Thread: Shaq reviews for Game Players magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Shaq reviews for Game Players magazine

I was going through my magazine collection and found this. It's from the November 1994 issue of Game Players magazine. In the issue Shaq reviewed a couple of games including SSF2. The NBA 95 one kind of got cut off(That one was two pages). For now I wanted to show the SSF2 review because by the last paragraph it turned into an ad for Shaq Fu.(For the record Game Players gave Shaq Fu 77%)

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the same issue. I wanted Shaq Fu so bad that Christmas but got Ecco: Tides of Time and Buster's Hidden Treasure instead. My parents had better taste than I did, obviously

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seeing this made my day more than the 1 tv 1 splitter guys thread title.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game's flava? I highly doubt Shaq wrote them reviews himself. That magazine was a joke, obviously influenced by the game companies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Seeing this made my day more than the 1 tv 1 splitter guys thread title.
    Wait till you see one of the reviews for Shaq Fu from this magzine. I' am going to post that soon.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cant wait

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's not to much to the reviews, so it is hard to know for sure, but I'm guessing, Shaq, didn't actually do the reviews. Someone probably just asked him some question about NBA 95 and Super Street Fighter II. Then they took something(s) he said and put it in the article...somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone's interested I' am thinking about posting other non Shaq related stuff from magazines(Kind of turn it into a showcase topic). For now here's Game Players actual review of Shaq Fu. I particularly like the second opinion box. I' ve never seen a more transparent case of "This is shit, but I got to play along or I'll lose my job" scenario. It also reminds me of that Critic episode where Duke wanted Jay to give some terrible movie a good rating, in which Jay ultimately settled on a 2 in a half out of 4 stars rating.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehehe, those first couple of paragraphs had some good lines in them. Im gonna download this now and give a quick review.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, Ive played Samurai Shodown, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury and Street Fighter games, all of which I want to master. Then I played this game today, and my god, you think you know how bad it is from reviews you hear or read liek this one, but trust me you dont know how bad it really is till you play it your self.

First off, the title screen has 3 options for playing, Duel, Story and Tournament. I thought Id just do tournament, since the story is so bad. Well, in THIS game tournament mode is designed for you and your buddies when youre drunk and you play against each other using any of the characters you want. I played it, and since I didnt have anyone else to, I beat everyone without any damage to my self. The thing I hated most is that when you do a move you move backwards, like in another bad game Daikatana when you use a gun and you have to be moving forward so you wont fall off a ledge, well in this game you have to wait for the move to be completely over to move forward, then when yorue done moving you can hit again. if you hit y and x you can sometimes do two punches in a row. So after I beat that, which took like 5 minutes, I switched over to Story mode, and this is where it got horrifically bad.

Im not going to do an AVGN styled rant, but it does deserve that. You really notice how bad the controls are when youre playing against the game itself. I dont know who could beat this, and I dont want to meet the person who actually set a goal of beating it when they could have played so many awesome fighting games that were out there instead. Theres a copy of this game at the retro store i like, and after playing this i want go there and destroy it. People should not accidentally buy this not knowing the venom it contains. If you have a 20 year old SNES, dont let one of the last years of its life be wasted by putting this thing into it even for a minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Haha I remembered my cousin showing me that review for Shaq Fu at a newsstand many years ago and actually rented that game from Blockbuster to give it a shot Fun times ensure

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, look at those pictures of Shaquille O'Neal, he certainly was a lot less 'beefy' back then.

Sort of like John Travolta. Look at pictures of him in Urban Cowboy compared to these days. What happened?