brought up the EU only Classic Mario Bros which put back the arcade intros and other graphics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I just hope they sell the game on its own as I refuse to buy a game on a card as a digital copy I have no rights to and the other non-carry over titles seem like a waste.

It would be nice if they also brought up the EU only Classic Mario Bros which put back the arcade intros and other graphics.
    And it would be nice to get them in console form. It appears as if this Donkey Kong NES update is going to be a 3DS exclusive for now even though other territories have saw it be made available in some capacity on the Wii.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Wait wait wait wait...

Someone catch me up here. What's this about Pie Factories, Cement Factories etc. in Donkey Kong?

I'm most familiar with Donkey Kong Classics on NES and DK94 on Gameboy. I've never heard of this.