Thread: Bring Back the Adventure Games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bring Back the Adventure Games

So lately we've been discussing text based adventure games. With games released on things like the Commodore 64 up until the mid '90s, they were the coolest things around. One of our writers wrote a really cool piece on it where he talks about his adventures, pardon the pun, with adventure text based games. Give it a read if you want over here:

http://cgmagazine.ca/articles/the-gr...dventures.html

Here is the first paragraph to give you a look into the story which was written. If you would like to read some more, click the aforementioned link.

A few years ago I had the great pleasure to be sitting across from Neil Gaiman.

If you don’t know who he is, maybe the comic book series The Sandman rings a bell. Or the fact that he was the first comic book writer to win the World Fantasy Award. Perhaps Coraline or American Gods, both best-selling novels, strike a chord of familiarity. But none of that is quite as important as this; Neil Gaiman is one of the reasons I went into writing, and here I was, sitting across from him and being paid by an editor to ask him questions. Naturally, being a game journalist, one of the questions I asked as, “Do you like videogames? Which ones are your favourites?”

Thanks guys and feel free to post on both the website and here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am rather confused as to why your thread is titled "Bring Back the Adventure Games" when the article in question is entitled "Looking Back At Text Adventures", a rather limited subset of what might be called adventure games, and particularly when both adventure games in general and text adventures in particular are both still around.

Quote Originally Posted by CGMagazine View Post
    Naturally, being a game journalist, one of the questions I asked as, “Do you like videogames? Which ones are your favourites?”
    Golly, I'm sure no one has thought to ask him that before ever.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Recent Adventure Game releases...
    Gemini Rue
    Machinarium
    Botanicula
    To the Moon
    Deponia
    Back to the Future
    The Walking Dead

And recently funded and coming soon...
    Double Fine Adventure
    Broken Sword 5
    Homestuck Adventure Games
    Tex Murphy Project Fedora
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There have been quite a few new adventures in the Zx Spectrum homebrew scene,in fact 89 text adventures are recorded in the World OF Spectrum (WOS) archive since the year 2000,i used to enjoy the good old text adventures like The Hobbit,Twin Kingdom Valley and Kentilla but moved on when first person dungeon crawlers appeared like Dungeon Master.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infos...y=1&loadpics=0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I am rather confused as to why your thread is titled "Bring Back the Adventure Games" when the article in question is entitled "Looking Back At Text Adventures", a rather limited subset of what might be called adventure games, and particularly when both adventure games in general and text adventures in particular are both still around.

Golly, I'm sure no one has thought to ask him that before ever.
    I'm rather confused as to why you're being such a dick to the OP. Way to make new people feel welcome

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I'm rather confused as to why you're being such a dick to the OP. Way to make new people feel welcome
    I disagree. I don't think it's appropriate for the OP to essentially spam his article here and elsewhere. If he has any interest in participating here, he is more than welcome and certainly after a short while, he could have shared his link. Registering and immediately posting an external link to a badly titled article is not a good way to join any community. Frankly, I'm not sure how this guy qualifies as a journalist as I actually was stupid enough to click through and it's a pretty poorly structured set of paragraphs. In fact, I wouldn't even call it an article, it's more like bragging about meeting Neil Gaiman and some short unconnected thoughts about a few old text adventures.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 10-02-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, assuming we can look at this thread as missing these kinds of games:
    If you really mean text adventures, where graphics aren't a requirement, look up "interactive fiction"

Otherwise you can look at titles like the Phoenix Wright series on the DS. Not sure how good it is, but I believe there was a Harvey Bridman game in the same vein.

I, for one, would have considered the Shenmue games more like graphic adventures(just with mini games and the occasional beat 'em up style fighting).

Depends on what you can find, but I don't think anyone should be missing certain genres if they know where to look. They may not be as plentiful, but they are around, as The Adventurer's post points out.
    Last edited by MidnightRider; 10-02-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Neat, Neil gave me that exact same answer when I asked him 9 years ago. We talked about Hitchhiker's Guide. Nice dude.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read the whole article, and here's my response. You're trying too hard. You think that you know how to write, but you don't. You know language, you know how to write a verbose sentence, but you don't know how to WRITE. Adding more words to your sentences doesn't make them more intelligent. The best thing you could do is to take some basic college journalism classes (seriously). That would give you the structure and discipline to hone your writing skills. Writing (journalism) is for the reader...this article is mental masturbation for the author.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Recent Adventure Game releases...
    Gemini Rue
    Machinarium
    Botanicula
    To the Moon
    Deponia
    Back to the Future
    The Walking Dead

And recently funded and coming soon...
    Double Fine Adventure
    Broken Sword 5
    Homestuck Adventure Games
    Tex Murphy Project Fedora

Can't wait to check out some of these adventure games! , I also Backed broken sword 5 roll on next year!