Thread: Reproduced boxes and manuals must be against eBay policy, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Reproduced boxes and manuals must be against eBay policy, right?

I was looking for a Mega Man X3 box / manual to add to my copy of the game and came across this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Megaman-X3-B...item43b3f63a32

The price seemed too good to be true so, of course, it was. They are both reproductions. At best, this auction seems shameful. At worst, it seems illegal since I'm sure Capcom owns the right to the art. Am I wrong here? Is there some loophole that makes the reproduction of boxes and manuals ok? And how do fellow collectors feel about this? Personally, I'd rather not have the box/manual if it's not original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I reported it. Think everyone reading this should do the same.

Last thing we need is having to worry about bootleg boxes and manuals now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andred View Post
    I was looking for a Mega Man X3 box / manual to add to my copy of the game and came across this auction:

The price seemed too good to be true so, of course, it was. They are both reproductions. At best, this auction seems shameful. At worst, it seems illegal since I'm sure Capcom owns the right to the art. Am I wrong here? Is there some loophole that makes the reproduction of boxes and manuals ok? And how do fellow collectors feel about this? Personally, I'd rather not have the box/manual if it's not original.

Personally I see no problem with it since he seems to make it perfectly clear that its a repo box and manual.
    Now if he claimed that they were originals and then shipped copies I'd see a reason to be pissed.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Personally I see no problem with it since he seems to make it perfectly clear that its a repo box and manual.
    Now if he claimed that they were originals and then shipped copies I'd see a reason to be pissed.
    It's not like anyone would buy the box, stick their loose cart in it, and just list it again on ebay as a complete copy without any mention of the box being a reproduction. It's just crazy to think that could happen.

If replacement side art and marquees for arcade games are fine I don't really see this being any more illegal to produce. I'm still pretty much against reproduction stuff including replacement labels for games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andred View Post

Defiantly illegal, whether Capcom files wants to sue is another matter. The "loophole" is that many publishers don't give a s***. Please burn these as a favor to all video game collectors. BTW I get pissed off about "Complete" systems where the serial number on the box doesn't match, now there is even more for me to complain about...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It's not like anyone would buy the box, stick their loose cart in it, and just list it again on ebay as a complete copy without any mention of the box being a reproduction. It's just crazy to think that could happen.

If replacement side art and marquees for arcade games are fine I don't really see this being any more illegal to produce. I'm still pretty much against reproduction stuff including replacement labels for games.

Well then that would be a listing violation for the reseller, not the seller in the above linked auction who makes it perfectly clear that these are repos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know ebay really doesn't care. I mean at one time they did, but I'm not sure when but at least sometime this year they created system entries for established reproduction carts like Starfox 2 and Terranigma even saying they're in english too. At that point it became pointless to even report the stuff.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Well then that would be a listing violation for the reseller, not the seller in the above linked auction who makes it perfectly clear that these are repos.
    True, I just posted why people hate these types of reproduction pieces even existing. You're ok with it, plenty of other people aren't. It just makes it harder to collect legit stuff later on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah everyone has their own feelings on the stuff. And in a possibly more narrow sense all depending on what it is too. At least from what I see here, this site is respectful of opinions on such things and it doesn't turn into a witch hunt by collectors.

I've always taken the classic restoration approach to such things. Make it look and feel right, no corner cutting, and no tattooing up the stuff with lame logos or repro sprayed across the front. It's like with old cars, you can buy reproduction or new parts, they're not branded as such, but people have to be wise in their purchases, ask questions, and look things over. You can get a car with a lot of repro parts, it's worth like maybe 1/2 or 2/3 the value vs a fully restored OEM car, but they look the same, drive the same, and keep either party happy.

For me I don't care much on the whole box thing, but one I do like is restortation project art for labels on old cartridges since time, stupidity, weather, and bad luck take their toll. It's much like putting a new paint job on an old car, the car is the same, but you get the rust and bad paint off and make it right.

I'm currently having someone to a 1:1 piece for me for my naked Gun Nac cart. I've been bitched out for it, don't care. They said if I cared I'd eat the $80 on the game, well when I have one dangled at me for $10 I'm not stupid, I'll take the naked but otherwise 100% solid cart and give it a new paint job(sticker.) And like some car guy, if I ever did sell it, I'd let the new perspective owner know it's a restoration project.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was another guy selling reproduced Musha sleeve art.......all I have to say is that these people are assholes and deserve a kick in the teeth. Make it known its a repro or watermakr the artwork or do something to it to clarify its a repro.....selling it as the real deal or "forgetting" to mention its a dupe is BS!!!