Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 171

Thread: VITA owners UNITE!

  1. #61
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Dangerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Going off GameStop's list. Considering you can reserve console games slated for 2014, I'm pretty sure their view of the upcoming list is a bit better.

  2. #62
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,610
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    Okay then. Both Gamestop and Gamefaqs is wrong then. Where's Dragon's Crown, Killzone Mercenary, and Tearaway. Those are coming out 2013 and aren't listed.

    While this is for the PS3 version, as the Vita version is digital only, Ratchet and Clank Full Frontal Assault also isn't shown on either release page. It's coming out 11/27. Looks boring as hell if you ask me though.

    For those that miss the thread in the deals page. 3G version of Vita is $179 at Target now.

    http://www.target.com/p/playstation-...lot=medium_1_2
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  3. #63
    Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ra Cailum
    Posts
    825
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I know right. That's what I was thinking. I didn't expect my thread to escalate into this. I wonder if most of the people in this thread even has a Vita. All I have to say is that if people would stop analyzing Sony and their practices and stop debating whether they are going to fail or win, and just pick one up and play it then all of this wouldn't really be a concern. Way too much over analzing in here.

    OK, so to those who OWN a Vita. What are your thoughts on it and what made you decide to purchase it? What is your favorite game, and what game is the one you are looking the most forward to? I personally can't wait for Phantasy Star on the Vita. I was thoroughly addicted to PSO on the DS, and it wasn't even that good of a game. On the Vita it can be just as sweet as the PC version, or even better.

    Other than the free AR games and now the free Frobisher Says game, I own Madden 13 (bundle), Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, and Rayman. Of those I have played the most of Hot Shots golf, for ANYONE with a Vita, I HIGHLY recommend this game, you don't even have to be a golf fan to love it, it's just FUN. Next favorite of the games I own would have to be Rayman, BEST Rayman game EVER since the original PSX release - if you ask me. It's the formula Rayman should have stuck with. Yeah it's a port but big deal, it's awesome. Wipeout is freaking amazing I admit, I've just been too busy playing Hot Shots and Rayman to put much time into it - same for Madden 13, it's a GOOD game. I am just so consumed with Hot Shots and Rayman I haven't given it a chance.
    thatesclatedquickly.jpg

    So anyways I've owned a Vita since launch and love the thing. I picked one up because the PSP was my personal favorite portable last cycle and I hope that the Vita will delivered that same experience of a wide arrange of titles with an ease of importing the stuff we don't get here, thus far its doing exactly that. Combined with some nice PSP emulation options and PS1 titles and PSN minis make it a great portable system, I do wish there were more games on the horizon to look forward too but the few coming up look fantastic. As has been said over and over the hardware is amazing but personally my favorite feature is the D-pad, really one of the best I have ever used for all game types and if it holds up over time I really hope that Sony starts using it on its controllers because its really really good. lol

    My current collection stands at:
    Rayman Origins
    Uncharted: GA
    Disgaea 3
    Mortal Kombat
    Wipeout 2048
    Unit 13
    BlazeBlue
    Gravity Rush
    LBP
    Project Diva F

    This isn't mentioning the "core" PS1 RPG library about 20 PSP games like Dissidia 2, God Eater Burst, Disgaea 1-2, etc. and downloaded games like RCR and the like. The console really has a ton of content available on it that's nice to have all in one place with the great hardware controls of the console. I think my favorite game thus far has been Gravity Rush and I really hope we see a sequal that ties the story up and polishes up the game somewhat. The artstyle coupled with the world they created really sucked me in and I'm sure the majority of the time I spent ingame was just enjoying the sensation of flying around the city. I just wish that combat was more indepth then it ended up being and that they utilize the open world aspect better if/when they do a sequel. The city was fun to fly around just had little to do outside of that.

    I'm most looking forward to Killzone Mercenary and AC III Liberation. KZ:M's short clip looked great and as a fan of the series I am anways interested in the next installment. A solid FSP game on the handheld would be great too as Burning Skies seemed rather lackluster and I don't really have high hopes for Blops Vita so far. I haven't played an AC game before but the character and setting of Liberation look very interesting, pending reviews I might pick that one up too.

    I seriously doubt that this will revive this thread but if you do own a vita get a Hori Grip. I've bought and thrown away pretty much every other amazon grip avaliable and this is the best one IMO. Keeps your hands off the rear touch pad when you don't want them there but keeps in it easy reach when you do. Also has handles that slide up for a more compact package...seriously buy it if you have any issues using the thing.

  4. #64
    Banana (Level 7) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I own Madden 13 (bundle), Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, and Rayman. Of those I have played the most of Hot Shots golf, for ANYONE with a Vita, I HIGHLY recommend this game, you don't even have to be a golf fan to love it, it's just FUN. Next favorite of the games I own would have to be Rayman, BEST Rayman game EVER since the original PSX release - if you ask me. It's the formula Rayman should have stuck with. Yeah it's a port but big deal, it's awesome. Wipeout is freaking amazing I admit, I've just been too busy playing Hot Shots and Rayman to put much time into it - same for Madden 13, it's a GOOD game. I am just so consumed with Hot Shots and Rayman I haven't given it a chance.
    I feel pretty much exactly the same way. Hot Shots is the killer app. Fifa is amazing, you should try that. The first Fifa is perfectly fine, so just find a used one for $15 or less. Wipeout is great, but hard. Madden 13 is surprisingly decent after that patch, and it can be had on Ebay for about $17, which is real nice. Super Stardust Delta is awesome. It's a great downloadable title.

    Also, that Montezuma game, the freemium game... I play that game A LOT. I've never paid any money to play it. I just did the free games, and that's it. Still, I enjoy playing it.


    As for Rayman, that's a game that I need to find somewhere for like $15. I'd buy it in a second. I'm also interested in the new Need For Speed game. I've heard some strange things about the Assassin's Creed game, so not sure about that. I've also heard that the Call of Duty game is really lame. (same guys that did the crappy Resistance vita game)

  5. #65
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,610
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I've also heard that the Call of Duty game is really lame. (same guys that did the crappy Resistance vita game)
    I'm no fan of Call of Duty, but the new Call of Duty bashing just because the Resistance game may or may not have sucked is just another case of sheep following the herd. The game isn't out for another three weeks so how do these people know how good or bad the game is?

    We've all been collecting for awhile, so I'm assuming we've all been gaming for awhile, but who here hasn't seen developers that may have developed a bad game and then their next title was a much better game. We've also seen developers who have made amazing games, and then release some garbage afterwards. It happens.

    One thing that's weird is just how some games professional reviewers just seem to feel the need to hold on a much higher pedestal than others. If you've watched any reviews of Resistance, every one of them mentions that it's not a bad game, it's just a completely average shooter that doesn't live up to the rest of the series. So it's an average shooter and instead of the normal scores you usually see average games getting, it just gets raped when it comes to scoring. Metacritic has a 6/10 average and that's really not a bad score if you're actually scoring it properly(3/5,) but then Binary Domain has a 7.3 average, and has all the exact same complaints, that it's also too average of a shooter. How Binary Domain got a 7.3 average is beyond me. It's so average that there's nothing to the game other than killing a few enemies here and then proceeding to the next area to do the same thing against the same exact enemies the entire game. There are literally three variations of the same robot all six chapters, a robot that uses a mini gun, and then some stages there are a couple small robots that are just and not even a threat . All the enemies have the most stupid AI where they just stand in the same spot letting you kill them. I'm not that great at shooters, and playing the hardest difficult, I died twice on the game and both times it was the exact same boss because my allies are retarded.

    Seriously though. Certain games get slammed and then everyone just follows the crowd like a bunch of sheep. Resident Evil 6. The game sucks ass, but I'm sure that most of the people bashing it probably didn't even play atleast the demo before hand. They just saw everyone else hated it and then just used someone elses opinion as their own.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  6. #66
    Banana (Level 7) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'm no fan of Call of Duty, but the new Call of Duty bashing just because the Resistance game may or may not have sucked is just another case of sheep following the herd. The game isn't out for another three weeks so how do these people know how good or bad the game is?

    I listen to a ton of gaming podcasts. A couple of different podcasts have had guys on them that have actually played the Vita version, and their first impressions were NOT good. Sure, maybe somehow the game ends up dramatcially better than when they got a chance to play it, but I'm not holding my breath... I mean, just play Resistance: BS and see what a mean. BS should stand for something different, lol... Still, I wouldn't mind trying the game out, but no way in hell I'm paying full pop for it. I'll have to pick it up on the cheap..

  7. #67
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    93
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Unless things change (price cut, great exclusives) this may be Vita's last holiday season. I love the actual hardware, but console ports, a lack of exclusive killer apps, and shovelware along with a high price for hardware and memory cards isn't doing the system favors.

    I'd say the criticism is largely warranted and I like Vita.
    Agreed. The hardware is certainly impressive, but it has too many ports and not enough exclusives. I'm interested in the Vita, but will not place any serious consideration into getting one until/unless these issues are resolved.

  8. #68
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Dangerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Unless things change (price cut, great exclusives) this may be Vita's last holiday season.

    It would be the Vita's only [American] holiday season - it launched in February of this year.

    As staunch opponent, but respectful of the deck's fixes from the PSP, since day 1, I finally acquired one with Uncharted, Metal Gear, and Mortal Kombat.

    Most of my fears (which posts have since been eradicated from the internet by a devious mod on another forum) have come true in my first 5 hours of messing with the system.

    a. The user interface is atrocious, period.

    b. The library is pitiful and delusional. The amount of true exclusives is dire and most are all ready being bargain binned by Sony (most games are now half-price of launch day and it's not even been a full year of release).

    c. The graphics are amazing, sure. Uncharted looks amazing, and Mortal Kombat's characters look respectable. But there has to be more to it than that. If graphics were all it meant we'd all be playing Neo Geo 360s right now.

    d. The system suffers the same mind numbing issues the PS3 has when it comes to functionality. I have a new game, but there's updates I need to sit through, but first let's install the game. Uncharted even turned off a feature on me that I didn't want turned off. The hell?

    e. The analog nubs are in the worst location, just like the PSP. I know I'm probably in the minority hear, but no matter how I hold the system, my wrists begin to hurt after a half hour or so.

    f. Three different items that should be cross compatible (i.e. bought on PSN to PS3, then transfer that to PSV) have either not worked or needed some bizarre fix / re download to work right. The Vita's PSN store front is even more atrocious than the original PS3's one.

    For such a powerful system, ironically just like the PS3, the Vita has some serious issues (price, interface, library, usability) that Sony doesn't seem to think need fixxing aside from "We'll just toss in a game and a memory card...unless you're madden ." Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this thing bounce back like the PS3 did, but there's this dark shadow over it that isn't going to disappear anytime soon.

  9. #69
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,610
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    e. The analog nubs are in the worst location, just like the PSP. I know I'm probably in the minority hear, but no matter how I hold the system, my wrists begin to hurt after a half hour or so.
    I also have problems with the controls similar to this reason but also another. Now for the most part, the analog sticks work amazingly well, but the problems I have deals with the right analog stick and the size of the buttons. With the analog sticks, they're just too close to the buttons for my liking. If they were slightly further away, then it'd be fine, but when playing a game like Wipeout 2048, while it doesn't happen often, I might be in an elimination match, only for my car to flip around 360 because I slightly touched the right analog.

    The other problem is the face buttons are very small and spaced in such a way it forces me to change the way I play using the system. When playing video games on most systems I use the inner joint of my thumb for one button and the top portion of my thumb for the other button. Almost every single console since the NES the controls were spaced perfectly to do as such. With the Vita, I can't do that because of the spacing and size of the buttons, having to use the top of my thumb to press one and the middle portion of my thumb above the joint to press the lower button. When you've been playing games for so long one way, and then forced to do so a completely different way on a similar controller. It's such a small issue, but at the same time it's a major annoyance. Although it's not nearly as bad as how uncomfortable it is to play a game that utilizes the L and R buttons on the 3DS, so from DS to 3DS, even Nintendo screwed up(pressing select and start sucks ass on the 3DS as well.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  10. #70
    Banana (Level 7) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    The library is pitiful and delusional. The amount of true exclusives is dire and most are all ready being bargain binned by Sony (most games are now half-price of launch day and it's not even been a full year of release).

    The library is pitiful and delusional ? Really ? Come on now...

    Look, the game selection might not cater to your specific tastes, but there are many, many good games on Vita. Sure, they might not be the brand new releases that you're craving for, but many of the original launch games are quite good. Here is a list of games that I think are all outstanding:


    1. Hot Shots Golf - Probably the single best game on Vita. If you have zero interest in a super fun, super casual golf game, well... I can't help you there. The game is Golf. Some people just might not be able to get into Golf. However... If you can bring yourself to try it, you'll probably fall in love with this game. It's pretty hard not to have a good time with it, once you get the feel of things.

    2. Fifa Soccer - I have not played the newest version of this game, but have heard that it's mostly just a roster update. If that's the case, then forget about Fifa 13 and just find the original one for cheap. This is the best portable soccer game in the history of portable videogaming. PERIOD. Now again, you may have zero interest in playing a soccer game, but if you gave this game a chance you would see that it's oozing with great playability and gameplay. This version is so close to the PS3 version that it's a bit scary. Only negative thing I can say about this game is the lack of ad-hoc support.

    3. Wipeout 2048 - Wipeout is the Vita's graphical and audio tour de force. If you've played Wipeout HD on the PS3, then you'll quickly find your groove with this game. You'll be awed by the amazing visuals and great sound design. The only downside, is that this game is quite hard. Much harder than the PS3 version, at least it seems that way to me. But, this is clearly one of the premier games on Vita. I think it's a must own for anybody that has ever enjoyed a combat racing game.

    4. Rayman Origins - I actually don't own this game personally, but I have played the demo, and have heard from others that say that this game is a dream come true on the Vita. One thing you can tell from the demo is that the playability and control is spot on, and the visuals are breathtaking. I'm pretty sure this is one of the Vita games that run at the native res, and you can tell by how gorgeous this game is. Sure, it's just another port of Rayman Origins, but for anybody that has never played the 360 or PS3 versions, they are in for a huge treat with this portable version.

    5. Super Stardust Delta - For those that enjoyed Super Stardust HD on the PS3, this version is an absolute no brainer. It's very similar to it's big brother PS3 version, but it plays very well on the portable. Well worth every penny of the $9.99 that Sony is charging.

    6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Certainly, this is the game that was made to show off the power of the Vita. It's not identical to the Uncharted games on PS3, but the visuals and sound are pretty close. It's quite a feat for the programmers to get the Vita to come this close to producing a PS3 quality game on the go.

    7. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - I don't own this game, and haven't played a demo (don't think one is available). Everything that I've heard about this game tells me that this game should at least be ranked as the 7th best Vita game. It probably deserves to be ranked much higher... Just go check out some videos for this game, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

    8. Virtua Tennis 4 - Again, I have to admit that I've never actually played this game myself, but from everything I've heard, it's the bee's knees. Yes, it's a sports game. I know there are people that have zero interest in a sports game, much less a tennis game, but I just think it's one of those things where if you actually tried the game, you just might find yourself enjoying it quite a bit. There have been some really good Tennis games over the years, and a portable one could be pretty cool

    9. Little Big Planet Vita - I was in the beta for this game. I could see right away that this is going to be a great Vita game. The user created levels are going to be really cool. So many inventive levels in the beta, I can only imagine how much better it is now that it's available to everybody.

    10. Mortal Kombat - I got this game because GameStop was selling it for only $9.99 at one point. Let me tell you, that was one of the best 10 bucks I've spent. This game is extremely close to the PS3 version. Do the graphics suffer a bit ? Sure, they do. They aren't PS3 perfect, but the game plays very well. It's fast, and fun. The visuals might not be absolutely perfect but all the fun of the console versions made it thru to the Vita version intact.

    11. MLB 12 The Show - I'm not really that big into baseball games, but this is a very good version of this game. This one is very similar to Fifa, in terms of them translating a PS3 game to the Vita, and doing a damn fine job of it. Quite possibly the best portable baseball game ever made. That might not mean too much if you can't stand baseball games, but it's there for those that can appreciate it.

    12. Madden 13 - When the demo first came out for this game, and I tried it out, I thought that the graphics were very impressive, but the game was just way too glitchy. Later, I heard the game got a patch. Then I found out you could get this game on Ebay for about $17 or so. I picked one up, got the patch and I'm happy to say that this game is much better than the demo would have you believe. Probably the best portable football game of all time. Certainly, for those out there that have no interest at all in playing any sports games, then this doesn't really help you out, but for anybody looking for a next-gen football experience on the go, it's here for the taking.

    13. Treasures of Montezuma Blitz - This is one of those freemium games. It's free to play, but you have to pay for extra plays if you run out of turns for that day. I've been playing this thing quite a bit, ever since it's come out. I haven't paid a red cent to Sony for this. I've only used the free plays, and have built up enough jewels to pretty much be able to play as much as I want to. Whenever I turn on my Vita, I will always fire up this game for a few quick plays. It's very addicting, but don't spend any money on it. Just use the free daily plays.


    Honerable Mentions:

    Sound Shapes
    Gravity Rush
    Lumines
    Unit 13
    Resistance: Burning Skies
    ModNation Racers Road Trip
    BlazBlue
    Marvel vs. Capcom

  11. #71
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Dangerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    WCP: Thank you for completely glossing over the 'true exclusives' part of my statement.

    None of those games are exclusives, and in most cases (note *most*) are just hand me downs. Uncharted, while an original / sequel game, has the original 3 that can be played on a system most people all ready own.

    Where are the Professor Laytons, the Phoenix Wrights, the Brain Ages, the Advance Wars - the games that aren't hand me downs from big brother. The ones you would *need* to buy the system to play? That's what Sony is missing, and missing in a bad way.

    Is no one else confused as to how NBA 2K13 was released on PSP and not the Vita? Do you really think 'Smart As..." is the best game for the holiday season? 12 or so games confirmed for release compared to the 3DS' 100 or so? These are the things that need to be looked at.

    I would be surprised if it doesn't just become a pack-in 'controller' for the PS3 and Orbis and Sony just re-invents itself as a Wii U killer.

  12. #72
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,274
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    WCP: Thank you for completely glossing over the 'true exclusives' part of my statement.

    None of those games are exclusives, and in most cases (note *most*) are just hand me downs. Uncharted, while an original / sequel game, has the original 3 that can be played on a system most people all ready own.

    Where are the Professor Laytons, the Phoenix Wrights, the Brain Ages, the Advance Wars - the games that aren't hand me downs from big brother. The ones you would *need* to buy the system to play? That's what Sony is missing, and missing in a bad way.

    Is no one else confused as to how NBA 2K13 was released on PSP and not the Vita? Do you really think 'Smart As..." is the best game for the holiday season? 12 or so games confirmed for release compared to the 3DS' 100 or so? These are the things that need to be looked at.

    I would be surprised if it doesn't just become a pack-in 'controller' for the PS3 and Orbis and Sony just re-invents itself as a Wii U killer.
    In fairness, Brain Age (it was called Big Brain) and Advance Wars both had Wii versions and by your standards, every Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda or other marquee Nintendo game on the 3DS would be a "hand me down" as well. While I agree with you that the Vita library lacks diversity, it does have some fairly niche recent or upcoming titles like Ragnarok Odyssey and DJ Max Technika. While the 3DS may have more scheduled upcoming titles on the docket, it's also starting to get more than its share of shovelware. Even Nintendo is releasing some junk like Crosswords Plus, Freakyforms and Style Savvy. Nintendo also delayed Luigi's Mansion 2, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing until next year. Layton, Paper Mario Sticker Star (which looks pretty lame by the way), Scribblenauts Unlimited and the new Epic Mickey seem to be the only major holiday 3DS releases since Castlevania got pushed.

  13. #73
    Kirby (Level 13) Leo_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,871
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Paper Mario Sticker Star (which looks pretty lame by the way)
    I haven't read or watched videos about it extensively. But everything I have seen has been very reminiscent of the N64 and GCN games (And for a time it was even thought it was going to be a remake of the N64 original). And to many of us including myself that loved the first two entries in the series, that's a positive sign after a disappointing Wii game.

    About all that I've seen that has been changed significantly has been the turn based attacks themselves (Instead of unlimited commands like jump commands, you instead utilize your stickers you've accumulated in your album to attack with). Everything else seems like minor differences (Stickers instead of badges to gain special capabilities) or positive changes like leveling up by accomplishing tasks that enhance your abilities with the appropriate stickers instead of just gaining experience fighting enemies as you go. The only thing I'm not terribly pleased about that I'm aware of is the departure of the partner based system of the earlier games.

    What were your opinions of the first two games? If you enjoyed those, what's wrong with this upcoming game?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-03-2012 at 06:18 PM.

  14. #74
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Posts
    384
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

    Default

    On a side note from everything here.

    I picked up Ragnarok Odyssey the other day and have been playing the hell out of it. Personally I love the game and it is a great addition to my Vita library.

  15. #75
    Banana (Level 7) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    My son has a 3DS XL, and I've played a number of 3DS games on it. I love the hardware of the 3DS XL, and there are certain 3DS game that I really like, but honestly I think the Vita has a much better library of high quality games. I'd say that the 3DS has about 7 or 8 games that are worth playing and I think the Vita has more than that. Sure, they might be ports from other systems, or what have you, but I still think the library is just better.

    Don't get it twisted, I really wish the 3DS had more big games like Luigi's Mansion and stuff like that. Unfortunately, that game is delayed to who knows when. Sure, the 3DS has WAY more games coming out this holiday, but how much of it is just shovelware for a quick buck ? I'd say most of it. The Vita has it's share of crappy games too, but the 3DS has a way larger percentage of it's library as total crap.

  16. #76
    Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Ryudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    506
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

    Default

    I have both 3DS XL and Vita.
    3DS has the better library now. However Gravity Rush sells Vita for me. Also Ys IV is on Vita. PSP is my fave handheld ever. PSP,PSone,PS2,PS3 all took a while to get a decent library. So not worried about it. People who go on the "NO GAMES" thing well that never lasts long. NOt every system has a launch like Dreamcast. Love the Vita. I really like my 3DS but Vita takes up most of my time between the two.

    Also I got my PS3 and Vita within 2 weeks of each other



    Life!? ... What console is that on?

  17. #77
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,610
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    WCP: Thank you for completely glossing over the 'true exclusives' part of my statement.

    None of those games are exclusives, and in most cases (note *most*) are just hand me downs. Uncharted, while an original / sequel game, has the original 3 that can be played on a system most people all ready own.

    Where are the Professor Laytons, the Phoenix Wrights, the Brain Ages, the Advance Wars - the games that aren't hand me downs from big brother. The ones you would *need* to buy the system to play? That's what Sony is missing, and missing in a bad way.
    What's the difference of "playing a sequel on another console," and "playing a sequel on another portable." Playing Uncharted on the PS3, then playing Golden Abyss on the Vita isn't any different than playing Brain Age on the DS and then playing the its sequel on the 3DS. Your argument falls apart because you're bashing the system because, while a unique title, it's a sequel of something on a console, when you're pointing out games that are sequels on other systems, some which aren't even on the 3DS at this time either.

    According to your logic, all the 3DS games I own fall under this same category. Mario Kart 7 is nothing more than a hand me down from not only other consoles, but also other portables. Resident Evil Revelations, same. Resident Evil Mercenaries is as good as a port as they could get on the 3DS, and playing this game will make you wish you were playing the console versions of Mercenaries(it's bad.) Dead or Alive Dimensions is an accumulation of all the Dead or Alive titles on a single game cartridge, so a port. I haven't opened Pilot Wings, but it's on the SNES and the N64, so it's just a shitty port. Tales of the Abyss is a port. Super Mario 3D Land is Mario, and while "okay" I would probably call it a piece of shit if it didn't have Mario graphics. New Super Mario Bros 2 is Mario.

    The only game that escapes the logic you have presented is Heroes of Ruin, which yeah, that shitty Gameloft title is overall a better title, sadly. Heroes of Ruin very little content and the camera is zoomed so far in, that you can't see more than two steps in front of you. Nothing else that's been released has interested me.

    So by your logic, anything good Nintendo makes isn't a true exclusive and isn't worth playing(you know why, they don't do anything but constantly rehash their same franchises,) and currently, everything on the 3DS at this time isn't worth playing since it's not a true exclusive. To me, most of the shit isn't worth playing anyways, with or without your logic. Most of the 3DS games I own felt like such a waste, especially the first party titles.

    Is no one else confused as to how NBA 2K13 was released on PSP and not the Vita?
    Not confused in the least. Everyone knows how lazy 2K is and I'm sure they thought about porting it over to the Vita, but came to the conclusion that since the Vita can play PSP games, why not release the PSP version and be done with it.

    Do you really think 'Smart As..." is the best game for the holiday season? 12 or so games confirmed for release compared to the 3DS' 100 or so? These are the things that need to be looked at.
    The 3DS has been mostly a piece of shit since release. Having more games doesn't mean the system is better. The PSP had barely any games coming out during most of its life, but most titles released were quality. The last relevant game to release on the 3DS was Code of Princess. It's one I have yet to get, but I'm interested in picking it up once it drops in price or I can get it during a sale. Target is doing a buy two get one free sometime(I think it's this week) so I'll probably pick Gravity Rush, Assassin's Creed Liberation, and Code of Princess up then.

    I already picked up Ragnarok Odyssey, so with Liberation, Code of Princess, and a bunch of console games that I'm getting, there's nothing worth getting on both the 3DS or the Vita until next year. For me atleast. The 3DS may have a shit load of games coming out until the end of the year, but what's the difference when it's all shovelware. The 3DS and the Vita to me have no games coming out the rest of the year, because to me, shovelware is the same as no games.

    I would be surprised if it doesn't just become a pack-in 'controller' for the PS3 and Orbis and Sony just re-invents itself as a Wii U killer.
    I've said to some friends I think this should happen. If Sony releases the Vita as a pack in controller for the PS4 and market it like the Wii U is being marketed where the Vita is a tablet controller, not only will people be getting a home console, but they'll also be able to take the Vita with them on the go and play Vita, PSP, PSX, and other digital content. Also, because every PS4 owner would also own a Vita, cross buy would actually push sales a lot more than it's doing now.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-04-2012 at 03:13 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  18. #78
    Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    What's the difference of "playing a sequel on another console," and "playing a sequel on another portable." Playing Uncharted on the PS3, then playing Golden Abyss on the Vita isn't any different than playing Brain Age on the DS and then playing the its sequel on the 3DS. Your argument falls apart because you're bashing the system because, while a unique title, it's a sequel of something on a console, when you're pointing out games that are sequels on other systems, some which aren't even on the 3DS at this time either.

    According to your logic, all the 3DS games I own fall under this same category. Mario Kart 7 is nothing more than a hand me down from not only other consoles, but also other portables. Resident Evil Revelations, same. Resident Evil Mercenaries is as good as a port as they could get on the 3DS, and playing this game will make you wish you were playing the console versions of Mercenaries(it's bad.) Dead or Alive Dimensions is an accumulation of all the Dead or Alive titles on a single game cartridge, so a port. I haven't opened Pilot Wings, but it's on the SNES and the N64, so it's just a shitty port. Tales of the Abyss is a port. Super Mario 3D Land is Mario, and while "okay" I would probably call it a piece of shit if it didn't have Mario graphics. New Super Mario Bros 2 is Mario.
    The hand me down quote is dead on for a lot of the Vita. The simple fact of it is that it comes down to whether or not you'd want to play a game like Uncharted GA on a console, and really, I wouldn't. The same for Resistance. It's not because they're lacking the console quality of scale, they're lacking in basic fundamentals when they TRY to emulate their console brethren. Those two games in particular have their moments here and there, but are quite static and lack the fluidity needed to sell them conceptually.

    They're not bad games, just sub-par ones, and for some reasons, people are expected to make exceptions because it's a portable. I could go back and play Game Boy titles I would love to have on the NES, Game Gear titles I would play on the Genesis, and GBA titles I would kill for on say, the SNES. The GBA provides a number of great examples of trying too hard to mimic consoles too though. A lot of the 3D titles (Driver) never should have been on the GBA. Those games were made for the sake of the tech, not because it benefited gameplay.

    The Vita can work as a piece of tech. I can look back on the God of War PSP titles and say, "Damn, THAT'S how you do it." Syphon Filters? Great. That's how it's done, but unfortunately, most of the Vita exclusives based on key franchises are more concerned with existing than providing quality gameplay.

  19. #79
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,610
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

    Default

    They're not bad games, just sub-par ones, and for some reasons, people are expected to make exceptions because it's a portable.
    We must have played a different Uncharted Golden Abyss then, because outside of some forced touch screen functionalities, it was a good game. A good game is a good game. Doesn't matter what system it's on. If Uncharted Golden Abyss was the exact same thing without the touch functions and the worse graphics, and on the PS3, it'd still be a good game. It's quite obvious if you compare it to Uncharted 2 and 3 it's not going to be as good, but very few games are of that quality. Uncharted Golden Abyss is a better game than the original Uncharted, which is better than most single player shooting games released this gen, so I'm fine with it.

    Wipeout 2048 isn't only an amazing game, it's, in my opinion, the best Wipeout game. Good job for a hand me down if I say so myself. Or maybe I'm just making exceptions for it because it's a portable game. That has to be it. There's no way a portable game can be better than its console counterpart, even though it's exclusive content alone makes it the better title, and then it's got all of the content from HD as DLC. It's surely the worse game.

    Little Big Planet. The single player on this title is just as good as LBP2 and for the most part, the multiplayer functionalities are the same. I say for the most part not because the Vita version is lacking, but because LBP2 is lacking. There have been many new options added. There are the Vita specific controls schemes that can now be implemented, but are also new features, such as being able to allow someone to save their game and continue from their save at a later time. The Vita version also allows players to download any game to play at a later time(it's still not editable unless allowed by the owner.) So you can download your favorite LBP Vita stages and play them anywhere, both offline and online. Damn you hand me down LBP Vita for being such a great game! Damn you!!!!!
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  20. #80
    Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    We must have played a different Uncharted Golden Abyss then, because outside of some forced touch screen functionalities, it was a good game. A good game is a good game. Doesn't matter what system it's on. If Uncharted Golden Abyss was the exact same thing without the touch functions and the worse graphics, and on the PS3, it'd still be a good game. It's quite obvious if you compare it to Uncharted 2 and 3 it's not going to be as good, but very few games are of that quality. Uncharted Golden Abyss is a better game than the original Uncharted, which is better than most single player shooting games released this gen, so I'm fine with it.

    Wipeout 2048 isn't only an amazing game, it's, in my opinion, the best Wipeout game. Good job for a hand me down if I say so myself. Or maybe I'm just making exceptions for it because it's a portable game. That has to be it. There's no way a portable game can be better than its console counterpart, even though it's exclusive content alone makes it the better title, and then it's got all of the content from HD as DLC. It's surely the worse game.

    Little Big Planet. The single player on this title is just as good as LBP2 and for the most part, the multiplayer functionalities are the same. I say for the most part not because the Vita version is lacking, but because LBP2 is lacking. There have been many new options added. There are the Vita specific controls schemes that can now be implemented, but are also new features, such as being able to allow someone to save their game and continue from their save at a later time. The Vita version also allows players to download any game to play at a later time(it's still not editable unless allowed by the owner.) So you can download your favorite LBP Vita stages and play them anywhere, both offline and online. Damn you hand me down LBP Vita for being such a great game! Damn you!!!!!
    Golden Abyss was a mess because it was shoehorned onto the console at launch and forced to utilize every feature. Pacing was poor, gunplay was sloppy, and intrusions for touch screen shenanigans were a waste of time. As impressive as it was technically, it was blase, and I would NOT have been happy to play it on a console just like I wasn't on a portable.

    I never said a portable game couldn't be better than a console game, or even a great game. I said the Vita doesn't have any that are because they're forced into an odd corner of dev budget vs. low potential sales vs. hardware strength. Wipeout IS fantastic, but again, hit with technical hurdles it can't overcome. Variety isn't there for budgetary & space concerns. You can count the number of course textures on one hand sometimes, where the PS3 explodes into an array of colors, saturation, and depth. It's striking on the small screen, but again, you can't just look at that and ignore the rest. The PS3 version was what, $15? Sony wanted $40 at launch for the Vita Wipeout. It's not even close from a consumer perspective.

    Early portable games worked because they were allowed to be different by the nature of limited hardware, and thus came expectations. The Vita comes in and wants to play with the big guns, and all it's done is make the flubs more apparent. Given lackluster sales and budgets that will never come up to the level they need to be, it's an awkward unit. Mine is played here and there, but it feels like a stop gap towards better hardware.

    Edit: Thought of another way to put it. It's no different than other console launches. We're all wowed by what the console can without considering if it's doing it WELL. Resistance is sort of like, "Wow, a FPS with two sticks on a portable! Awesome!" Considering that it plays like something from 2003 never really registers until the hype dies down.
    Last edited by Gamereviewgod; 11-04-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 01:30 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2012, 09:05 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 09:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •