Thread: How is Dragon Quest VI: Realms Of Revelation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default How is Dragon Quest VI: Realms Of Revelation?

I always wanted to own the original Super Famicom version of Dragon Quest VI -- Only got to play it for a few hours via emulation some years ago, loved it but didn't have the time to invest in it. I just ordered the DS remake, Realms Of Revelation on Amazon. For those of you that own it, was it worth the wait to play it after all these years?

How many hours have you invested in it?

From what I understand the gameplay remains pretty much the the same, but the visuals have been given a significant upgrade, it looks wonderful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you enjoyed the other DS Dragon Quest remakes, this one is great too. I wouldn't bother with the SFC translation, it has some bad bugs that freeze the game, and many untranslated strings.

I have to admit, I didn't get through all of DQ 6. It is a freaking long game.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    If you enjoyed the other DS Dragon Quest remakes, this one is great too. I wouldn't bother with the SFC translation, it has some bad bugs that freeze the game, and many untranslated strings.

I have to admit, I didn't get through all of DQ 6. It is a freaking long game.

I haven't played any of the DS Dragon Quest remakes--I've only played a few of the original NES and SNES DQ/DW games and never finished any of them. I plan to be serious about playing though Realms of Revelation though. Glad to hear it's a long game.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've put about 15hrs into DQ6DS recently, I've found it to be pretty good. Frankly, all the DS DQ games seem to be worth playing, though I've only finished 4 so far. I do have over a hundred hours into 9, I really need to get back and finish that one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I've put about 15hrs into DQ6DS recently, I've found it to be pretty good. Frankly, all the DS DQ games seem to be worth playing, though I've only finished 4 so far. I do have over a hundred hours into 9, I really need to get back and finish that one
    Cool beans.

I'll probably get IV: Chapters of the Chosen and V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride if I really enjoy VI. I'm sure I will. That'll be plenty of DQ to keep me occupied until X comes out on Wii U in the U.S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If your a fan of any Dragon Quest game then you'll like 6. I thought 5 was alot better so if you don't have that one get that one too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    If your a fan of any Dragon Quest game then you'll like 6. I thought 5 was alot better so if you don't have that one get that one too.
    Can you expand on how 5 is better than 6 in your opinion?

I'm tempted to just order both 4 and 5, however my most of my entertainment dollars will be going toward a Wii U in Nov, so I have to be careful what I spend.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has VI ever been fan translated? Like, fully. That's a no right?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    Has VI ever been fan translated? Like, fully. That's a no right?
    Close, but not completely.

Quote Originally Posted by readme.txt
    This patch *should* be fully playable through the entire game.
    So what's left? Mostly scattered strings throughout the entire game
    and some of the random effects of certain battle skills (Goof-off
    and Chance).

Here are the current translation stats:

Dialog text: ~93%
    Battle text: ~80%
    Menu/item text: ~95%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Well, I went ahead anyway and ordered DQ IV and V for DS. I know it's a trilogy and I might as well have them.

With that said, I still would like more opinion and thoughts on all 3 games. So post away with some details!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Close, but not completely.

The big problem with the translation patch is that there is a game freezing bug when you try to go back in menus. Very annoying. The patch is also lacking polish, the DS translation is much better. It is a bit disappointing that they took out the monster capturing in the DS version, but because you have a lot of human characters, you aren't likely to really use them anyways.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Update:

I should be getting all 3 games toward the middle to later part of next week. Heh, I love tracking them on USPS.com, very cool. Cannot wait
    These 3 DQ games should keep me going until I get a Wii U and until DQX comes out in the west. These will be my first serious attempts to get into the long-running DQ series. Now understand that I grew up on the classic Phantasy Star games and some of the early FF games. So I'm still relatively new to DQ.

And with that, I'm off to check out some DQ DS trailers on YT.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Don't forget DQIX on DS as well! And even though 4-5-6 are considered to be part of the same trilogy, they're independant one from the other (ie. you don't need to play them in order).

All in all, thoughout the Dragon Warrior/Quest series, the game mechanics don't change much. It's still turn-based combat in random encounters. The difference lies instead in the storylines and the way the world is constructed (in DQ V, the game is divided in chapters that tell the story of each member of the party until the later part of the game, where the whole party is reunited; in DQ VI, you deal with two parallel worlds; in Dragon Warrior VII, you travel through four zones accessible by finding shards that make up a portal).

Even DQ VIII and IX are old-school by anyone's standard. The approach towards the series is at the opposite of the approach being used for Final Fantasy games.

As for DQX, it's still hard to say if the game will come out here, although if it does, I doubt the Wii version will be available. Even though I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan, I still don't know if I would go for DQX if it comes out here for the Wii U (if it does, it may very well be the game that makes me get a Wii U in the first place). The fact that it's a fee-based MMORPG makes it more unlikely to happen before 2013, if not 2014. Heck, I think we're more likely to see a remake of Dragon Quest VII before a localization of Dragon Quest X.

(In case you're confused about my use of the name Dragon Warrior, it's because the North American rights to the name Dragon Quest were held by a pen-and-paper RPG maker until about 10 years ago; in 2003, Square Enix finally succeeded in registering the Dragon Quest name for the Western market. This is why Dragon Quest I-IV and VII were originally known here as Dragon Warrior. The first game in the series in North America to use the Dragon Quest name was Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2, released in 2005.)
    Last edited by Lady Jaye; 10-07-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

This will be a very short reply as I just moved and am currently setting up my new place

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Don't forget DQIX on DS as well! And even though 4-5-6 are considered to be part of the same trilogy, they're independant one from the other (ie. you don't need to play them in order).
    I think I want to stick with DQ IV,V and VI for now, besides, I need to save cash for a Wii U and games. I'll probably get into IX down the road

All in all, thoughout the Dragon Warrior/Quest series, the game mechanics don't change much. It's still turn-based combat in random encounters. The difference lies instead in the storylines and the way the world is constructed (in DQ V, the game is divided in chapters that tell the story of each member of the party until the later part of the game, where the whole party is reunited; in DQ VI, you deal with two parallel worlds; in Dragon Warrior VII, you travel through four zones accessible by finding shards that make up a portal).
    Sounds good to me.

As for DQX, it's still hard to say if the game will come out here, although if it does, I doubt the Wii version will be available. Even though I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan, I still don't know if I would go for DQX if it comes out here for the Wii U (if it does, it may very well be the game that makes me get a Wii U in the first place). The fact that it's a fee-based MMORPG makes it more unlikely to happen before 2013, if not 2014. Heck, I think we're more likely to see a remake of Dragon Quest VII before a localization of Dragon Quest X.
    That's a pity if DQX doesn't get localized until 2014, if at all.

(In case you're confused about my use of the name Dragon Warrior, it's because the North American rights to the name Dragon Quest were held by a pen-and-paper RPG maker until about 10 years ago; in 2003, Square Enix finally succeeded in registering the Dragon Quest name for the Western market. This is why Dragon Quest I-IV and VII were originally known here as Dragon Warrior. The first game in the series in North America to use the Dragon Quest name was Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2, released in 2005.)
    Nope not confused about the name Dragon Warrior, I've know that for over 20 years, but thanks for explaining it for those that don't know

I really appreciate what you wrote, will try to respond to it more when I have the time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

update: All of the DQ games I ordered have arrived in several suburbs of Chicago. There's no mail today, so I should be getting them tomorrow!

update: they're not out for delievery yet so I might not get them until Wednesday.

update: both DQ IV and DQ VI should be delivered today, DQV probably tomorrow! Cannot wait!

update: I'm a little frustrated because all I recieved today was the DQ VI guide from BradyGames. The games probably came today but I'm guessing the packages wouldn't all fit in my mailbox so maybe the post office will try again tomorrow. Well at least I got the guide. Not going to read it though as I don't want to spoil the game.

update: I checked with the post office this afternoon, they said if my packages could not be delivered they'd notify me (well duh I should have realized that).
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 10-09-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

question:

In the trailer for DQVI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH6f3DNO80
    at 0:29 there seems to be 3rd person battle which looks really cool, is this anywhere in the actual game? Is it an option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
    question:

In the trailer for DQVI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH6f3DNO80
    at 0:29 there seems to be 3rd person battle which looks really cool, is this anywhere in the actual game? Is it an option?
    It's a cutscene with your party watching another character fight.