Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever gotten so mad at a game you broke a controller, cartridge or even the console?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

It seems like a lot of people are discussing friends so ill bring up my best friend Steve. U have never done that the most I've done was like punch the ground and get angry for a moment. Steve on the other hand gets angry to easily. When his Xbox kept freezing and wouldn't load Call Of Duty (he's a modern gamer not me) he actually threw his $80 modded Xbox 360 controller at the wall smashing it to pieces. Another time he threw one at the floor and the case broke but thankfully the controller was alright. Another time he threw one and it knocked over and broke a lamp. He's got some throwing and possibly anger issues hahaha .
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Semi-related though, did anyone else here while playing a game do the "pause, rub your hands on your pants to get the sweat off, then unpause and keep playing" maneuver? Maybe I was just a sweaty kid but I know other people that did it as well and wondering if it was that common.
    Yes! Then again I'm one damn sweaty teenager even though I'm not fat or anything my palms are just insanely sweaty. I sometimes drop the controller on the floor if the game's intense enough from all the sweat Lol. I have to pause often but it doesn't bother me.
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Semi-related though, did anyone else here while playing a game do the "pause, rub your hands on your pants to get the sweat off, then unpause and keep playing" maneuver? Maybe I was just a sweaty kid but I know other people that did it as well and wondering if it was that common.
    Aye. I do that as well if the action gets intense enough.

Ancient Scribe Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    Yes! Then again I'm one damn sweaty teenager even though I'm not fat or anything my palms are just insanely sweaty. I sometimes drop the controller on the floor if the game's intense enough from all the sweat Lol. I have to pause often but it doesn't bother me.
    The worst is when you're in the middle of a part where you can't pause because the action is so intense that timing is everything... and your palms are sweating and you can feel the controller slipping... I also remember a lot of times in the summer when I had no AC sweat would trickle down my brow and sting my eyes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can remember breaking a few controllers as a young kid (I had pretty bad anger issues back then), but I've long since grown out of that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I broke a couple of dualshock 2s in high school. and I punched a laptop while playing WoW once D:, other than that not much really. the most recent thing I can think of is almost breaking a dualshock 3 while playing cathrine >_<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fortunately, for my controllers, I was a weak kid. (And to think, I used to believe it was because it was a quality Nintendo product!) Try as I might, I was never able to break one. I threw them against the wall and the floor and tried to snap them in half, but all to no avail.

I was able to break the lid off of my NES though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I broke an NES controller over Battletoads.

I smashed the plastic case that Wolverine: Adamantium Rage came in while playing a rental copy of said game.

Now I am smart enough to stop blaming myself for the fact that some games are poorly designed to the point that they are not worth one's time. As such, I will never play Battletoads anymore. Ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I have gone full Office Space on servers and network cards before, particularly if they were causing massive amounts of grief. I'd wait until they were ready for "retirement"
    Reminds me of when I got pissed at my shitty dial-up internet not being able to hold a connection for more than a half hour at a time and pounded my fist down on the desk, accidentally smashing my mouse and ripping a huge gash in my hand. Goddamned piece of shit modem...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by Froboz View Post
    The worst is when you're in the middle of a part where you can't pause because the action is so intense that timing is everything... and your palms are sweating and you can feel the controller slipping... I also remember a lot of times in the summer when I had no AC sweat would trickle down my brow and sting my eyes.
    This happens to me too! Haha today I was playing Gunstar Heroes with my friend (as I do frequently hence my name) He had died it was the last boss and I went into the battle with 2 vitality out of a possible 200 vitality and beat the boss and sighed relief wiped my eyes hands and high fives my friend who couldn't believe I won.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

I have gotten physical with countless systems, controllers, and games. The majority of those times involved the NES though. I used to routinely remove the controller, swing it around by the cord until maximum velocity was reached, and then send it crashing down to the floor. Remarkably, I never managed to break one. Perhaps I was just too puny as a child. I also hammer-fisted my NES without reservation. It, and the game, had cheated me, so justice had to be meted out.

More recently I got so enraged at the manner in which I lost some SF3: 3rd Strike matches on PSN that I punched a hole in the bedroom wall of my former apartment.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Balloon Fight View Post
    I've never broken anything that I can remember but about 5 years ago had a hilarious experience with someone raging. I used to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 in tournaments every other week and was pretty good at the game. Played this guy at an arcade who clearly thought he was good. Beat him 4 times and the last time perfected him. He said something, shook my hand then started to leave the arcade. Once he was near the front he ripped his shirt off before completely exiting the arcade. One of the funniest things I've ever seen from a competitive game.
    What do you mean, 'ripped his shirt off'? Hulk Hogan style?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099 View Post
    What do you mean, 'ripped his shirt off'? Hulk Hogan style?!?
    That was the thought that came to my mind.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its really funny when wrestlers do that when theyre angry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    No, never. Someone has anger issues.
    Anger issues has nothing to do with it man - I know lots of gamers who only get frazzled over games, including myself.

My worst rage moment..which my cousins usually remind me of often, was when I threw my Genesis into the wall when I was like 10 years old because I just couldn't pull off the secret finishing moves in Eternal Champions. I tried over and over and over and they were able to pull them off pretty quickly. I've also put my controllers through all sorts of hell, luckily I haven't gotten that frustrated...newer controllers just aren't built that sturdy anymore lol.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

It's been 20 years or more, but my NES controllers have teeth marks in them for a reason.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, this is so true for some of my friends. We used to play Goldeneye at a friends house on the N64 all the time. I was the first one to have the game, and I'd bring my cart with so we could play it with all the unlocks and such.

I was also the best at the game for a long time since I was the on who owned it so I could play more. But one time we were playing and one of my friends got so mad one time he ripped out the controllers from the N64 and pulled my cart out while the system was on and slammed it on table. I was pissed at him possibly messing up my game (it was fine), but looking back on it, its funny to see how focused we were on the game.
    Freshman year in college I had a similar experience with Goldeneye and some friends from the dorms. Goldeneye had been out for some time already, so no one had the advantage of being the first to own the game. Instead of studying for midterms and finals, we tended to waste the time with Goldeneye matches. One of the people living on our floor was an extremely cocky SOB about everything, including videogames. Well he was consistently on the losing end and had to give up the controller to the person in waiting. All the while, he kept talking smack about how good he was. Eventually he threw the controller down in disgust and claimed we were cheating, stormed out the door, and never partook in the gatherings again. Ran in to him a couple years later and he was still a major douche.

Ancient Scribe Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    It, and the game, had cheated me, so justice had to be meted out.
    I hear you. I used to get fighting mad a lot of the time because I felt the game cheated, or because I encountered a glitch (which never seemed to work out in my favour).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Freshman year in college I had a similar experience with Goldeneye and some friends from the dorms. Goldeneye had been out for some time already, so no one had the advantage of being the first to own the game. Instead of studying for midterms and finals, we tended to waste the time with Goldeneye matches. One of the people living on our floor was an extremely cocky SOB about everything, including videogames. Well he was consistently on the losing end and had to give up the controller to the person in waiting. All the while, he kept talking smack about how good he was. Eventually he threw the controller down in disgust and claimed we were cheating, stormed out the door, and never partook in the gatherings again. Ran in to him a couple years later and he was still a major douche.
    I too played GoldenEye a hell of a lot; probably 1000s of hours. Just me and a friend of mine, but we played with alternate settings, the most important of which was one-hit kills. Well, on certain stages I eventually became able to predict spawn point sequences, so I would run from room to room; sometimes I shot him just as he materialized. After dying this way four or five times in a row, he said fuck it.

I'll also never forget a Mario Kart 64 moment with this same friend. He had just gotten the game and wasn't too familiar with the previous entry in the series. I got ahead of him at one point and stopped in the middle of a narrow bridge with a turtle shell on my ass. He comes flying across the bridge, smacks into the shell, and goes careening off the side and down into the out-of-bounds area. Without saying a word he calmly reached over to the N64 and pressed the reset button. I laughed about that for quite some time.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I normally don't have anger issues for many games, but when I was a kid, the Slip Slide Ride level on Donkey Kong Country for the SNES made be mad to the point where I swung the controller in anger and broke the case on my system. Everything still worked, but it actually released some anger and frustration, continued playing and actually beat the level!