Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamestop is selling a consolized MVS!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamestop is selling a consolized MVS!

I was on the gamestop website and I noticed a NeoGeo X gaming system on the homepage. It is only $199.99 and includes a handheld! It is here and will be avavible on 12/6/12. I would love to get this. Seems like a great deal.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not a consolized MVS (a shame it isn't, really). It's basically emulating games. You can read a lot more about it by using the search function.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by sega dude View Post
    I was on the gamestop website and I noticed a NeoGeo X gaming system on the homepage. It is only $199.99 and includes a handheld! It is here and will be avavible on 12/6/12. I would love to get this. Seems like a great deal.
    It is a handheld that you can play also on a TV set. The console pictured is a docking station and does not play MVS carts.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It's not a consolized MVS. not even close. It's actually more similar to an evolution of a plug-in-play with built in games. The handheld IS the console. The rest is just a docking station meant to look like an AES.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

I still want it.........>_>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do we know the manufacturer on this? I know SNK Playmore gave the blessing but they're not making it themselves.

The reason I'm asking is that currently ATGames has the licensed Sega Genesis Gopher Firecore handheld on the market and it's pretty similar to this NeoGeo device. The Gopher uses the firecore emulation block to run games and then via the expansion slot (aka: sd card port) you can fire up around 80% of the Genesis library accurately and closer to 90% if you don't care about saving in RPGs since the system won't do it. The NeoGeo and Genesis both ran their main cpu off the 68000 main processor.

I'm suspicious but do want this depending on reports after it's in the public. If it's the quality of the Sega device with the firecore tech I probably could see ignoring it as it's too costly for what you get. The Gopher is $40-50 handheld device, rechargable battery, solid backlight LCD, 6 button device with the sd card slot very similarly modeled in theory like the NeoGeo X is. I'm wondering if they're using the same cheap chinese parts and crappy Firecore emulator vs actually scaling down the hardware to run stuff right which would be key in why they chose 20 particular games to feature and allow for more (Gopher does this too with around 20 on board as well.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The price seems to be a bit much. I know Neo-Geo stuff is expensive as hell due to it's rarity, but from purely a player's perspective (as opposed to a collector's) $200 is way too much money to play a bunch of fighting games and schmups from 15+ years ago.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Do we know the manufacturer on this? I know SNK Playmore gave the blessing but they're not making it themselves.

The reason I'm asking is that currently ATGames has the licensed Sega Genesis Gopher Firecore handheld on the market and it's pretty similar to this NeoGeo device. The Gopher uses the firecore emulation block to run games and then via the expansion slot (aka: sd card port) you can fire up around 80% of the Genesis library accurately and closer to 90% if you don't care about saving in RPGs since the system won't do it. The NeoGeo and Genesis both ran their main cpu off the 68000 main processor.

I'm suspicious but do want this depending on reports after it's in the public. If it's the quality of the Sega device with the firecore tech I probably could see ignoring it as it's too costly for what you get. The Gopher is $40-50 handheld device, rechargable battery, solid backlight LCD, 6 button device with the sd card slot very similarly modeled in theory like the NeoGeo X is. I'm wondering if they're using the same cheap chinese parts and crappy Firecore emulator vs actually scaling down the hardware to run stuff right which would be key in why they chose 20 particular games to feature and allow for more (Gopher does this too with around 20 on board as well.)
    It's going to be manufactured in China under direction from Blaze and Tommo. Nobody is 100% sure if this is just a repurposing of an existing Blaze handheld as they have several out there that look similar and have similar capabilities to this unit.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The price is a joke. Although it is historically in line with the laughable price the Neo Geo had when it came out.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a glorified Dingoo. Don't get too excited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The price is way too high for such device... that's more expensive than a 3DS or a PSP... (and a new PS3 160G only costs $50 more than that). Way over priced... nice idea though...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lkermel View Post
    The price is way too high for such device... that's more expensive than a 3DS or a PSP... (and a new PS3 160G only costs $50 more than that). Way over priced... nice idea though...
    For $200, you could also get a used Wii and some Neo-Geo games off the Virtual Console. Then not only are you playing Neo-Geo on your TV, but you also have a Wii.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this is a cool idea, and if Nintendo could release emulated versions of their old consoles thatd be awesome. This costs as much as 1 AES game originally did. So its the best way to have a NEO GEO in your home. Im gonna see how long it takes for newer ports to be released for the card slot. But I think Im gonna get a WII U instead and wait to see when this is on clearance somewhere.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Nintendo are not going to manufacture a retro console, which they may not make a lot of money off of, and would take money out of their core Wii/3DS businesses.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nevermind.

but it would only take away sales for older games on the wii store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    For $200, you could also get a used Wii and some Neo-Geo games off the Virtual Console. Then not only are you playing Neo-Geo on your TV, but you also have a Wii.
    Perhaps so, but do you honestly think the Wii's VC is going to get access to virtually all the NeoGeo games? This thing is like the Firecore I mentioned with an SD card slot meaning you can go online and warez the shit out of all the NeoGeo roms off various sites and fire them up on this thing. For the price they're asking on the handheld unit alone it's not really asking that much if it's accurate enough to run most the library and a hell of a lot cheaper than going Wii+VC or worse, original game carts.

I'm not thrilled with the cost, don't get me wrong, but if this thing can reliably run say 80% of the library or so and the audio, visuals and controls aren't all screwed up (firecore had poor audio for Genesis) then I'd probably grab it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It's a glorified Dingoo. Don't get too excited.
    This. You're looking at a GP2X or a Dingoo or a Wiz that happens to have the blessing of a copyright holder and a joystick controller.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jrokshady's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I didn't already have a Neo Geo AES system then this might be a good buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Yeah, the Success Company, the guys who make/made the SuperUFO stuff

I had a chance to meet with them at a HK distribution fair going on right now.

I played with the console for awhile and it was actually pretty responsive. KOF 95 was one of the games it came with along with Metal Slug, King of the Monsters, and a bunch of lower end titles. I didn't try out the external joystick that plugs into the "dock' which is a fliptop old AES system looking thing... but one neat thing was the controllers were USB!
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.