Thread: Tresismac... Need Savannah, GA info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tresismac... Need Savannah, GA info

I was just told today that I'll be working in Savannah for the next two weeks. I need suggestions on the following:

Things to see...
    Places to eat...
    Bars to go to...

anyone else familiar with Savannah please feel free to give your input

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Historic Downtown Savannah is where it's at for things to see, eat, and drink, although there are good restaurants outside of the downtown area. You can easily combine all three, too, as the downtown area with all of its squares are easy to walk about and the city of Savannah permits drinking alcohol in public downtown, making bar hopping a very popular activity here.

What kind of food do you like to eat? We have really amazing fine dining if your business is picking up the tab or if you don't mind dropping $100 for a meal. The Pink House is iconic and very delicious. If you go there, be sure to check out the tavern below for a drink by the fireplace. We have some kickass pizza places that are also drinking/hangout spots. Vinnie Van Go Go's (cash only, by the way), Screaming Mimi's, and Mellow Mushroom are all favorites. Ethnic foods are covered fairly well from sushi, to Moroccan with belly dancing, to Cuban, to Korean, to Italian, to Indian, to English, Irish, and Scottish pubs. BBQ joints are a source of pride here in the Low Country and my friends own a cool and quirky joint called The Pink Pig just over the bridge. There are millions of seafood restaurants scattered across the city and surrounding area, of which The Crab Shack, located on the water, is worth going to at night if only to have a drink before you go out to Tybee Island Beach because of how cool the decor is with all of the Christmas lights strewn about the place. The Pirate House is a very cool historic restaurant that is worth popping in just for the experience. Its fine dining at night, but it has a relatively affordable buffet during the day that has a good spread of local Southern dishes. The joint use to be a hangout for no-good pirates, thugs, and low lifes, so there is history and ghost stories to be had there (more on the ghosts later).

I'm not a big drinker but there are many cool places to drink here. First let me recommend places that I really like. Abe's on Lincoln is my favorite bar, as the decor is wooden and comfortable, the vibe is chill, and they have a nice patio to chill at outdoors. An iconic place to drink with tons of charm is Pinkie Master's. This is perhaps the coolest dive bar in the South. There is a World of Beer here that opened recently. Moon River is a restaurant and microbrewery that has some tasty local brews. I also dig O'Connell's Irish Pub for being the small Irish bar that it is. As I wrote earlier, Savannah is cool with walking around with open containers, so popping into Johnnie Ganem's to get some cold imported beer might be the way to go. There are also a bunch of night clubs, which aren't really my scene, but plenty of people love the night life here. My drink of choice is coffee, to which I recommend Gallery Espresso as a not too pretentious local coffee bar. The Sentient Bean, on the other hand, is a local favorite of both super hipsters and gutter punks, which doesn't bother me, but it irks my wife and other friends of mine.

There are many places to see in Savannah, which makes us a rather popular tourist town. As I said earlier, just walking around downtown is a cool experience. We have history (we are a colonial city, after all), architecture, natural beauty, museums, and ghost stories galore. History and ghost tours of many different flavors are available either by trolley, hearse, or walking. I recommend walking. Savannah is supposed to be the most haunted place in America, blah, blah, blah, but, in all seriousness, I know easily twenty people with ghost stories, myself included. While I'm writing about the macabre, we have a really awesome cemetery called Bonaventure that is so beautiful that there are more tourists than mourners there on a given day. I highly recommend seeing it. It is HUGE, but the best part to see is the historic area in the back right handside by the river. Just ask where the Johnny Mercer section is.

If you are interested in the Civil War, we have Fort Pulaski and Fort Jackson. There is a Confederate monument here and there to look at as well, most notably the one to the Confederate war dead in Forsyth Park. The park is rather cool and it is in one of the opening scenes of the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which takes place in Savannah. I recommend watching or reading it as a primer, as it is based on a true story and there are many places connected to it that are fun to visit.

As far as nature, we have a beach, Tybee, as I mentioned earlier. There are Oatland Island Wildlife Center and Skidaway Island State Park, which both give you a good idea of how beautiful our marshland is, with Oatland giving you the bonus of animals to look at. The Savannah National Wildlife Refuge is worth seeing if you want to see alligators from the safety of your car.

River Street. Can't see Savannah without seeing River Street, and there are fireworks to be seen tonight, as it is the first Friday of the month! River Street has cobblestones, restaurants, bars, tourist shops, and a ferry boat that goes across the Savannah River.

Of possible interest to you, Flam, we have a shop called Planet Fun that has retro video games and vintage toys. I sent Johnny Nintendo that way a few weeks ago. The owner John does trades, so bring your duplicates with you. There is a flea market called Keller's that you might want to look at on the weekend. It's hit or miss. There are two arcades called Star Castle and Fun Zone, too. We use to have like six arcades that were strictly arcades in the golden days. These have other stuff beyond arcade games like skating, mini-golf, go carts, laser tag, etc. If you haven't been in an arcade in years, you could do worse, I suppose.

Alright, that should give you some idea of what is there is to do in Savannah. Enjoy your stay in my home town!
    Last edited by treismac; 10-05-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only driven through a few times, so I'm not much help. Luckily, treismac, has given you plenty of options. In fact, you could end up doing more vacationing than working, if you're not careful!

I do know the weather is still nice and it is the beginning of fall, so the scenery should be nice in that respect.

With all the things to do and see, I wish I could be there!

Enjoy!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Could also kick back and enjoy the mucky atmosphere. That's not sarcasm, fyi. I lived in Savannah for around six months, basically from fall to spring, 85 degree weather and endless rain. Loved every minute of it.

I imagine it's not like that during the summer.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Johnny Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man Treismac, you could write one of those traveller brochures. I know the scenes in Forrest Gump where he's sitting on a bench waiting for a bus were filmed in one of the parks/squares in Savannah. Also, if you're into the paranormal such as myself, there are many tours/sites. I visited the Sorrel-Weed house, which was featured on Ghosthunters, I believe. By the way, are there anymore members here that are from our area (Southeast GA)?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Great selection of tattoo shops and Paula Dean joints, if you happen to like tattoos and butter. It was also in Savanna that I discovered Ruby Tuesday, which I now have to drive to San Jose to enjoy.