Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assassin's Creed 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Assassin's Creed 3

Anyone playing? I caved and picked it up on release day, first release pickup for me in a long while.

So far, seems to start out pretty slow, but I honestly don't mind. First couple hours are on autopilot, similar to Skyward Sword. Some people may consider this a flaw, but seems engaging enough to keep my interest at least.

So far I finished the first 3 sequences and it seems okay. About 8/10 so far, but this is only based on about 4-5 hours of gameplay too. Seems like I'm barely scratching the surface in terms of what to do. Hoping it opens up a bit more... anyone else playing?
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got mine on release date also but it is still sitting on my shelf shrink wrapped. I hope to get to it this weekend. Just not enough time. Will follow up when I get some playing time.

For the record this absolutely ticks me off... Why oh WHY does Gamestop deem in necessary to have their name printed on the cover art of their pre-ordered games? For this reason I'll never pre order again. I don't want Gamestops f'n name on my games! Especially when you dish out $60.00 for them! All they need to do is put a sticker on the game. I'm cool with that. But no... So I'll be getting another copy without Gamestop's name printed on the cover. Shame on the developers for allowing Gamestop to do this in the first place.

Example:
    http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/gam...-edition/99633

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yago View Post
    Got mine on release date also but it is still sitting on my shelf shrink wrapped. I hope to get to it this weekend. Just not enough time. Will follow up when I get some playing time.

For the record this absolutely ticks me off... Why oh WHY does Gamestop deem in necessary to have their name printed on the cover art of their pre-ordered games? For this reason I'll never pre order again. I don't want Gamestops f'n name on my games! Especially when you dish out $60.00 for them! All they need to do is put a sticker on the game. I'm cool with that. But no... So I'll be getting another copy without Gamestop's name printed on the cover. Shame on the developers for allowing Gamestop to do this in the first place.

Example:
    I actually think from the collector's perspective it's neat to have cover variants. Assuming you keep all your games like I do, having the names of chains and other retailers that might be gone 30 years from now just makes it cooler IMHO. Kind of like old price stickers on cartridge games or something along those lines. I was super disappointed when I got the GovX Edition of MoH last week and all it had was a tiny sticker on the shrinkwrap identifying that I could download some camo pattern and something else as DLC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yago View Post

Example:
    It's not just Gamestop... I purchased mine from Wal-Mart and it has a Wal-Mart banner printed on the cover too. I don't really mind either way though.

This game really opens up at sequence 6, wish I had more time to play it. Great so far!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game looks awesome, and listening to the Giant Bombcast's segment about it made me want to get it...but I'm still in the middle of Brotherhood. I guess I'll probably wait till it's $20.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get what you guys are saying about cover variants. That makes sense. Just not what I'm into. The same reason i won't ever get a "Player's Choice" or "Platinum Hits" game. I like original releases with clean covers.

My copy is still shrink wrapped. I really wanted to play this weekend but had to work most of the weekend plus a bunch of other things going on. Getting more pumped up to play now.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I just got this a few days ago and so far im liking it, not loving it but its a fun game so far. The setting and action are cool but the overarching Animus/end of the world plot is really silly and takes me out of the experience more then I would care to. I really feel like this series would be better without it..but whatever. I think I'm in segment? 3 or 4 now and this tutorial like section of the game is really dragging on at this point, I get why they did it but its getting tiresome now. Also the 3D is really fun to use with this one, provides a great subtle feeling of depth that you quickly adjust to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finished it off last night, pretty disappointed. I'd give it about a 7.5/10, regret paying $60 for it, that's for sure.

The beginning of the game feels like a 5 hour tutorial of sorts. Builds the story well, but really limits what you can do.

Bugs are everywhere in the game too. Not just graphical clipping, but dumb AI mistakes and actual unfixable glitches. For example, I had a convoy that was "Attacked", and I was never able to use this slot for the rest of the game. If I was going for 100% completion, that would severely affect my in-game cash flow.

Story... who knows what's going on. The future / Desmond stuff is completely annoying. The Connor story flows well, but even the ending on that is cliche. No epic boss battles that you'd expect.

It was fun to play at points, but has no lasting appeal on me. I got my 20ish hours out of it, and will never touch it again.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

This is my first Assassin's Creed game and while I was never interested in the series, this one is the one that got me interested. My sentiments are unfortunately the same as those of jonebone. I haven't beaten the game yet, but I'm 13 hours into it and doing both sidequests and storyline, but here are the problems in the game that I've discovered or what I don't really like about the game.

Like jonebone first mentioned how his convoy was attacked and he hasn't been able to do trade the rest of the game. The same has happened with me. After I was initially able to use the convoy, I went back to it one more time. After using it, I played one of the shitty mini games with Achilles(the checkers mini game is bullshit, will explain next paragraph.) So I was playing this mini game in full screen one time right after sending my second convoy out. Once I lost the game, as usual(only won once, and after that didn't play again,) it showed my convoy has been attacked and destroyed because you failed to protect it at the top left of the screen. It couldn't tell me that my convoy was attacked while I was playing the fucking mini game?

So, the checkers game is bullshit. Even after you get how to play it. After you get down to a certain number of pieces, the person youre playing against can play where it's impossible for you to win, even if you have double his pieces. Three pieces is enough to make it a draw, reason for this is that there's no way to force him to take a piece of yours and also allow yourself to take a piece of his afterwards. If you set it up that way, then once he takes your first piece, he can move and take that piece also(or jump the other direction and still take your one piece.) So the only possible way to win is move your pieces as close in as you can and keep moving one back and forth, don't accept the draw and eventually the computer will move one of his pieces forward for you to take it.

There's another mini game that's bullshit as well. One where you place pieces and take one of the opponents pieces when you have three in a row. But once the opponent gets three pieces, flying mode where he can place his piece anywhere instead of one space at a time, the opponent always rapes. I haven't won this one.

I really like open world games and though I would have liked this one the most because of everything they were showing on the previews. The Frontier portions, what I thought was going to be the coolest part, is just so boring. The Frontier aside from the randomly generated animals that are few and far between is so boring and lifeless. It's cool at first, but it's one of the areas that I want to get out of as soon as possible. Tne only areas that are enjoyable to traverse, well, area, is Boston.

The combat is good, but until you go through the five hour tutorial like jonebone mentioned, it's not that great. It would have been better if they gave you a quick crash course of everything all at once but they felt the need to try and work it into the gameplay. The game doesn't really even pick up until after that five hours. It's enjoyable when playing as the main characters father, because you have most of the basic gameplay.

It's a good game, but definitely not as great as I thought it was going to be.

*edit*

To anyone who has played more Assassin's Creed games and found this one disappointing. Were the Ezio titles more enjoyable? I'm sure if I enjoyed messing around in Boston but not anywhere else, then I would like atleast the towns in those games since there's no frontier-like area right? Are the mechanics better? Etc?
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-08-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Finished it off last night, pretty disappointed. I'd give it about a 7.5/10, regret paying $60 for it, that's for sure.

The beginning of the game feels like a 5 hour tutorial of sorts. Builds the story well, but really limits what you can do.

Bugs are everywhere in the game too. Not just graphical clipping, but dumb AI mistakes and actual unfixable glitches. For example, I had a convoy that was "Attacked", and I was never able to use this slot for the rest of the game. If I was going for 100% completion, that would severely affect my in-game cash flow.

Story... who knows what's going on. The future / Desmond stuff is completely annoying. The Connor story flows well, but even the ending on that is cliche. No epic boss battles that you'd expect.

It was fun to play at points, but has no lasting appeal on me. I got my 20ish hours out of it, and will never touch it again.
    *reads criticisms*

Graphical and control bugs, stupid AI, strange story, weak boss fights, boring bits .... so, it's an Assassin's Creed game then.

I'm about 10% in on this one and while I don't think it's any spectacular leap in quality over the previous ones, I think it's certainly as good and I really really really dig the change of setting and protagonists. I was so sick of The Middle East and Europe and unlike pretty much everybody else I just didn't like Ezio Auditore. (I actually liked Altair's character better, again, I know I'm in the minority there.)

I think the free-running is a BIT less "clippy" than AC 1 and 2.

So far I'm enjoying it and I haven't tried the online modes (my modem is pretty much fucked from brown outs from hurricane Sandy, Time Warner needs to come replace it next week) and I haven't even gotten to the Naval Battles yet (looking forward to those).

Overall I think it's shaping up to be one of the better AC games.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm about 30% in and all of the typical Assassin's Creed niggles aside (this entry in the series is NO great technical advancement in play mechanics, it's still buggy as shit where the free-running and AI is concerned) I'm still really loving Connor's story.

Helps that I find this period in time pretty fascinating.

The naval missions and treasure hunt related stuff are the absolute high points IMO, and considering those are the new play entries to the series I think that Ubisoft hit it out of the park, but what we NEED to see here next is ONLINE MULTIPLAYER naval battles.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I finished the game, and overall, I think the game is an overrated piece of shit. How the hell did this game get so many high ratings? So about half way through the game I started to do a couple sidequests and quickly got bored, since all the main missions seemed to be short though and the storyline is pretty good, I decided to just force myself through the rest of the game.

The biggest problem with this game is that through all of the main quests, it feels that you as the player has very little control. Most missions that you take, even though this is an open world game, you really only have one way to do a mission. These same missions you are guaranteed to fail, and then you memorize what has to be done and you'll end up completing it. It's just such a poorly done mission structure. One has you chasing a group of enemies before the get to a certain point, but one of the bonus' is to catch them before time runs out, well, the first time I played the mission, time ran out and I didn't get the bonus, but then a little bit after the enemy reached his destination. I retried the mission and the enemy reached the destination with more than 30 seconds left on the bonus timer. The reason that this is is that once you reach a certain part, that's when the enemies start moving, so after you get past those and get to the final enemy they're already moving at the exact same location. So whether you made it there in one minute or one hour, the enemies wouldn't start moving until you actually see them. It's like they tried to make a cinematic game, but they left out one thing. The fun. Gameplay during these story missions were nothing more than a chore to reach the next story part.

The ship missions were a nice change of pace, then you play the second one much later on and it quickly becomes boring because of how repetitive these are and painfully slow paced. Thankfully there are only three of these in the entire game.

The sidequests are some of the worst I've experienced in an open world game. You may as well call most sidequests nothing more than a collectable and not really a side quest at all. You either have to collect pages from years of almanacs, collect treasure boxes that are all around, collect feathers, deliver letters to required characters, etc. There's also assassinate a target that is just a dot on the map and doesn't move until you get to him, and on these all you do is stab him in the back and walk off. Same with the liberate ones, which there are three. Either two enemies poking at people with their guns, you kill them, a guy riding off on a horse, you kill him, or someone in the stocks, and you free him. There are a lot of the liberate ones and they are always one of those three. All of these shitty side quests have one thing in common. You do nothing more than go to one location to complete the side quest. There are some homestead side quests that require you to actually kill a group of people and rescue other people and taking over the forts require you to sneak inside, or get caught and run inside killing everyone, kill the leader, then switch the flag.

In short. Most of the side quests sucked total ass.

There were four areas in the game. New York, Boston, Frontier, and I forget the exact name of the other place, but another Frontier like woodland area. Your first area you get to is Boston, not until much later in the game you arrive in New York. I couldn't tell a damn difference. The buildings all looked the same, had the same generic crates along the sides, etc. Without actually going back and forth to Boston and New York, I wouldn't doubt that the buildings were all cut and paste. Many of the Boston buildings were. Three of the places you synchronize were churches, all of them exactly the same as the other. The Frontier and the other location like it was empty. There were animals that ran around, and maybe it was too common. Every two seconds I'd see another deer or Elk. There was literally nothing to do in these areas other than fetch quests I mentioned. It was even more boring doing these ones because there were only certain locations that you always had to get on a tree, or hop from a tree onto a mountain you couldn't get to any other way and by some chance it's the only mountain the damn game you can't grab onto what looks like could be climbable.

The final thing is the graphics. Now at first you might think they look good, but every building uses the same textures, the same rooftops, all the same shit. Once you get to the forest and are in there for atleast 30 minutes you notice the trees have no depth. The trees, the plants, etc, all flat. They're like that in a lot of games, but they just stick out and are very noticeable in this game. Aside from the snow which the textures are kind of nice the textures are all crap. If there is light snow on the ground that you walk over, or literally any ground at all, you don't leave any footprints. The only time there is a visible change that you've been there is if it's deep snow that you trudge through, but the left over graphic repeats unlike Uncharted 2 which was dynamic. The last thing about the graphics is what everyone hates. Pop in. This game has a massive amount of pop in everywhere. In the towns, forests, whatever. Forza Horizon is a racing game and they handled pop in amazingly well, almost unnoticeable. With textures and graphics much worse than on Skyrim, the pop in could have atleast been at a minimum.

It's a beautiful game. A beautiful game with shitty graphics. Sadly, it's going to win a shit ton of graphics of the year awards.

Here's a comparison to Oblivion's and Skyrim's trees. Even a 2006 game has better landscapes than this.

Larger version of the pictures here.

http://binarymessiah.files.wordpress...2/11/ac3-4.jpg
    http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/...tatue-Head.jpg
    http://www.tweakguides.com/images/Oblivion_18b.jpg

Now that I completely picked the game apart and talked about what I thought was bad about the game. I liked what little storyline the game had. Just the parts with Connor and his Dad. The storyline they forced down your throat with what's his name sucked.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I finished the game, and overall, I think the game is an overrated piece of shit. How the hell did this game get so many high ratings?
    I think your problem in perspective is that this is your first experience with the franchise. Most critics have played through all four or five Assassin's Creed games that preceded this one, and they know what to expect in terms of flaws/limitations.

The criticisms you have about the game can be applied to practically every entry in the series. They're woefully imperfect, but to many, compelling stories that inspire playing through and/or wanting more.

Also, the "competionists" who love completing side quests and finding every rare treasure blip on an over-world map are always kept busy.

The game mechanics have changed/evolved a bit with every entry in the series, but there's never been any radical overhaul, much like the GTA games, if you play 3, skip Vice City, San Andreas, and the PSP games and then only play 4 you'll still find a level of familiarity in the mechanics. The game has gotten more complex, but ultimately it's still the same formula.

So, no. Diving into Assassin's Creed 3 (or any game in the series) is no guarantee to produce a love affair with the series.

It's a series that's rough around the edges in terms of graphics and play control but it has a legion of now annual buyers that would probably be upset if things got too different.

I'm about halfway in and I think that for an Assassin's Creed game, it's very good, but it's STILL JUST an Assassin's Creed game. No reinvention or radical overhaul here. If you LOVE the series there's good stuff in this one, if you don't love it I don't think 3 will change anybody's mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seems there's some people who have had various time with the AC series in the middle or from the first.

I only did around a quarter of the original and all the problems just disgusted me enough to sell it off. The camera was a problem, overly touchy soldiers, a heap of annoying backtracking, lots of obtuse or annoying unnecessary side stuff, it just confused and convoluted a bunch of things of which started out as an alright ride.

I've read in the last week or so that the sequel cleaned up some of the complaints of the original and titles since then have cleaned up other issues people complained about.

That said, how is AC3 exactly? I'm thinking it maybe worth it to try again ont he WiiU, but honestly the whole revolutionary war part is really what's getting my attention on it as that's pretty much virgin territory in gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Seems there's some people who have had various time with the AC series in the middle or from the first.

I only did around a quarter of the original and all the problems just disgusted me enough to sell it off. The camera was a problem, overly touchy soldiers, a heap of annoying backtracking, lots of obtuse or annoying unnecessary side stuff, it just confused and convoluted a bunch of things of which started out as an alright ride.

I've read in the last week or so that the sequel cleaned up some of the complaints of the original and titles since then have cleaned up other issues people complained about.

That said, how is AC3 exactly? I'm thinking it maybe worth it to try again ont he WiiU, but honestly the whole revolutionary war part is really what's getting my attention on it as that's pretty much virgin territory in gaming.
    For all of UBISoft's promises and the hype of the gameplay mechanics being "fixed" from AC 1 to AC 3, I don't believe that it has changed tremendously.

The combat system has been simplified to a degree, yet, even where those changes are evident, 1 vs. 10 type conflicts feel about the same as they did in AC 1 and 2.

Free-running is a BIT better in AC 3 with less instances of getting hung up/stuck on environmental things, but it still happens. You'll still find yourself desperately trying to run from point A to point B for whatever reason and you accidentally jump onto a ledge or turn a corner that you didn't intend to or slam up against an un-scaleable surface that stops you dead in your tracks after a scampering animation that goes nowhere.

Overall if you stopped in the middle of AC 1 you'll find this entry to be WAY more robust in terms of "stuff to do", but technically/mechanically it's still buggy in spots.

Personally, I love the setting and the characters in this entry and I think that the naval sections are amazing/totally worth the price of entry, however I also won't fault anybody for railing on the game as a whole. It's still a beautifully imperfect thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've only played 20-30 minutes of this and watched a bunch of cutscenes and walked around a little. Hardly a game so far. If this were a movie I'd have turned it off already. I'll give it a bit more of a chance, but I'm not impressed.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen more commercials for a single game. Talk about advertising...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Frankie appreciate it, now I have thinking to do. I'll get Mario and ME3 for now, maybe that and zombi later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Frankie appreciate it, now I have thinking to do. I'll get Mario and ME3 for now, maybe that and zombi later.
    You could find a Redbox that rents games.

They have AC 3 listed as inventoried in the machines.

http://www.redbox.com/games

Though if you do and you want to get the most out of the rental fee, be committed to put a few solid hours in to get past all the tutorial stuff.

If you're renting for the sake of getting a feel for the core game I'd say don't mess around with any optional side-quests. Go for the main exclamation missions only. You're set to make a decision after completing the first few Naval missions. Things don't seem to get much more complex after that. (At least not what I've encountered.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

The final thing is the graphics. Now at first you might think they look good, but every building uses the same textures, the same rooftops, all the same shit. Once you get to the forest and are in there for atleast 30 minutes you notice the trees have no depth. The trees, the plants, etc, all flat. They're like that in a lot of games, but they just stick out and are very noticeable in this game. Aside from the snow which the textures are kind of nice the textures are all crap. If there is light snow on the ground that you walk over, or literally any ground at all, you don't leave any footprints. The only time there is a visible change that you've been there is if it's deep snow that you trudge through, but the left over graphic repeats unlike Uncharted 2 which was dynamic. The last thing about the graphics is what everyone hates. Pop in. This game has a massive amount of pop in everywhere. In the towns, forests, whatever. Forza Horizon is a racing game and they handled pop in amazingly well, almost unnoticeable. With textures and graphics much worse than on Skyrim, the pop in could have atleast been at a minimum.

It's a beautiful game. A beautiful game with shitty graphics. Sadly, it's going to win a shit ton of graphics of the year awards.
    So glad I got this for PC and not my PS3 or 360. The graphics are insane so far (although I have not really been out of Boston). I haven't gotten to deep into the game, but since I am from Massachusetts, running around colonial Boston has been so cool. Can't really comment on the overall story just yet, but I am intrigued (I have played AC 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations before, which I liked the stories of).

I Have my PC set on pretty high settings (although on the highest the game only runs at 30FPS, so I knocked them down a little on a few things). Anyway, I took a screenshot in Steam on the boat ride over, and uploaded it to TinyPic. Maybe I am just easily impressed, but I must think that the console version doesn't look this good? I have not had ANY pop in, but my graphics card has 2GB of memory.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2w7fwaa.jpg