Thread: Need advice, How to hook up 15 game consoles with composite video to 1 tv with 1 spliter

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    freakishnish
    PSN
    freakishnish

Exclamation Need advice, How to hook up 15 game consoles with composite video to 1 tv with 1 spliter

I have about 15 consoles I would like to hook up to my tv, is there any spiter anyone know of that would work for this? Thanks
    Alex
    NES, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Wii,Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Seag CDX, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Sega 32x, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Atari 7800, Colecovision, Gameboy, Gameboy Advanced SP, DS, PSP

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only system selectors that come anywhere close to that amount are the Pelican System Pro (8 inputs) Pelican System Selector Pro 2 (8 Inputs) and the JVC JX-S700 (9 inputs). The ideal combo would be two system selector pros the first one being daisy chained to the second one via the 8th input and that would give you 15 inputs to use for systems.

What sucks is these selectors are getting very rare and go for ridiculous amounts of money now days.

You could always daisy chain 4, 5 input selectors as well for a total of 17 inputs, the powered ones are the best for composite video.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You will need multiple and different types of switchboxes. Organize by each console's best video ouput. Then run switch boxes to the matched TV input. For instance, Component capable consoles go together thru a component switchbox to the HDTV component input. A separate set of switchboxes for HDMI, RF, SVideo and Composite.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What they said. That is the easy part. The hard part is finding the room and capability of multiple power strips to handle all of the power supplies. Good luck with that . Belkin makes a really nice flat power strip (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001GQ2W6W) that lets the power supplies face outward instead of inward. If they face inward that usually results in a power supply covering up an additional outlet. They are also spread out so plenty of room to handle a gigantic power source such as the dreaded 2 ton Colecovision power supply.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'll want to avoid daisy chaining too many devices between your systems and your TV. Every additional device adds resistance to the video signal, making it a bit dimmer and blurrier.

Is there a reason why it -must- be composite video? If your TV has an S-video input then you can utilize that along with a splitter to spread the load between the two inputs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Minimize daisy chains to avoid clutter.

Think of composite as entry level. While building your setup, plan ahead toward the highest quality video output each system offers.
    Converters or mods for s-video/component/etc can have remarkable if not drastic clarity improvements. Depending on the system and TV.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the route I would go.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forum...?topic=10529.0

Probably the simplest way to go (from an amount of hardware needed standpoint).

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Do you absolutely need every single system hooked up at the same exact time?

Because it would be a heck of a lot easier if you didn't because then you could share cables between systems. Like if you used a multisystem Gamecube/PS2/Xbox cable then you could use SNES, N64, Gamecube, PSX, PS2, PS3, and Xbox (original) all on one cable connected to the TV, just you could only plug it into one system at a time and would have to move it depending on what you're playing (BTW don't hook it up to say GC and PS2 at the same time even though they don't use the same plug, it will cause issues).

Then there's Wii/PS3/360 cables, which would get you Wii and 360, but also give you a second way to play any of the Sony systems.

I know some people hate multisystem a/v cables since they're 3rd party and I'm sure some of them really are utter garbage, but I've never had issues with the ones I've had.

NES (toaster), the first revision of PSX, Turbografx w/Turbobooster or TurboCD all use just regular A/V cables, so they could all share an input if you have any of those. You could also use this one for a VCR, DVD player, cable box, really anything non game if you needed to.

It's hard to know exactly what all you'd need without knowing exactly what your 15 consoles are, but right there you'd only be using 3 inputs on a switch box yet have access to 11 systems (not even counting duplicates for the Sony systems).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have wondered if it would be possible to somehow connect the circuits on multiples of the 4-switch selector units, essentially creating one long system selector switch. Maybe someone with more electronic knowledge could comment?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    freakishnish
    PSN
    freakishnish

Thanks for all the help guys!!! Heres what I have now

PS3-HDMI
    XBOX 360-HDMI
    Wii-Component
    PS2-Component
    Collecovision-RF
    Atari 7800-RF

SWITCHBOX #1 (5 in 2 out)[auto sensing]

INPUT 1- Sega CDx
    INPUT 2- Sega Dreamcast
    INPUT 3- Gamecube
    INPUT 4- NES
    INPUT 5- Switchbox #2

SWITCHBOX #2(4 in 1 out)[Manual

INPUT 1- Super Nintendo
    INPUT 2- Nintnendo 64
    INPUT 3- Sega Master System
    INPUT 4- Sega Saturn

The only one that I can't hook up is the xbox but I have all the cables plugged in for it and all I need to do is switch out the RCA cables with another system
    NES, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Wii,Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Seag CDX, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Sega 32x, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Atari 7800, Colecovision, Gameboy, Gameboy Advanced SP, DS, PSP

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for one of the best thread titles ive ever read.