Thread: Games that you grew to appreciate.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games that you grew to appreciate.

What are some games that you did not like on your first few attempts, perhaps as a kid, and then later learned to appreciate? For me, it was old 8 bit NES RPGs like Dragon Warrior. I didn't have the patience at the time, and I got pissed when a damn slimb killed me.

Of course, as you can imagine after reading the title, I grew to appreciate the game.

What about you?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fighting Games in general, I didnt think of it like I do now. Now I can appreciate the technique they require. I never really got into them since the arcades were dead when I was old enough to really go to one, and I played some really bad ones my friends had. That Star Wars one on the N64 I particularly remember, yuck. NOw I discovered the Neo Geo franchises and gotten more into Street Fighter, I still dont like Mortal Kombat though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't like 1st-person dungeon crawlers years ago, but now I enjoy games like Phantasy Star and Megami Tensei.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

This sounds weird but the Little Mermaid on the NES, never gave it the time or day back cause it was a girls game..yuck..now in my thirtys, my wife got me to play it, and its not that bad..pretty good for its time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Growing up I always hated scrolling shootemups, now I'm crazy for them! They fit my busier lifestyle and I don't have the time to concentrate on an RPG like I used to.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I used to hate Kid Icarus for NES because at the beginning you barely have any life and all you do is climb straight up. If you never saw a gameplay video or pictures of the game, you would think the whole game is like this. One big climb to the top with jack squat for moves and little way to defend yourself from the faster enemies like those little grim reapers that come flying when the big one freaks out at the sight of you.

With the help of savestates I finally discovered that once you get out of that first set of levels the game starts getting levels that scoll sideways and you finally start getting powerups and increases in the life meter. As well as occasional healing springs to step into to replenish your life meter. It is still a challenge but it is not so bad after all.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

In kind of like sparf in that I learned to appreciate a whole format, not just individual games (though there have been plenty of those).

Specifically, I used to dislike the neo geo. from what I could see of the system at arcades (which isn't much) the games didn't seem that much better than a snes game, and that what I perceived to be zero depth. Plus that plethora of fighting games that snk spewed out towards the end all seemed identical to my untrained eye. But a few years ago I snagged that snk collection for ps2. I started to really appreciate the subtleties that make the neo stand out from its contemporaries: huge sprites, detailed animations, liberal use of audio samples with minimal compression...plus I saw the grandeur that is neo turf masters. I ended up getting a consolized mvs and I now have a pretty huge neo collection. It's something special and unique, and I really appreciate it now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gran Turismo.... I remember having a demo for it and hated cause I couldn't control the cars now it's my favorite racing game!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by psychopat View Post
    Gran Turismo.... I remember having a demo for it and hated cause I couldn't control the cars now it's my favorite racing game!
    I hated that game when it first came out too but eventually came around, mainly because when I started driving real cars I realized how realistic it is, and could apply things I did on real roads to the game.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally beat Zelda 2 this past month, I cheated haha. I never got far in it as a kid, but i loved the graphics and music a ton so id play it and mess around. I like it more than the first one now that I beat both, but its really really hard.