Thread: VITA owners UNITE!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default VITA owners UNITE!

I read that a huge percent of Vita owners already previously owned a PS3. After reading this I realized that I must be one of the few that have a Vita but no PS3. Am I doing things backwards? I think the appeal of the Vita to PS3 owners is the cross-play feature - and that would explain why so many PS3 owners get a Vita. I personally got it because it looked like an absolutely amazing handheld (which it is). I don't even know if I will ever own a PS3, I am pretty happy with my Xbox 360.

Is there any other Vita owners here that do not own a PS3? What was your appeal to the Vita?

Personally I think the Vita is an amazing handheld, I am floored by it. It's that good. It's hard to impress me when it comes to games, but the Vita does that. I don't understand everyone's grief with it. Yeah the price is a little high but is it? Hell I payed about the same amount for my Nomad when it first came out. I'm sure the price will drop soon as well.

Also I don't understand people's complaints about the game selection. It seems to me there are games coming out for it quickly enough, whether on store shelves, through the Playstation Store, or with all the PSP and PS1 ports. There are literally hundreds of games you can play on it, RIGHT NOW. I think a lot of the people that complain about it are the younger generation that are used to 20 games or more being released on a system per month. When I was growing up playing Genesis or SNES and NES games if 5-10 games came out in one month that was considered pretty good. I think the younger generation of gamers are getting spoiled with millions of releases for consoles. But the reality of it is - is anyone really going to play all the games, and have the time to go through and beat every one of them anyways? I just feel like people expect way too much out of a console these days. If the Vita got 5 games a month I would be perfectly ok with that. I can only handle so many games - I'm just one person.

That aside, I am very satisfied with the games currently available, they are pretty much ALL quality titles, the quality of games ratio seems about as good as the Turbografx. Nearly every game released for it is very good or at least good. So far I have not run into a game that I feel is complete crap on the Vita.

I know this sounds like a rant, but I am ranting FOR the Vita! What's gonna happen is the media and everyone is complaining about sales, lack of games, price, etc etc - and it's going to be a catalyst and then there really will be a problem. If people would just pick one up and try it and maybe even take the plunge I think it would get the rep that it deserves.

Also, I think people are underestimating how popular it's going to be. It may be slow to start but I have a feeling it's going to be quite a success.

You know, I was looking at the game selection of the 3DS and the Vita at my local Walmart and Target, and honestly the 3DS didn't seem to have much more games on the shelve. Not only that, but pretty much all of the 3DS games looked like crap while the Vita games all looked awesome.

VITA owners - what are your thoughts on this awesome console (I mean handheld that plays like a freakin' PS3)? I think it's going to be a hot item this Christmas. If people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for an iPhone5 and things like an iPad I don't see why anyone should hesitate paying half that for an AWESOME handheld that would blow away any games on any tablet or mobile phone.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

I think the appeal of the Vita to PS3 owners is the cross-play feature - and that would explain why so many PS3 owners get a Vita.
    What's the cross-play feature?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I've put 100s of hours into my vita, awesome system with an amazing screen.
    Modern gamers are generally a bunch of whiny bitches who complain about everything under the sun.
    Disgaea 3 alone has consumed most of those hours, but with all the psn games, ps1 classics (no load time!) and new games coming out all the time, it's now getting more use then my shitty 3ds would ever have dreamed possible.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    What's the cross-play feature?
    Unavailable for most games, but the ability to play some games online on the Vita against PS3 owners. Wipeout 2048 and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale are the only two I know of. With Wipeout, it's its own game so has all of its own tracks, and it also comes with three or four tracks of HD which are the only ones that can play against PS3 owners who own HD. It was around six months later that they released HD/Fury add on content that allowed you to download the DLC to play the rest of the tracks, so if you have that, then you can play all tracks against PS3 owners, and if you owned the PS3 versions of those games already, the DLC is free.

Dragon's Crown for PS3/Vita should also support cross-play as well.

-

Having already have owned a PSP, hundreds of PSX games, and being against digital, none of the digital content on the Vita really does anything for me. Because really you get what you pay for, atleast for the most part. There are two digital games I'm interested in picking up at some point. Aqua Kitty and Retro City Rampage.

When it comes to big release Vita titles, like Oldskool mentioned, almost all of them are good or very good. I say almost, because out of all the Vita games or demos of games I've played, the only two that I've played that are piece of sh** games are Little Deviants and Dynasty Warriors. A lot of games do add forced touch screen/touch panel functionality, something you would have seen on a lot of early DS titles, but most developers use it very well, so it's not much of a problem. Uncharted is probably the only game where it's an annoyance because of all the touch screen crap when finding secrets.

I'll also agree with the Vita having better games than the 3DS. The 3DS has so many more games, but there are fewer good releases. The last few couple games that have came out that I've been interested in are New Super Mario Bros 2, Code of Princess, and Resident Evil Revelations. I don't own Code of Princess yet, but I'll be getting it once it gets a sale. It won't be until March of next year that I'll get anything else, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and by that time, I'll have gotten Ragnarok Odyssey, Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation, and Playstation All Stars.

I also have emulated custom firmware on my Vita for right now, but honestly. I was thinking. I have my PSP. What's the point. So next update on the Vita, I'm not going to care whether or not the exploit gets disabled, since it's too much of a hassle to transfer stuff over to the Vita in comparison to the PSP when it can only do the same thing as a fat PSP(PSP emulation lacks the ram the slim PSP has.)

Anyways. My favorite games on the Vita.

Wipeout 2048 with the Wipeout HD/Fury Add On content. One of the greatest racing games ever made.
    Little Big Planet Vita. An amazing game on its own, but also includes a creation tool with new levels being posted on an almost daily basis. While Little Deviants was a terrible game, one LBP level replicates the only good level that Little Deviants had to offer. The one level where you jump out of a helicopter and free fall collecting things and going in the point circles until you parachute when close to the ground. The LBP level also uses tilt control to control where you're moving to on screen while you free fall.
    Unit 13. Mission based Call of Duty like game. It's got a score system for each mission giving you incentive to replay the mission and try for a higher score.
    Gravity Rush. Still have played only the demo, but it's an amazing experience. I'm still waiting for a price drop or trying to find a sale since it's been out for so long before I tried the game. I know one is coming soon.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-24-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    VITA owners - what are your thoughts on this awesome console (I mean handheld that plays like a freakin' PS3)? I think it's going to be a hot item this Christmas. If people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for an iPhone5 and things like an iPad I don't see why anyone should hesitate paying half that for an AWESOME handheld that would blow away any games on any tablet or mobile phone.
    Unless things change (price cut, great exclusives) this may be Vita's last holiday season. I love the actual hardware, but console ports, a lack of exclusive killer apps, and shovelware along with a high price for hardware and memory cards isn't doing the system favors.

I'd say the criticism is largely warranted and I like Vita.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Unless things change (price cut, great exclusives) this may be Vita's last holiday season. I love the actual hardware, but console ports, a lack of exclusive killer apps, and shovelware along with a high price for hardware and memory cards isn't doing the system favors.

I'd say the criticism is largely warranted and I like Vita.
    Most of these "console ports" you speak of aren't really "ports." They're multiconsole. When the game comes out at the same time, it's multiconsole. When it comes out afterwards. It's a port. The Vita has some ports for sure, but most of what everyone is calling ports aren't ports at all.

Also where is all this shovelware you speak of? There's no shovelware when it comes to retail releases and I don't know anyone who would expect most digital games to be worth a damn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The $250 price of the Vita is fine by me, it's the price of the memory cards and lack of games that interest me personally that's keeping me from getting one right now.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Most of these "console ports" you speak of aren't really "ports." They're multiconsole. When the game comes out at the same time, it's multiconsole. When it comes out afterwards. It's a port. The Vita has some ports for sure, but most of what everyone is calling ports aren't ports at all.

Also where is all this shovelware you speak of? There's no shovelware when it comes to retail releases and I don't know anyone who would expect most digital games to be worth a damn.
    I think you don't understand the concept of a port. A port has less to do with timing of the release and more to do with the source material. There are many games that are available on multiple platforms that may share the same name and basic source material, but are in fact different games completely. There are also games that are ported from one platform to another but are released in close time proximity. A port is just an adaptation of a piece of software for a particular platform rather than starting completely from scratch. In this era, developers typically choose one platform as the lead and then use various middleware tools to port that code to the other platforms. ACIII on the Vita is not a port, it's a completely different game. Rayman Origins on the Vita is clearly a port. As such, there are quite a few "ports" on the Vita, although many of them have enhancements from the console or handheld software from which they have been adapted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I think you don't understand the concept of a port. A port has less to do with timing of the release and more to do with the source material. There are many games that are available on multiple platforms that may share the same name and basic source material, but are in fact different games completely. There are also games that are ported from one platform to another but are released in close time proximity. A port is just an adaptation of a piece of software for a particular platform rather than starting completely from scratch. In this era, developers typically choose one platform as the lead and then use various middleware tools to port that code to the other platforms. ACIII on the Vita is not a port, it's a completely different game. Rayman Origins on the Vita is clearly a port. As such, there are quite a few "ports" on the Vita, although many of them have enhancements from the console or handheld software from which they have been adapted.
    This too...
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I like my Vita a lot.

I think that the system is showing signs of getting out of a very prolonged first year full of growing pains.

Personally I've been playing it almost daily since they went live with PSOne classics (just using that as a jumping-off point for increased usage, I'm not strictly playing PSOne games on it, though I am doing that too).

I don't think that the future of the Vita is AS grim as some are presently predicting. I think Sony has a penchant for supporting hardware through lean LEAN times, and they'll figure something out for Vita in the future.

If this isn't occurring already behind the scenes with developers, I'm thinking that it might get some WiiU type functionality with PS3 games as an initiative once the WiiU launches, leading to Sony even having a PS3 bundle with a Vita.

Also, I don't even think it needs as much of a hardware price drop as it needs one for the proprietary memory cards.

I'm a very pro-digitial-download kinda guy and when I'm hampered by storage limitations on my device, I hesitate on spending money on digital content. If I could afford the larger memory cards, I'd spend more on the PSN store and even buy the full-fledged games digital at launch.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There are "ports" and "ports." Most PS3 games are 360 ports, yes, which you've explained, but what most people mean when they say "port" is just a rerelease. It's called a homonym.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There are "ports" and "ports." Most PS3 games are 360 ports, yes, which you've explained, but what most people mean when they say "port" is just a rerelease. It's called a homonym.
    I don't know about most people, but when the term "port" is used in the video game industry, it has a pretty specific meaning and it's not how you have defined it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You don't think games like Dungeon Hunter Alliance or Spy Hunter are shovelware? Admittedly the shovelware hasn't been as bad as the Wii or 3DS, but it's still there without a doubt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off the top of my head I would class stuff like Rayman Origins, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Street Fighter X Tekken as ports. Solid games, but ports all the same (by your definition). I'd like exclusive stuff of the same quality, not ports.

I use shovelware as a broad term for product I simply don't like or don't find compelling. Shovelware is a subjective term anyway. Even the solid ports I mentioned fall into this to an extent in the sense that they aren't a compelling reason for *me* to own the system. I'm far from alone on that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's nonsense, there's zero chance that the Vita is going away anytime soon.

The 3DS also went through a rough opening stretch but things are starting to look up compared to just ten or eleven months ago. There's several major releases now available with several in the pipeline and it's starting to build some significant momentum.

I see no reason why in a year or so that the Vita won't be enjoying a similar position of excitement and growth at the same point in its lifecycle. They both got off to unfortunate slow starts, but it's foolish to be predicting the imminent demise of something that is still a fair ways away from even celebrating its first birthday anywhere in the world (And 1/3 of a year away in the United States).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-24-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    That's nonsense, there's zero chance that the Vita is going away anytime soon.

The 3DS also went through a rough opening stretch but things are starting to look up compared to just ten or eleven months ago. There's several major releases now available with several in the pipeline and it's starting to build some significant momentum.

I see no reason why in a year or so that the Vita won't be enjoying a similar position of excitement and growth at the same point in its lifecycle. They both got off to unfortunate slow starts, but it's foolish to be predicting the imminent demise of something that is still a fair ways away from even celebrating its first birthday anywhere in the world (And 1/3 of a year away in the United States).
    Is it nonsense?

Vita sales have been lackluster in all major markets and it hasn't been selling a lot of software. Third party developers aren't flocking to it either. I wasn't so bold to say this *will* be the Vita's last holiday and you probably should've considered the facts before you stated there's zero chance it won't be. Sony isn't the company it was when it green lit Vita and the game market isn't nearly the same either. On top of that, Sony is worried about this system and rightfully so.

3DS got a lift due to aggressive price drops and bundles, especially during the Holiday season. But Nintendo hasn't totally turned the tides. According to the latest reports (Example: http://www.edge-online.com/news/nint...os-2-sells-3m/) they're still taking a loss.

What I was saying is that for Vita to improve it needs compelling content along with a compelling price. Is that really nonsense?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is it nonsense?

Vita sales have been lackluster in all major markets and it hasn't been selling a lot of software. Third party developers aren't flocking to it either. I wasn't so bold to say this *will* be the Vita's last holiday and you probably should've considered the facts before you stated there's zero chance it won't be. Sony isn't the company it was when it green lit Vita and the game market isn't nearly the same either. On top of that, Sony is worried about this system and rightfully so.

3DS got a lift due to aggressive price drops and bundles, especially during the Holiday season. But Nintendo hasn't totally turned the tides. According to the latest reports (Example: http://www.edge-online.com/news/nint...os-2-sells-3m/) they're still taking a loss.

What I was saying is that for Vita to improve it needs compelling content along with a compelling price. Is that really nonsense?
    I normally don't agree with doom and gloom predictions, but Sony itself has been very clear that it has been disappointed with the Vita's sales performance and lack of third party support.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...9#.UGhe8xhNCu5

While I don't think this will be its last holiday season, if something doesn't change drastically, I doubt it will be around as long as the PSP was. The competition from other mobile gaming devices like smartphones and iPads and presumably the new iPad mini is making handheld gaming a tougher and tougher business model. Selling a $250 gaming device that isn't also a smartphone or a particularly good web surfing or more general media player device is tough in any economy, let alone one that is still recovering from such a damaging worldwide crisis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I normally don't agree with doom and gloom predictions, but Sony itself has been very clear that it has been disappointed with the Vita's sales performance and lack of third party support.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...9#.UGhe8xhNCu5

While I don't think this will be its last holiday season, if something doesn't change drastically, I doubt it will be around as long as the PSP was. The competition from other mobile gaming devices like smartphones and iPads and presumably the new iPad mini is making handheld gaming a tougher and tougher business model. Selling a $250 gaming device that isn't also a smartphone or a particularly good web surfing or more general media player device is tough in any economy, let alone one that is still recovering from such a damaging worldwide crisis.
    I wasn't trying to antagonize anyone in terms of 3DS' or Vita's somewhat gloomy outlook, but the industry is clearly shifting to other devices. I've heard several major publishers privately state the future is not with the traditional industry. Look at where they're investing and developing now. I tend to agree with them, but I don't think we'll see traditional games and systems go away any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wasn't so bold to say this *will* be the Vita's last holiday and you probably should've considered the facts before you stated there's zero chance it won't be.
    I never said you said it will happen. You said it could happen. Hence my disagreement since I see zero chance it could outside of Sony itself failing.

You're stretching things about as far as you can in making a claim that the Vita could possibly disappear next year and acting like it's more than just a crazy outside chance that's just theoritically possible. Predictions don't come much more outlandish these days in videogaming than stating that a major console/handheld manufacturer that has a major stake in just about every electronics/media business there is out there is suddenly going to discontinue a major system at age 1 just because it was a bit slow out of the gate.

The only way it could possibly happen were to be if Sony itself implodes and the company disappears or they have to take drastic measures to trim most of the company off in a last ditch attempt to save something out of the rubble with the Vita being a victim.

Sony isn't the company it was when it green lit Vita and the game market isn't nearly the same either.
    I think if you were to actually check the facts, Sony's corporate issues go back well over half a decade. Their situation hasn't changed that drastically over the past three or four years.

On top of that, Sony is worried about this system and rightfully so.
    I really doubt they ever said anything of the sort. I've seen quotes expressing some disatisfaction with where they currently are with it. But nothing that suggests that they're anything but confident that it's in for a successful life when all is said and done.

And if they did, I'm sure they'd be fighting harder. For instance if they really thought that, there's no way that they'd be all but silent during E3 just a few months after launch. Instead what I witnessed to me suggests that Sony expected and was prepared for the thing to have a slow opening few months.

If anything shocked them, I bet it has been Japan's reluctance to leave their beloved PSP behind and upgrade. And I doubt they're losing any sleep over a slow start in a territory that was never that huge of a market to begin with that has been in a decline for years where videogaming is concerned.

People that like making bold predictions like how we're nearing a new crash, that console's are going away, that handhelds are going away, that AAA games are going extinct, that we're going to an all streaming model in the near future, that physical media is going to disappear years before internet infrastructure would be anywhere close to making it viable, were still regularly making such claims about the 3DS earlier this year almost before the plastic had even had a chance to cool on the first unit manufactured last year. Instead the 3DS is nearing the end of 2012 on an uptick with what appears to be a promising future. And certainly premature death has ceased to be something people bring up (as if it was ever a real concern).

And be aware that Nintendo is more than just a handheld company. I suspect if I were to investigate their latest financial reports that I'd see most of the reasons why they're in their current financial situation being directed towards the slow start the 3DS enjoyed, poor performance of their legacy systems, financial market issues out of their control like currency exchange rates, and it having been almost absent in the console world for an extended period until next month's Wii U launch.

I suspect that they're pretty pleased at where the 3DS is now.

No, but that's also not what you stated that I called nonsense.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-24-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    You weren't so bold when you stated that? You're stretching things about as far as you can in making that claim. Predictions don't come much more bold these days than stating that a major console/handheld manufacturer that has a major stake in just about every electronics/media business there is is going to discontinue a major system at age 1.

The only way it could possibly happen were to be if Sony itself implodes and the company disappears or they have to take drastic measures to trim most of the company off in a last ditch attempt to save something out of the rubble with the Vita being a victim.

I think if you were to actually check the facts, Sony's corporate issues go back well over half a decade. Their situation hasn't changed that drastically over the past three or four years.

I really doubt they ever said anything of the sort. I've seen quotes expressing some disatisfaction with where they currently are with it. But nothing that suggests that they're anything but confident that it's in for a successful life when all is said and done.

And if they did, I'm sure they'd be fighting harder. For instance if they really thought that, there's no way that they'd be all but silent during E3 just a few months after launch. Instead what I witnessed to me suggests that Sony expected and was prepared for the thing to have a slow opening few months.

If anything shocked them, I bet it has been Japan's reluctance to leave their beloved PSP behind and upgrade. And I doubt they're losing any sleep over a slow start in a territory that was never that huge of a market to begin with that has been in a decline for years where videogaming is concerned.

People that like making bold predictions like how we're nearing a new crash, that console's are going away, that handhelds are going away, that AAA games are going extinct, that we're going to an all streaming model in the near future, that physical media is going to disappear years before internet infrastructure would be anywhere close to making it viable, were still regularly making such claims about the 3DS earlier this year almost before the plastic had even had a chance to cool on the first unit manufactured last year. Instead the 3DS is nearing the end of 2012 on an uptick with what appears to be a promising future. And certainly premature death has ceased to be something people bring up (as if it was ever a real concern).

And be aware that Nintendo is more than just a handheld company. I suspect if I were to investigate their latest financial reports that I'd see most of the reasons why they're in their current financial situation being directed towards the slow start the 3DS enjoyed, poor performance of their legacy systems, financial market issues out of their control like currency exchange rates, and it having been almost absent in the console world for an extended period until next month's Wii U launch.

I suspect that they're pretty pleased at where the 3DS is now.

No, but that's also not what you stated that I called nonsense.
    I stand by my comments, but thanks for stopping by.