Thread: Anybody Else Playing Sound Shapes?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Default Anybody Else Playing Sound Shapes?

I found myself picking this up last week. (I bought it for Vita, and although I've fired it up on PS3 I've played almost exclusively on Vita so far)

Campaign Mode is short, as the reviews have all stated, because they spread out the checkpoints quite liberally. I still enjoyed it because of the music. Man do I love the music in this game.

After finishing Campaign I've tried both Beat School and Death Mode, and I'm definitely now fully addicted to this game.

Death Mode has the same feel to me that the Activision Anthology stuff does: here's a level, now beat this score in this time frame to earn an unlockable (a patch/commercial in AA, a trophy here). I find myself giving it that one more try because I *know* I can beat it. I don't know if Death Mode is going to take much longer than the Campaign mode though. I've yet to exactly breeze through a level, but I'm not spending hours trying to beat each one either.

Beat School is what I was really curious about, because the review I read mentioned that because the reviewer was a musician he found it easy, and he wondered how others would find it. Well I'm no musician, but I consider myself to be musically inclined anyway, so I took this as if he had directly challenged me to try this.

And man do I *love* it.

It probably takes me a little longer to beat a level in Beat School over Death Mode, but it's infinitely more satisfying. You don't have to guess how many notes to place (they give you the total needed to match the sound), and it will tell you how many you've got right or wrong each time you re-listen to the target track, but for me that makes it perfect in terms of challenge.

And finally, I find myself for the first time ever actually interested in the create a level mode. So far all I've done is create the music, but that's the appeal I think. Creating a platforming level on it's own would be dull. Creating some custom music, and then building a level around it so that you have to collect the notes to hear the music? For some reason I find that super fun.

Anyway, just wanted to give a shout out to Sound Shapes. If I ever finish a level I'll post it's name here. If anyone here has built something and wants to share it here please do.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah this game looks good, I plan on getting it.