Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why are people biding on this game.... link inside

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default why are people biding on this game.... link inside

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duck-Tales-2...item2a23975995

from what I can tell Duck Tails 2 must be rare, but come on.
    Last edited by Flam; 10-05-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180985747861

one person bid himself up so then the seller could get more. A friend of mine was gonna buy Murder Set Pieces earlier this week, but one guy kept bidding himself up over $30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

But... it's got an original hole...
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not knowledgeable in the ways of ebay, I've only used it a handful of times

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I havent bought much on there and its been a few years since i last did. but my friend was talking about joining earlier this week so now shes sending me stuff and asks if she should buy this or that. she looked at the auction history after this one item went up $10 in less than a day, and it was one guy bidding himself up. Maybe its the bidder using another account or a friend is helping him jack it up. That DVD she wanted ended up going for over $5o, theres a special limited edition on the directors site for $25 I showed her and she got. So do research before you buy anything on there and never buy something that the seller wont take back.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 10-05-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Johnny Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ha Ha! I'm not even gonna look, but let me guess. It's the one with the huge hole on the left side, correct? I saw this earlier when the current bid was at $50. Such a shame it's got a hole in the front. If it was on the back, you could probably just swap out the back side of the cart for another, but hey the label is in great shape! (Sarcasm)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Nintendo View Post
    Ha Ha! I'm not even gonna look, but let me guess. It's the one with the huge hole on the left side, correct? I saw this earlier when the current bid was at $50. Such a shame it's got a hole in the front. If it was on the back, you could probably just swap out the back side of the cart for another, but hey the label is in great shape! (Sarcasm)
    That's the one. It was kind of funny how the piece was busted out, but left the label intact.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I can see why a collector might want the original board to swap into another game's case then maybe re-print the label, but it is most likely artificial bidding by the seller's friend.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Queen_Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180985747861

one person bid himself up so then the seller could get more. A friend of mine was gonna buy Murder Set Pieces earlier this week, but one guy kept bidding himself up over $30.
    You're misinterpreting what you see. eBay does not allow a single bidder to be "bidding himself up".

eBay allows a user to enter a maximum bid. eBay will then automatically bid on the auction up to that maximum bid, so what you're seeing in that particular link is something like this:

Imagine a scenario where a game is up for auction; its starting price is $10. I decide that I really want this game, so I enter a maximum bid of $100. As I am the only bidder at that point, the current high bid would display as being $10. User #2 sees that $10 high bid and elects to bid $11, but my automatic bidding would immediately raise the high bid to $12, User #3 decides to offer a maximum bid of $50 on the item, but my automatic bidding would raise the high bid to $51. This could continue repeatedly as long as people bid under my $100, but I'm hoping you see the point. The bid history would indicate that I'd bid three times in a row without any other bids, but that would not actually be the case. It was all automatic.

If you want to show that "bidding himself up" is actually impossible with a single account, trying placing two bids in a row on any item. You'll find that it simply doesn't work, and the only thing you can do is raise your maximum bid. You cannot single-handedly raise the price.

It's nearing 2:00 in the morning here, so hopefully this has been intelligible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't mind the cart damage and actually intend to play the thing, this looks like a good way to pick up Duck Tales 2 (relatively) cheaply. Considering, what? It usually goes for $100+?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe F View Post
    You're misinterpreting what you see. eBay does not allow a single bidder to be "bidding himself up".

eBay allows a user to enter a maximum bid. eBay will then automatically bid on the auction up to that maximum bid, so what you're seeing in that particular link is something like this:

Imagine a scenario where a game is up for auction; its starting price is $10. I decide that I really want this game, so I enter a maximum bid of $100. As I am the only bidder at that point, the current high bid would display as being $10. User #2 sees that $10 high bid and elects to bid $11, but my automatic bidding would immediately raise the high bid to $12, User #3 decides to offer a maximum bid of $50 on the item, but my automatic bidding would raise the high bid to $51. This could continue repeatedly as long as people bid under my $100, but I'm hoping you see the point. The bid history would indicate that I'd bid three times in a row without any other bids, but that would not actually be the case. It was all automatic.

If you want to show that "bidding himself up" is actually impossible with a single account, trying placing two bids in a row on any item. You'll find that it simply doesn't work, and the only thing you can do is raise your maximum bid. You cannot single-handedly raise the price.

It's nearing 2:00 in the morning here, so hopefully this has been intelligible.
    ok yeah i understand, wish it wouldnt show the repeated bids when that option is used.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Johnny Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the place where I got my copy of Ducktales 2 had it priced at $115. Luckily, he did trade ins. So I traded him a bunch of WWE Jakks Classic figures still MOC, and a few NES/SNES games for it. Now I just got to go back and trade some more figures for his Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers 2 cart, that is marked for $100.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Once I bought a cracked Dragon Warrior IV to get it for $20 instead of $50. It was a good idea for just wanting to play the game at the time. I didnt actually get around to playing it before selling it though. Dragon Warrior II was too long because you pretty much have to be at max level at the end to even stand a chance, and even then it's hard.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ugh almost up to $62 now and recent copies not busted have done like $80 I see in the history...someones just being stupid.

That said if you had the time, patience and will, thank to that hole you could very slowly peel that label off that amazingly didn't rip and transplant it with the guts into a donor shell but for a savings of currently like $62 I'd just buy a new one with that level of uncertainty. Mind you at $40 or less hell I'd have attempted it probably.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Future Soon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just love that the condition is listed as "acceptable."

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If it was at a heavy discount compared to non-damaged copies, I'd be willing to buy something like that. A working game is still a working game. You can always replace the top of the shell with one from another game if you're worried about the functionality of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This makes me regret passing on a cracked copy of Mega Man 3 a few months ago.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by The Future Soon View Post
    I just love that the condition is listed as "acceptable."
    ebay doesn't list a "for parts" option in this category. Still really. It's not going to matter unless we can get nestards out of their shell and convince them to give a chance to saving money on Famicom versions of some of these games.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

On a side note, just checking US ebay -video games highest price -

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Games-...i.html?_sop=16

They're going mad in USA with this VGA shit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If anything those 'nestards' as you worded it are already polluting the famicom market on specific titles. The Japanese equivalent of Little Samson isn't cheap anymore like it was less than a year ago. I think enough of them are getting wise and buying up the famicom titles to save a bit so they're jumping too as all it takes is a honeybee or a release blackbox game with the converter and you're set.