Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ever gotten so mad at a game you broke a controller, cartridge or even the console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Threads like this are interesting to read.

I have played games from 2600 up through modern consoles and never thrown a single item or slammed it in disgust. Get a grip...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I've once got mad enough to throw my controller down I have never broken anything out of anger. I usually just curse alot. Furthermore, while I can still get frustrated by some games I tend to stay away from the uber difficult ones...except for Ninja Gaiden.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    I too played GoldenEye a hell of a lot; probably 1000s of hours. Just me and a friend of mine, but we played with alternate settings, the most important of which was one-hit kills. Well, on certain stages I eventually became able to predict spawn point sequences, so I would run from room to room; sometimes I shot him just as he materialized. After dying this way four or five times in a row, he said fuck it.

I'll also never forget a Mario Kart 64 moment with this same friend. He had just gotten the game and wasn't too familiar with the previous entry in the series. I got ahead of him at one point and stopped in the middle of a narrow bridge with a turtle shell on my ass. He comes flying across the bridge, smacks into the shell, and goes careening off the side and down into the out-of-bounds area. Without saying a word he calmly reached over to the N64 and pressed the reset button. I laughed about that for quite some time.
    Awesome.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The closest I remember getting was Super Monkey Ball.

To this day the only game I can think of that I didn't complete. It bested me.

I was able to be rational enough to not break anything, but I did bruise my leg up pretty bad in fits of rage, not to mention making the neighbors wonder why in the world I was screaming "You god damn fucking monkey!!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Threw a couple controllers as a kid. I do remember when I got my first apartment, a cousin of one of my roomates was playing a SNES game ( I don't even remember which one) and he got so mad at it he ripped the connections out, grabbed the SNES and started bashing it against the wall of my Apt. MY apt. Needless to say he was not allowed back after he left a hole in the wall (but the SNES was fine).

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Recently though I had been going to my moms on the weekends. Her roomates have a ps3, and I was on my way to the "cake", and i stopped. The next week when I went back to the house the save wasnt there. Didnt make me mad about the game, but Ive found that any saves I do dont last on it. I really miss memory cards so I do a real save that will be SAVED. I dont want to get a ps3 cause of this.
    If you're losing saves on a PS3 it's because one of your Mom's roommates is being a dick and erasing them. You should probably take a USB drive and copy your saves (though some games won't let you).

Ancient Scribe Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Threw a couple controllers as a kid. I do remember when I got my first apartment, a cousin of one of my roomates was playing a SNES game ( I don't even remember which one) and he got so mad at it he ripped the connections out, grabbed the SNES and started bashing it against the wall of my Apt. MY apt. Needless to say he was not allowed back after he left a hole in the wall (but the SNES was fine).
    What amazes me is how tough those things are. If he'd done that to a Playstation, I doubt it would have still worked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I remember my brother getting mad at an NES game and throwing the controller at the TV screen. Then I remember my dad yelling at us and none of us getting the play for some time afterwards.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ancient Scribe Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha... yeah, destroying your own game is one thing but don't mess with Dad's TV!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've personally never gotten physical with any of my games.
    My brother, though, when he was younger, used to throw controllers when he got mad enough...I think he broke a PS3 controller once...

A friend of mine, though, when we were younger, got physical a lot.
    He had just gotten a SNES. The only game console our family had was the original NES.
    We used to play Mortal Kombat a lot, and whenever I beat him he'd beat me up. He was smaller than me, but he was wild and I was really pathetic.
    Eventually it got to the point where I'd let him win.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Once, when I was about 16, I threw my Megaman 4 cart at the wall after hours trying to kill the first Dr. Wily vehicle. That moustached bastard. The cart's case broke in half and I was never abel to fix it...I still have to play the came using the PCB only.

As far as I remember, that was the only time I actually broke something; I can also state that I got really, REALLY mad at my younger brother when he got better than me at Rock'n'Roll Racing - to the point I just told him to go fuck himself and left angrily (while he laughed his ass off).

Both of the times, I was already too old for those tantrums; I'm not proud of them (although I do think they're funny now). That said, i admit that I still curse a lot when playing video games. A LOT.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I know that feel thom_m

I destroyed a PS2 controller since i had issues as a kid, It was during Squid Alder's level in Mega Man X5. I also destroyed my friends copy of Super Mario Sunshine too, then I tried to destroy my SNES Controller while playing Star Fox. But as of now, I never get mad while playing video games since i don't take constant annoyances seriously; i just either turn off the console or just try some other game to get my enjoyment back to normal.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I bopped my grandfather in the head with a controller once, very much on accident. Super Bomberman 2 had me raging, to the point that I threw my arms up in frustration. The controller flew out of my hand at the gesture and landed on his head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    It's been 20 years or more, but my NES controllers have teeth marks in them for a reason.
    I think I have one of your controllers, Greg! lol