Thread: Snes Cartridge problem?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Neverzinho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Snes Cartridge problem?

Hey, i think this was the most-correct section to post this.

I'm having a problem with some cartridges. In my entire collection i had only one game that had this problem, Clay Fighter. The problem is that the game only works when it feels to, when it doesn't i have to reinsert it till it does.
    And when it does work, the minimal touch on the cartridge itself, resets the game.

Why I'm upset with this, is because today i received a snes lot, and another game will curse my collection, Street Fighter II. I guess the problem comes with games that have "Fighter" in it lol.
    Exact same symptoms, exact same problem.

Oh and i have another Snes that has a controller port problem, but reads games just fine. And it happens on that snes too, so i guess the problem are the cartridges.

Is this fixable? What causes this?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Use a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean all your game cart contacts until no black/green stuff shows on the Q-Tip.
    Also clean your system cart slot, and if you don't have a slot cleaner, just use a game cart with some alcohol and insert/clean/reinsert.

Also inspect your cart, the contacts may have been worn out to the point there is no metal left on them, in that case, not much can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverzinho View Post
    Hey, i think this was the most-correct section to post this.

I'm having a problem with some cartridges. In my entire collection i had only one game that had this problem, Clay Fighter. The problem is that the game only works when it feels to, when it doesn't i have to reinsert it till it does.
    And when it does work, the minimal touch on the cartridge itself, resets the game.

Why I'm upset with this, is because today i received a snes lot, and another game will curse my collection, Street Fighter II. I guess the problem comes with games that have "Fighter" in it lol.
    Exact same symptoms, exact same problem.

Oh and i have another Snes that has a controller port problem, but reads games just fine. And it happens on that snes too, so i guess the problem are the cartridges.

Is this fixable? What causes this?
    Must do the route

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was a little skeptical on a second clean, because i always clean the games when i receive them with a Q-tip + IPA (or rubbing alcohol).

I couldn't believe the amount of dirt that still was on the Q-tip on the second cleaning. And guess what? It worked! The games work first time, and no longer reset when i touch them.

An easy solution after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't use rubbing alcohol for anything related to gaming! It doesn't get along AT ALL with ABS plastic, which is what pretty much EVERY console and cartridge is made of.

If you have the ability to take the cart apart, then hit the contacts with a Magic Eraser. Works great. Might wanna clean the console itself too. Can't hurt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Don't use rubbing alcohol for anything related to gaming! It doesn't get along AT ALL with ABS plastic, which is what pretty much EVERY console and cartridge is made of.
    I've never heard this before. Do you have any sources? I quick google search didn't reveal anything(the opposite actually).

I worked in the electronics industry and we used isopropyl alcohol(among other blends) to clean circuit boards all the time, some in plastic cases.

...not to mention cleaning marker off many cartridges and never having any problems.
    Last edited by jb143; 10-04-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If we're talking about isopropyl alcohol, I don't think I've ever seen it react with ABS. Goof Off will melt ABS, tho.

Magic Eraser / melamine foam should be a last resort as it's the equivalent of 3k-4k grit sandpaper. Most SNES-era carts should be gold flashed and abrasives should be avoided if possible, including MF, Brasso, and similar compounds. It's not that it will make them stop working, but they may end up needing more frequent cleaning in the long run, depending on environmental conditions.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah we are talking about Ipa (aka rubbing alcohol). I`ve cleaned several carts with ipa, and never had a reaction on the plastic.

On the other hand i had to google what the magic eraser was, i don't think they sell that here. From what i learned it seems too abrasive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah we are talking about Ipa (aka rubbing alcohol).
    I only make the distinction because 'rubbing alcohol' is not always Isopropyl, at least not in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

In fact, getting back to melting ABS, skipping down to the Legislation section of that article:

In the United States, ethyl rubbing alcohol, USP and all preparations coming under the classification of Rubbing Alcohols (defined as those containing ethanol) must be manufactured in accordance with the requirements of the US Treasury Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, using Formula 23-H (8 parts by volume of acetone, 1.5 parts by volume of methyl isobutyl ketone, and 100 parts by volume of ethyl alcohol).
    Acetone will dissolve ABS, so perhaps ethyl rubbing alcohol is what wiggyx has encountered previously. I've made the acetone mistake before and the results are ugly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That makes sense. To me rubbing alcohol is 99,9% alcohol. But i like to always call it IPA to avoid confusion.

Yes acetone will melt it, at least the warning in the back says so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I've never heard this before. Do you have any sources? I quick google search didn't reveal anything(the opposite actually).

I worked in the electronics industry and we used isopropyl alcohol(among other blends) to clean circuit boards all the time, some in plastic cases.

...not to mention cleaning marker off many cartridges and never having any problems.

This is what I'm talking about. Ethyl, not Isopropyl.

ANY Ethyl based compound will eat away at ABS (as far as I know). Ethylene is one of the components used to make ABS and Ethylene products are often used to "weld" ABS components together when assembly of multiple parts is needed to join them into one, single part.

Ethyl on its own isn't nearly as caustic as Ethylene, but Ethyl is the base for Ethylene. It's hard to find specific documentation regarding Ethyl's interaction with ABS on its own, since there's no perceived benefit from contact between the two in the first place, but in most any compound that you create, it will dissolve ABS like butter in a microwave.

P.21 contains info regarding the interaction between ABS and Ethylene-based compounds. It's not complete data, but it's a pretty good indicator that Ethyl should simply be avoided.

http://www.plasticpipe.org/pdf/tr-19...f_chemical.pdf

On the other hand i had to google what the magic eraser was, i don't think they sell that here. From what i learned it seems too abrasive.
    It's not too bad (the ME). In fact, I often use it to de-polish controllers that have been polished by your hands over years of use. It puts a nice, consitant matte texture back on the part without looking like you hit it with a Scotch Bright pad or sandpaper

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I only make the distinction because 'rubbing alcohol' is not always Isopropyl, at least not in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

In fact, getting back to melting ABS, skipping down to the Legislation section of that article:

Acetone will dissolve ABS, so perhaps ethyl rubbing alcohol is what wiggyx has encountered previously. I've made the acetone mistake before and the results are ugly.
    Acetone is most definitely a huge NO-NO for ABS plastic. As an FYI, nail polish remover is acetone. About the only other way you'll see it is at places like Home Depot and Lowes where it's sold along with paint and paint stripper. It's easy to avoid and it should be.

That makes sense. To me rubbing alcohol is 99,9% alcohol. But i like to always call it IPA to avoid confusion.

Yes acetone will melt it, at least the warning in the back says so.
    But it's not. It can be in concentrations far lower and, apparently, can be either Isopropyl or Ethyl. I've never seen Iso sold as rubbing alcohol, but there's a pretty clear pic on the Wiki page, so I guess it is marketed as such too.

So, the point of all this is to avoid ETHYL !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    I've never seen Iso sold as rubbing alcohol, but there's a pretty clear pic on the Wiki page, so I guess it is marketed as such too.

So, the point of all this is to avoid ETHYL !
    Where do you live? Maybe that's the difference. I completely forgot that ethyl alcohol is also considered "rubbing alcohol" as I've always seen (and bought) Isopropyl labeled as such.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cleveland, Ohio.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Iso labelled as rubbing alc. I've never seen it, but then again, I don't look for it very often :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ethyl or ethanol is abs safe but it depends on the denaturing agent, unless you have a still and make your own

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's "safe" but far from optimal. Why risk it when isopropyl is readily available almost everywhere?

http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

ABS Chemical Compatibility

Ethanol B1-Good

Ratings -- Chemical Effect

A = Excellent.

B = Good -- Minor Effect, slight corrosion or discoloration.

C = Fair -- Moderate Effect, not recommended for continuous use. Softening, loss of strength, swelling may occur.

D = Severe Effect, not recommended for ANY use.

N/A = Information not
    available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Where do you live? Maybe that's the difference. I completely forgot that ethyl alcohol is also considered "rubbing alcohol" as I've always seen (and bought) Isopropyl labeled as such.
    Some parts of the world have "rubbing alcohol" as the same stuff you'll find in the booze aisle. We in the states don't due to taxation on booze so we use isoproypl alochol instead.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?