Thread: professional lie

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default professional lie

When did "professionally cleaned" become the lie that Amazon and eBay dealers use to sell games? I got my professionally cleaned gameboy today and its dirty as shit. Most time the thing usually are.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's marketing man. Ebay sellers aren't the only ones that do it, and it's not like all of them do. Many people on NA/Sega-16/GTZ etc sell on ebay in addition to their forumgoing.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Who the heck is a "professional game cleaner"? Where would you go for that and why would anyone waste money on such a thing? When I sell games, I like to say that the games have been cleaned and done so by a collector who knows how to care for games (and rest assured, I do clean them very thoroughly), but I sure as hell wouldn't claim that they were "professionally" cleaned.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exactly. Almost all amazon listings I look at says "professionally " cleaned....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    Exactly. Almost all amazon listings I look at says "professionally " cleaned....
    Do you have an example?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Who the heck is a "professional game cleaner"? Where would you go for that and why would anyone waste money on such a thing? When I sell games, I like to say that the games have been cleaned and done so by a collector who knows how to care for games (and rest assured, I do clean them very thoroughly), but I sure as hell wouldn't claim that they were "professionally" cleaned.
    Suddenly thought, Official Nintendo Repair Centers could "professionally" anything a game if you brought it to them, as they were certified by Nintendo. The family store had one years ago (that sticker that you'd see stuck in the window of Mario holding a tool box). My cousin (shop owner) said that he had to go through a sort of certification process to get it. If the paper Nintendo sent back didn't have an expiration or otherwise didn't require a recertification, they're probably still valid.

This is mostly conjecture, though. Wonder if there are any sites out there about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"All cartridges professionally blown."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Polished" is another word that has little meaning, as in "games are hand polished".

Is that polished as in furniture polish, which is really just cleaning?

Is that polished like with polishing compound, which is abrasive and would be overkill most of the time?
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamestop

Well professionally cleaned reminds me of Gamestop refurbished. Gamestop refurbished = just put it in an Gamestop generic box. So these days if I sell stuff I should do this.

Have the following for sale:

1) SNES Earthbound - Professionally played. Cart only and will be professionally cleaned before shipping. It will be professionally packaged and shipped. Remember I am an Professional since I am a Video Game Contractor with a License.