Thread: Best version of Cave Story?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best version of Cave Story?

What version of Cave Story would one say is the definitive version? I'd prefer 3D support, if any version outside of the 3DS version have it.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Definitive? The original PC version, of course. If you feel like you need the HD graphics, that's more of a personal preference. Cave Story+ on Steam, at least, lets you switch back to the original graphics if you want to, so then it becomes a question of whether you feel like paying for it.

Admittedly, I have never played the 3DS version and Wikipedia says the graphics were rebuilt from scratch.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

I'm inclined towards Cave Story+ on Steam. I think it does a great job of pretty much everything. The fact that it lets you choose between the upgraded music and graphics, as well as the bonus content (Wind Fortress!) makes it damn near perfect. Considering it's on PC, letting me use my PS3 controller for it is a nice bonus, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cave Story+ is pure love.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say the definitive version is the original fan-translated Windows version. However, for the most part I actually prefer Cave Story+. It's been ported to multiple platforms, it's more convenient, and you can switch between new and original graphics and music. The new graphics I thought were stylistically very faithful to the original, but I'd recommend using the original music, as what little I'd heard of the new didn't seem to capture its charm.

The one thing I don't like about Cave Story+ is how it messes with the player graphics under certain circumstances. The first time I started up the game, my guy looked like a reindeer, apparently because it detected that I was playing it during the holidays or something. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying since there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. It also changes the way your guy looks depending on the difficulty level you choose. Other than that, great version IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    The one thing I don't like about Cave Story+ is how it messes with the player graphics under certain circumstances. The first time I started up the game, my guy looked like a reindeer, apparently because it detected that I was playing it during the holidays or something. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying since there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off.
    Last December was crazy, crazy times on Steam. I can't quite recall what things were like when the content was introduced last December, but according to http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2478128 it's now strictly active on December 25.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)