Thread: Don't bite my head off, but how to you transfer Wii game saves from one Wii to another Wii?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question Don't bite my head off, but how to you transfer Wii game saves from one Wii to another Wii?

The Wii accepts SD cards, and so I just assumed they could be used to transfer game saves from one system to another, but I haven't played a game yet that allows this. So then, how DO you transfer saves from one Wii to another, and what the heck DO you use the SD card for with a Wii if not game saves?

It's annoying that I can take my Mario Kart: Double Dash save to the downstairs living room Wii with no problem (with my Gamecube memory card), but I'm at a loss on how to transfer my Mario Kart Wii save (with everything unlocked) from the living room Wii to the one in my gameroom upstairs.

CAN you transfer save files from one Wii to another Wii? I know I'm probably the only person here who doesn't know the answer to this, but I only recently set up my second Wii that I got a while back and I never had to worry about transferring anything before. I also have a Wii points card that I've never used and I was wondering if downloadable content locked to a single Wii console

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know at least some Wii saves are locked and can't be transfered by the user while using official means (I assume going the homebrew route would rectify matters). But I thought that was just a subsection of game saves and that most could be moved just by copying them to a SD card and then copying them back to the internal flash memory in your new system.

And Mario Kart Double Dash was essentially the same deal. It's locked to your memory card just like how a game like Mario Kart Wii is locked to your Wii's internal flash memory. The only difference in the case of the GCN is that the save medium is itself movable while the Wii's is built into the system (You can't actually save to a SD card on the Wii, although saves can reside on one... but to load or save they have to be on the internal memory itself). And DLC is of course locked to your Wii.

If you want to move things yourself in an official manner, you'll just have to hope that the upcoming transfer utility supports moving Wii content to another Wii and not just to a Wii U. I believe the DS utility supports moving DSi content to another DSi or DSiXL and not just to a 3DS or 3DSXL. So hopefully the Wii counterpart will be the same.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-15-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

If the game features any sort of Wi-Fi Connection features (leaderboards, online play, etc), then the save is tied to the Wii it is currently on and cannot be copied to an SD card. I can only imagine that it was done this way to prevent any kind of online cheating... somehow...

AFAIK, the only solution is going the Homebrew Channel route... never fooled with it myself, but it's rather easy to find info about it via the interwebs.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    AFAIK, the only solution is going the Homebrew Channel route... never fooled with it myself, but it's rather easy to find info about it via the interwebs.
    This is correct, ill be damned if I am going to lose 100+hours of smash brothers unlocks/stats, I did it a while back and I dont remember it being too hard.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    This is correct, ill be damned if I am going to lose 100+hours of smash brothers unlocks/stats, I did it a while back and I dont remember it being too hard.
    What's this about a homebrew channel? Can anyone walk me through this like I'm 5? I fucking NEVER use the Wii anymore, and barely remember how to turn the thing on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure how kosher it is to talk about this stuff on DP, but Google "Wii letterbomb" to get more information about installing the homebrew channel.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

After you get Homebrew Channel up and running, you'll want to google SaveGame Manager GX which is a program that lets you do the actual savegame copying you want to do. HBC is just a way to get programs like that to run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Can't you just put the save on the SD card from a menu on the wii and then put that SD card in another wii and transfer it off the SD card?

I did a lot of save transfarring from the Dolphin emulator to my actual Wii when I was playing Xenoblade and it worked no problem, and that was moving saves from an emulator to the Wii and vise versa. I'd imagine going from one wii to another would be simpler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    Can't you just put the save on the SD card from a menu on the wii and then put that SD card in another wii and transfer it off the SD card?

I did a lot of save transfarring from the Dolphin emulator to my actual Wii when I was playing Xenoblade and it worked no problem, and that was moving saves from an emulator to the Wii and vise versa. I'd imagine going from one wii to another would be simpler.
    Some games simply don't support this. The Dreamcast was the same way with VMU saves. If a game locked its save to the VMU, like Soul Calibur for example, then it couldn't be copied via the system menu. Only a special program could copy it.