Thread: XCOM: Enemy Unknown are you buying it

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question XCOM: Enemy Unknown are you buying it

I've play the demo, not to bad of game but the cost is holding me back.
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOTYPE View Post
    I've play the demo, not to bad of game but the cost is holding me back.

i bought it on a whim from newegg, still hasnt gotten here, but now im having second thoughts, i didnt realize just how much they have changed from the original, (only 6 person squads???) but im still optimistic, i'll come back once i've spent a little time with it
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading about allot of disc problems and bugs...will wait till cost goes way down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

i've been playing this off and on since yesterday and even tho im still in the early game, i have to say, this is already going down as one of my favorite games of this generation

firaxis really went above and beyond on this one, its basically a whole new game but has enough of the original feel of the old xcom to satiate veterans, the class based system for soldiers opens up an entire spectrum of new strategy you can add to the game, i still kinda think charging 60 was a little high, but i cant pretend like im not getting 60 dollars worth of fun out of this so i got no real complaints

if you're a fan of turn based strategy games or just good games period, you should definitly pick this up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool i still kinda think charging 60 was a little high

Come back here when you beat the game as I read people were a little disappointed in how long the game was [ about 15 hrs ] One guy said he was happy with the game but it was way to short for this type of game. So, will probably wait till it's 30.00 as did with... I just got Birds of steel for 20.00 ship and Warriors Orochi 3 for 30.00 ship new.Sometime its pays to wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Come back here when you beat the game as I read people were a little disappointed in how long the game was [ about 15 hrs ] One guy said he was happy with the game but it was way to short for this type of game. So, will probably wait till it's 30.00 as did with... I just got Birds of steel for 20.00 ship and Warriors Orochi 3 for 30.00 ship new.Sometime its pays to wait.

from reviews, i've read its closer to 30 hours but i kind of think its 30 if you yourself make it 30, like i purposefully avoid the goals needed to advance story so i can hang back and build up my squad, but missions are much smaller and more focused than the original xcom missions, i remember some missions taking me close to an hour and a half on the original xcom, i've been on missions where i spent barely above 5 minutes before it was over

but thats because the pace is quicker, everything is more streamlined, even if the game is 15 hours long i guarentee you'll jump back and restart the game to do things different, you can start on a different continent which gives you different bonuses, and unlike the first game, when you get multiple ufo attacks and landings (which happens all of the time) you cant go after all of them one by one, you're usually given a choice out of 3 and if you choose to save one country you're pretty much screwing over the other 2 and the mission you get is a completely different one, so theres that for replayablity, this is a great game i stand by that, but i do feel like 60 is still a little too much, 40 dollars is perfect i think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

i just thought of what this game most reminds me of, its been nagging at me but i just realized that while its xcom roots are evident, what it most plays and feels like is front mission 3 with gears of war or mass effect cover mechanics, i may be oversimplifying but the combat is surprisingly deep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, maybe that guy just hurry through it like you said. but does that overlook option feel kind of cheap? just put your guys in that and have one move to bring the aliens out and

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Yea, maybe that guy just hurry through it like you said. but does that overlook option feel kind of cheap? just put your guys in that and have one move to bring the aliens out and

its not cheap at all its essential lol

i dont know if you played the original xcom at all or not, but its essentially the same mechanic just in a different presentation, its basically you time units made easier to manage, you can move once within a set distance and then you can either put them into overwatch (preferably while youre in cover) which basically is just set to react on any enemy movement on their turn or you can choose to say fuck it, and run balls out to cover a longer distance so you can recon it and give up your right to go into overwatch and react to an enemy if he comes into your units sightlines

its not overpowered because the aliens can and do use it to, also you're not guarenteed to hit the enemy if they DO come into your overwatch lines as its all percentage based and class based

you can try to abuse it but it will rarely work out the way you think it does not even counting what i mentioned above, because for it to work out like that basically the entire game you would never move forward you'd just sit at your spawn and wait them out, that would take forever and i dont even know if they search for you that early on, you have to play this game, trust me, i've gone like 9 hours straight playing this yesterday and didnt even realize it, its really that addictive lol

edit: i just thought of something that might be considered cheap or gamebreaking like you kind of implied with your perception of overwatch, if you level up your sniper along the right lines, its possible to have him gain an infinite string of kills from all the way completely across the map, you can choose to have him be able to target enemies in your teammates field of view so if you send a support unit with ghost armor out for recon or a shiv battle tank and you spot someone like 5 blocks up, as long your sniper have a clear field of a view you can kill him, and if you get the final perk to be able to continuesly fire at enemies without wasting a turn as long as the enemy isnt in cover and you kill him with your shot, i've managed to kill 6 enemies in a row on the same turn from across the map like that lol, yea that one i think can be cheap sometimes
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 10-18-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ha! that's awesome but kind cheap.this reminds me of a old computer game that I have, its called INCUBATION the wilderness missions. Check out the you-tube videos for it. Really a fun game. http://www.gamespot.com/incubation-t...eview-2535449/
    Last edited by PROTOTYPE; 10-18-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

seriously with all the original xcom fans on these boards, im the only one who's played this game??? i really want to hear other peoples opinions on this excellent (imo) remake

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    seriously with all the original xcom fans on these boards, im the only one who's played this game??? i really want to hear other peoples opinions on this excellent (imo) remake
    Beat it last week, going to write a FAQ. It's astonishingly good.

There are some weird inconsistencies in the base building layer, though: engineers are worth more than anything else in the first third of the game, if only because you NEED as many satellites in the air as early as you can afford them. Scientists never quite hit that level of value. Therefore, every abduction mission you go on in the first third of the game should be either A) for a reward of engineers, or B) money. Never mind scientists or soldiers. By the time you can afford the leveled up satellite hub and power plant, you're already loaded up with engineers and scientists, all the way up the tech tree, so they seem to be a little superfluous. All in all, there seems to be a correct way to play the base building part, which kinda sucks.

The tactical turn based stuff is pure gold, though. I finished on "Normal" with "Iron Man" turned on; I started my "Classic" difficulty game last night. They can't get expansion packs out quickly enough for me on this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Beat it last week, going to write a FAQ. It's astonishingly good.

There are some weird inconsistencies in the base building layer, though: engineers are worth more than anything else in the first third of the game, if only because you NEED as many satellites in the air as early as you can afford them. Scientists never quite hit that level of value. Therefore, every abduction mission you go on in the first third of the game should be either A) for a reward of engineers, or B) money. Never mind scientists or soldiers. By the time you can afford the leveled up satellite hub and power plant, you're already loaded up with engineers and scientists, all the way up the tech tree, so they seem to be a little superfluous. All in all, there seems to be a correct way to play the base building part, which kinda sucks.

The tactical turn based stuff is pure gold, though. I finished on "Normal" with "Iron Man" turned on; I started my "Classic" difficulty game last night. They can't get expansion packs out quickly enough for me on this one.

i agree with your comment about scientists early on but most of everything else really applies to playing on normal, have you played a classic or impossible ironman run?

at that point its straight survival, your soldier turn around rate is so goddamn high that almost every time a nation offers me a an already promoted soldier i take it without hesitation, scientist in both games can be put on the back burner if you invest in south america or build a base there early on, instant interogations and autopsies are a godsend in the early game

also, be sure to link me to your faq when youre done, i need all the help i can get, i lost 2 classic games already lol shit is brutal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    i agree with your comment about scientists early on but most of everything else really applies to playing on normal, have you played a classic or impossible ironman run?
    Yeah, I haven't played without ironman mode. I think it's important to the way the game is designed. I've beaten the game on normal, and I just finished the raid on the alien base on classic ironman last night. So far, I've lost three guys, and all of my soldiers are Major or better.

The game is hard, but if you obey it's rules and go slowly, it's much easier. Most of the trouble people are having mid to late game seems to be rushing headlong into damnation because they think they can win... Even though experience has taught them otherwise. Overwatch is key, NEVER EVER dash, and upgrade weapons and armor as soon as you can afford it. Also, never ever turn down terror missions.

at that point its straight survival, your soldier turn around rate is so goddamn high that almost every time a nation offers me a an already promoted soldier i take it without hesitation, scientist in both games can be put on the back burner if you invest in south america or build a base there early on, instant interogations and autopsies are a godsend in the early game
    Are you rushing into story missions? I try and ensure that I've upgrading everything possible before advancing the plot, such as it is. As long as you take the council missions, the terror missions, and have a satellite in orbit over every member country, you should be fine as far as XCOM members panic levels; use the time to grind for upgrades and experience. If you get a soldier to Colonel level, retire him for a while, and grind up a few newbies. If you have more than 6 vets in your barracks, you end up getting hosed less in the late game when people get wounded and there's three missions right in a row. Also? A fully upgraded hover S.H.I.V. is an excellent replacement for a mid-level assault or heavy... And ethereals can't mind control them, even though they'll waste turns trying.

Goddamn I love this game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Yeah, I haven't played without ironman mode. I think it's important to the way the game is designed. I've beaten the game on normal, and I just finished the raid on the alien base on classic ironman last night. So far, I've lost three guys, and all of my soldiers are Major or better.

The game is hard, but if you obey it's rules and go slowly, it's much easier. Most of the trouble people are having mid to late game seems to be rushing headlong into damnation because they think they can win... Even though experience has taught them otherwise. Overwatch is key, NEVER EVER dash, and upgrade weapons and armor as soon as you can afford it. Also, never ever turn down terror missions.

Are you rushing into story missions? I try and ensure that I've upgrading everything possible before advancing the plot, such as it is. As long as you take the council missions, the terror missions, and have a satellite in orbit over every member country, you should be fine as far as XCOM members panic levels; use the time to grind for upgrades and experience. If you get a soldier to Colonel level, retire him for a while, and grind up a few newbies. If you have more than 6 vets in your barracks, you end up getting hosed less in the late game when people get wounded and there's three missions right in a row. Also? A fully upgraded hover S.H.I.V. is an excellent replacement for a mid-level assault or heavy... And ethereals can't mind control them, even though they'll waste turns trying.

Goddamn I love this game!

na i wasnt rushing, i was actually doing awesome, i was stalling on the alien base raid so i could build up my team, admittedly i did already lose like 3 countries because i didnt have the money to expand my satellite operations fast enough and i was living hand to mouth as far as having the funds to properly outfit these guys, build new add ons to the base and get satellite coverage, but still i was hanging in there, and then it happened....on a routine mission with no heavies involved, lol it all went terribly wrong

i was finishing up clean up, thinking i only needed to take out 2 or 3 thin men and got cocky, spread everyone out to thin, my highest ranked soldier got killed, sniper panicked and killed my shiv, and the shots from the other team members all missed on overwatch, on their turn they took out the medic and poisoned the other soldiers, i finished just barely with time but all my main guys were hospitalized and i didnt have to many ranking soldiers on standby, and OF COURSE thats when the game decided to give me a terror mission, so had no choice but to take all rookies and one major i think, lol soon as mission started it was a bloodbath from the outset, chrsallids went after my sniper (didnt know they could climb buildings tho, that one was my fault) the rest was a blur lol, i ended up having to cut and run and saved maybe 2 guys, and since i abandoned the mission pretty much the entirety of africa up and left the council

i did maybe 2 missions with like 2 or 3 rookies, didnt have any money for replacements so i always took the missions that offered new soldiers even tho the other countries giving missions and offering scientists were on the verge of leaving, lol long story short lost like 8 or 9 countries and that was that, this all happened within the same month i think, it was just a giant clusterfuck

i guess beating the game on normal made me cocky, seriously classic ironman is an entirely different beast lol and i totally agree with you on the dlc, im buying that day one, i decided to wait until it drops before i tackle a new classic run, did you hear about it? its supposed to be 3 new heavy story centric council missions revolving around a former triad and some stolen tech i think, the dlc also gives you early access to the blaster launcher, alot of ppl are complaining about the direction of the dlc but i for one am hyped, i cant wait

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm one of those original players and I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

I'm curious abut reports of the game causing problems, I'm playing on a PS3w/ no internet hookup and haven't had any problems at all aside from idiot AI trying to shoot through walls. My Nephew stationed overseas said his Xbox 360 was overheating and locking up the game, he's got xbox live turned on while he plays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott45 View Post
    I'm one of those original players and I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

I'm curious abut reports of the game causing problems, I'm playing on a PS3w/ no internet hookup and haven't had any problems at all aside from idiot AI trying to shoot through walls. My Nephew stationed overseas said his Xbox 360 was overheating and locking up the game, he's got xbox live turned on while he plays.

na, the game starts out fine, perfectly fine even (there was a day 1 download tho) and i thought all the rumors were unfounded, but the further you go on, the closer you get to the endgame the bigger the mountain of bugs grows, there are a shit load of bugs in this game towards the end, like game breaking bugs, thats half the reason im afraid to start another ironman run because there was a glitch where there was some phantom final alien and i couldnt finish the mission, bugs where your system will freeze after every other encounter, your shiv being useless or not being able to select it, alot of wierd shit, but it mostly shows up around the middle going into the end, good luck with your run

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I'm on PC, so I'm no use, here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool the endgame the bigger the mountain of bugs grows,

Yea, good reason to let price go down then and wait for patches.