Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: I got a new Retro gaming TV that is a dream come true... Check out Bonk on it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If that monitor (in the OP) could talk: "Finally, I'm displaying something that isn't the inside of somebody's colon! Wait...these lava textures...bad memories bad memories"

Anyway, it's a nice one. You don't particularly need a medical monitor, and the PVM and especially the BVM (Broadcast Video Monitor) lines are as good and even better.

One thing that is nice about some of these units is that the sets can take relatively crummy signals, and "sharpen" them up a bit with better definition than you might see plugging into a consumer TV. I'm not sure exactly what causes this but sets with higher TV lines specifications seem to do this better than others.

Here's a visual example of two pro-grade Sony monitors handling an NES signal - one does notably better than the other:
    http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic...863024#p863024

For PlayStation, I'm interested to have a look at S-Video versus other things. I think that a good TV actually can show all the sharpness of a Sony game well. Speaking of this, it shouldn't be impossible - within the US - to find S-Video and component input-equipped TVs locally. Component input on TVs, that aren't weird 1080i models with "Digital Reality Creation" garbage, are difficult but hopefully not impossible to find. I've got a good one myself now, and MSX2+ looks perfect on it, even with good ol' composite video. I already was fairly happy with the TV it replaced, but what I've got now is even better. I recall that Vagrant Story looked really nice even on the previous set, for example, and I didn't notice any missing detail compared to the partial emulation run I had (and screenshots I took) some years back.

One nice thing about component input is that you can translate RGB to component (NOT by plugging YPbPr cables into RGB plugs, however) with a little converter box. I don't believe there's really any practical benefit to RGB in many situations, except that it tends to be supported by much better sets. If you have to stick with a regular CRT teevee, though, you definitely won't do wrong if you can convert the signal. They're essentially identical quality-wise; the component just has a few (essentially lagless, as far as I know) simple steps to recover the RGB information.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 04-28-2013 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Archimboldi View Post
    yeah, I'm working through all this right now.

Let me know if I have my info correct after some googling hours:
    --It's gonna be very tough to find a smaller 15 - 20 inch CRT TV with s-video
    --I would have to get a modded cable of some sort to do RGB with my u.s. PSone, which I'd need to use one of these nice medical monitors
    --no sound output from the monitors and i'm not sure how a RGB cable would work with audio cables from a PSone (I might be misunderstanding RGB though)

thinking about just waiting till I move, then snagging one of those 1000s of hulking Trinitrons that are all over craigslist for cheap

Here's the thing... If you get a PVM or BVM, the vast majority of them have the same type of hookup. That one dude that is on the neo-geo forums, and the Atari age forums makes a special adapter for Sony PVM's, that will accept Euro Scart cables. You can get Euro Scart cables for various systems on Ebay for pretty damn cheap. That's the best way to go, no muss, no fuss.

The medical Sony monitors do have a single mono speaker. I've actually used that speaker a number of times, when I can't use the main stereo for some reason. Still, you never really want to use the sound from any TV. The speakers inside TV's are usually crappy, about 90 percent of the time. You're much better off running the audio through a stereo receiver and a pair of speakers. You can always get powered PC speakers, and just use those. Just need a radio shack adapter for 5 bucks and you're in business.

Also, pretty much all the Sony PVM's also have S-Video. That includes the 20 inch ones and the 13 inch ones. Just look on the back of the PVM to make sure, but I've only see a few models that didn't have S-Video. They also all do composite video as well, just need a little BNC adapter for the plugs. (again... Radio Shack)
    Last edited by WCP; 04-28-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys, that inches me closer to one of those Sony models...they're even fairly reasonable on ebay. The pics are all very nice. as for "medical monitor" I guess I was using that as a generic descriptor hehe

How does audio out work with the scart? I do have some Swans M-10s that would be killer with PSone.

Ed Oscuro-- the problem with s-video equipped TVs is that there don't seem to be many in the smaller TV range, 15"-20", as far as I can tell.

Learning how to adjust these monitors would be kind of a fun project too, as long as I don't destroy it somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, that's true. I'm not aware of ANY Sony professional monitors (PVM or BVM lines) that are less than 70 pounds while remaining 20 inches or larger. Many 20 inch models are actually 100 pounds. Stuff gets really heavy as you add on the extra inches. Interestingly, the consumer sets, like the KV-27FS120, aren't always as heavy (weight on that model, which is 27", is 109 pounds, but it feels every ounce too - very awkward to carry); part of it might be a less rigid cabinet made of plastic instead of metal, and no "cube" design either.

However, if you can do at least 20" models, PVMs are a good set, if you can find some that are cheaper and lighter. I'm idly considering one myself but I ought to get some other stuff first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Playstation was RGB ready at launch, according to its Japanese box.

Early models shouldn't need scart audio. SCPH-1000 line has RCA jacks.
    Lum fan.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did they make any of these fancy monitors larger than 20"?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I think so, someone on CL in my area had a 27 inch one, or so the ad said. he wanted 150$ for it, and wouldnt take less. It was gone in a week.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

My bvm just came in and i can't get anything to run except my ops using psn component cables and phono to bnc plugs.

My saturn and ps1 games all come up with a red tint and the picture is all over the place like there is no vertical sync, am i doing something wrong?

This is how I have it connected, ps1 > scart cable > female scart to bnc > bnc to analog bnc card, I have 4 cables for video, green, blue, red and yellow, since there is no yellow plug on the back i assume thats sync so i plug it in but i get nothing

Also how can I tell if my controller unit is busted? I bought a 9 pin serial cable but it doesn't seem to be recognized, any help???
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Yes, although those will get way heavier than 100 pounds really quickly.

There's various 32" models out there, and NEC's XM29 / XM29+ have been popular gaming monitors for a long time too. I'd like them but I can't imagine I'd be able to move them around.

A fun thing to do is to look up the various models of BVM / PVM in Google, adding the word "weight" to your query.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got my 20m4u in today. I'm at work so I only had a chance to play with it during lunch and have a few questions. Can I use a universal remote for this monitor? The power button works for turning it on but I cant turn it off. Which component inputs should I be using (with/without the ~). And also there is a black bar running down the middle and the picture is mirrored on both sides,how do I adjust that? Thanks and sorry for all the q's.
    Last edited by bodine1231; 05-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Mitsubishi Megaview had a 37" model.

Another nice one people forget about is the Gateway Destination 27" CRT VGA. Only has 1 VGA input but if paired with a Micomsoft XRGB 2+... and or Dreamcast VGA adapter, it looks simply amazing. Max res is about 800 x 600.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bodine1231 View Post
    I just got my 20m4u in today. I'm at work so I only had a chance to play with it during lunch and have a few questions. Can I use a universal remote for this monitor? The power button works for turning it on but I cant turn it off. Which component inputs should I be using (with/without the ~). And also there is a black bar running down the middle and the picture is mirrored on both sides,how do I adjust that? Thanks and sorry for all the q's.

Pretty sure these don't have wireless remote capabilities. Try and find a PDF manual for it online to confirm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to use Dell "P" series CRT's (that are basically Sony Trinitron monitors, just dell branded. The P991 is a 19" monitor and has excellent picture quality. Used them for desktop PC and with an older Viewsonic adapter to run it as a TV.
    Also had the Dell P1110 which was a 21" monitor. They can be had relatively cheap. Because of weight shipping can be an issue. I believe that they made them in larger sizes as well, but my experience was msotly with those.
    However, and totally overkill for older games, the best monitor I ever owned was a Sony GDM-FW900. 24" widescreen CRT. Enough landscape to view a Tabloid/11x17 sheet paper size. F'n amazing! These had many inputs including bnc connections.
    Monoprice has some inexpensive av adapters meow.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not a PVM/BVM or NEC but...

Picked up a second Gateway DL27-1 last Saturday afternoon. Basically a 27" CRT VGA monitor. I forgot how amazing stuff looks on this. Especially retro via an XRGB2+ or Dreamcast VGA adapter.

Dirty 68k emu, but still looks great. ChoRenSha 68k looks especially amazing.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Its hard to find a good retro gaming set around me. But seeing this thread urged me to look a bit more. Today I bought a Sony Trinitron KZ-1981R. Not a bad picture and clear stereo sound. 5 Bucks. Its good for a budget retro tv. Still gonna search for a good PVM. And I am on the lookout for a bigger tube tv for retro light guns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MeTmKnice View Post
    I used to use Dell "P" series CRT's (that are basically Sony Trinitron monitors, just dell branded. The P991 is a 19" monitor and has excellent picture quality. Used them for desktop PC and with an older Viewsonic adapter to run it as a TV.
    I once bought the Sony version of this from the local thrift, and it had problems. Unfortunately I compounded the problem by buying a cable to interface the monitor with Sony's servicing software (serial port only, also, so it won't play well with new computers)...never did get that to work. Was a nice looking thing too, what a shame.

I guess I've had a bit of a change of heart on these monitors - The 20L5 is nice for having progressive scan support (maybe requires a special input board, though) but the endoscopy monitors are fine and have great quality. Some monitors are better on account of having a comb filter, like the NES composite comparison pictures I posted earlier from Necronopticus at Shmups Forum, and it's not clear that the TV Lines does much at all for picture quality here. With luck I'll find a nicely-sized, not too heavy, and affordable 19 or 20 incher nearby someday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I finally got around to hooking up the Atari Jaguar to the PVM-20M2MDU monitor.

Trevor McFurr in the Crescent Galaxy

Trevor McFurr in the Crescent Galaxy

Cybermorph

AVP

AVP

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Archimboldi View Post
    Thanks guys, that inches me closer to one of those Sony models...they're even fairly reasonable on ebay. The pics are all very nice. as for "medical monitor" I guess I was using that as a generic descriptor hehe

How does audio out work with the scart? I do have some Swans M-10s that would be killer with PSone.

Ed Oscuro-- the problem with s-video equipped TVs is that there don't seem to be many in the smaller TV range, 15"-20", as far as I can tell.

Learning how to adjust these monitors would be kind of a fun project too, as long as I don't destroy it somehow.
    I know im late but i actually use mine with the swan m10 's and for the most part it sounds beautiful, i run the audio outs from the scart breakout cable thru an old component switchbox then feed it into a pioneer receiver and from there to the swans

The official sony scart cables also have rca outs via plug in composite cables that you can run direct to an amp/dac

Word to the wise, use ebay only as a last resort or if you find an incredible deal, my first bvm came in completely beat to shit, the entire bezel was shattered to pieces, screen was scratched and the housing was dented in, had to get a replacement
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked up a 27 inch Sony Trinitron CRT on CL for $10 dollars. It's from 1999, i had been using a Flat Screen 27 Inch CRT Samsung and while very good. I'm amazed at how good games look on a "tube" crt better then the flat screen. Games just have this vintage look on them. I'm impressed I heard people talk about the 90's sony's and they really are amazing. It's this tv but MUCH cleaner.