Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get Donkey Kong: Original Edition (Includes Cement Factory) with the purchase of (mostly lame) Nintendo DS digital games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you've played through Donkey Kong for the Game Boy, you've played that game's version of it. The first four levels are based on the original's 4 levels.

I believe the pie factory is level #2 in that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Wait wait wait wait...

Someone catch me up here. What's this about Pie Factories, Cement Factories etc. in Donkey Kong?

I'm most familiar with Donkey Kong Classics on NES and DK94 on Gameboy. I've never heard of this.
    Kept short and simple. Some time ago the game popped out in Europe on the Wii as a virtual console title. It got ripped, and this rip was put into .NES header rom format. Some idiot decided to call it the 'pie factory' on custom labels for some reason and started printing labels calling it the DK Pie Factory version. I know it's slang for the cement vats that roll by but I've always found the term stupid and dumb enough I never bought the repro because of the stupid label. I do have the rom and the Classic Mario one too, and a powerpak.

DK Classics is just DK and DKJr original NES carts on one game pack. DK94 on GB has the origina DK 4 stages, but then blows up into a big puzzle action game with like 90+ stages to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    The reason that the home game didn't include missing elements such as the cement factory level was because early NES/Famicom cartridges didn't have enough storage space in the ROM chips for the additional level nor the omitted animations.

It had DK Jr. on the same cart. They could have given us the games separately. It's not like the arcade game was a memory sucking beast either. The C-64 had all 4 levels and the intro fit within 64k.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 10-04-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Kept short and simple. Some time ago the game popped out in Europe on the Wii as a virtual console title. It got ripped, and this rip was put into .NES header rom format. Some idiot decided to call it the 'pie factory' on custom labels for some reason and started printing labels calling it the DK Pie Factory version. I know it's slang for the cement vats that roll by but I've always found the term stupid and dumb enough I never bought the repro because of the stupid label. I do have the rom and the Classic Mario one too, and a powerpak.
    I picture Mario eating the cement and hallucinating the Mushroom Kingdom as a result. It's also why he's so fat. Cement is heavy.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    It had DK Jr. on the same cart. They could have given us the games separately. It's not like the arcade game was a memory sucking beast either. The C-64 had all 4 levels and the intro fit within 64k.
    Except what you are thinking of is 1988's "Donkey Kong Classics" and not the original stand-alone "Donkey Kong." The original Famicom "Donkey Kong" was released in 1983 as one of the launch games for the platform. When the NES launched in New York City in 1985 "Donkey Kong" was one of the three launch titles. When "Donkey Kong Classics" released in 1988 NES ROMs were large enough to house both "Donkey Kong" and "Donkey Kong Junior." After all, five years in computer advancements is like thirty-five regular years' worth of change in the human world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Except what you are thinking of is 1988's "Donkey Kong Classics" and not the original stand-alone "Donkey Kong." The original Famicom "Donkey Kong" was released in 1983 as one of the launch games for the platform. When the NES launched in New York City in 1985 "Donkey Kong" was one of the three launch titles. When "Donkey Kong Classics" released in 1988 NES ROMs were large enough to house both "Donkey Kong" and "Donkey Kong Junior." After all, five years in computer advancements is like thirty-five regular years' worth of change in the human world.
    The Colecovision version from 1982 has the same amount of content. I think they could've fit the other level in there, certainly by 1985 if not 1983.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.