Thread: What horror themed games do you have in your backlog?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question What horror themed games do you have in your backlog?

In the spirit of October, I'm going to try to put dent in some of the horror games I have in my backlog.

I just finished Silent Hill 2 on the XBOX360 version of Silent Hill HD Collection. I started a game of SH3 on the same collection, but I don't want to invest too much time replaying games that I've beaten (the PS2 version) when I have a massive backlog of other games, especially horror themed one.

My question is, what horror games do you have in your backlog, and how about trying to get some of the out of the way before Halloween? The first snow started falling here a few days ago, and it gets dark really early now in the Midwest, so it's peak for horror games. It's a lofty goal, but I'd like to try to get 3 more horror games finished before the 31st.

Anyone else doing horror games for October?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I intend to play through the Blair Witch trilogy on PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0) Johnny Nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I plan on playing Friday the 13th for NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a copy of Silent Hill (PS1) I've been sitting on for almost 10 years. Maybe I should take a stab at it finally.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I've got a copy of Silent Hill (PS1) I've been sitting on for almost 10 years. Maybe I should take a stab at it finally.
    Yes, you absolutely should! And you should slap yourself, post haste, for allowing a GEM like that to sit unplayed for that long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Castlevania: Bloodlines, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Adventure Rebirth
    Resident Evil 3, Code Veronica
    Silent Hill 4
    Splatterhouse 2

I only beat one Castlevania per year, it's a tradition.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Whenever folk classify Castlevania, Devil May Cry, or Bloodrayne as "horror themed games" I get confused. Supernatural monsters all by themselves do not immediately equal horror. By that logic, the Twilight books are "horror themed" because they feature vampires. Kinda dumb.

Horror in games is about atmosphere and player agency. Games like Siren, Silent Hill, and Fatal Frame are definitely horror games because the player never feels safe: the mechanics allow you survive and progress but dont necessarily endow you with confidence or a feeling of mastery or power. The world in this kind of game is largely designed to accentuate that feeling of helplessness and discomfort. Contrast that with Devil May Cry, where you're an all powerful demon murdering machine that talks like a ninja turtle. You see the difference.

Back on topic, I'm going to try my best to finally play through Call of Cthulhu in PC. I've never been able to force my way through the third level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Whenever folk classify Castlevania, Devil May Cry, or Bloodrayne as "horror themed games" I get confused. Supernatural monsters all by themselves do not immediately equal horror. By that logic, the Twilight books are "horror themed" because they feature vampires. Kinda dumb.
    You're probably equating horror to some measure with how macho you are rather than the actual content. Titles like Devil May Cry and the others you named are dark, atmospheric games with score of demons, monsters, haunted castles, and supernatural creatures trying to kill you around every corner. That's pretty horrific in itself, but they're also laden with extreme and graphic scenes of violence and gore.

Dark games which are more action based than physiological are still horror, they just don't scare or unsettle you as much, and you may be somewhat jaded at this point, truthfully. King Kong (the 1933 one) is considered a horror film, but it seemed more like a kids film to me when I first saw it, because I was so jaded growing up when I did.

Horror in games is about atmosphere and player agency. Games like Siren, Silent Hill, and Fatal Frame are definitely horror games because the player never feels safe: the mechanics allow you survive and progress but dont necessarily endow you with confidence or a feeling of mastery or power. The world in this kind of game is largely designed to accentuate that feeling of helplessness and discomfort. Contrast that with Devil May Cry, where you're an all powerful demon murdering machine that talks like a ninja turtle. You see the difference.
    I see the difference between SURVIVAL horror games, like Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, and EXTREME ACTION horror games like Devil May Cry. But at the end of the day, they're all still horror. One just unsettles you a lot more than the other, and puts you in the role of the 'victim', where as the others puts you in the role of sadistic anti-heros, or a capable warrior of some type.

I haven't read the Twilight books, but I understand them to be fantasy romance. I don't think that's really on par with blood and guts games like Devil May Cry where every supernatural creature and person you encounter (most of which are disturbing in appearance) is actually trying to kill you, rather than court and have consensual sex with you. I've seen the first Twilight film (unfortunately), and it's not even night time for most of the movie, and the fucking vampires glisten in the sunlight. I get that Devil May Cry isn't 'scary' to you, but come on, man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Hmm, I might take this Haloween season to finally play a translated emulated version of Sweet Home for NES (wish they actually released the actual game n the US). It always looked great but I have never been in the mood to play it. I also have Resient Evil 0 for Gamecube collecting dust that I need to beat.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to finish Resident Evil 6. If you have not picked it up yet get it. It is great! I also want to finish Silent Hill 2 & 3 HD versions. Fatal Frame 2. I also have Texas Chainsaw Massacre on the Atari 2600 but never played it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I totally forgot Typing of the Dead.

So I had to pull this one out last night and dust off my Dreamcast keyboard (literally, as it was covered in a thick layer of dust from sitting in my closet for 9 or so years). You know, I used to type for a living, but I'm ashamed to say I couldn't complete the game. I got pretty far, but Goldman had his revenge and I was staring at the GAME OVER screen in disbelief.

I think I lost most of my health to the single letter enemies like bats and slugs, because they dart around so fast I can't read them, and the reaction time expected is pretty fast, for me anyway. Maybe that's why I don't type for a living anymore..

Dogs of the AMS... time they made a move.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

If anyone here is a fan of Silent Hill, I'd recommend "Lone Survivor" for PC. it's a 2d take on horror that takes the best ideas from Silent Hill 1 through 3 and adds a weird indie vibe to the mix. It's cheap and runs on basically anything. I had a lot of fun with it, and I thought it was a little overlooked.