Thread: japan region ps2 games on early american ps3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default japan region ps2 games on early american ps3

Hello,

I have an 80 gig ps3 thats backwards compatible. I came across this and wondered if any one can confirm.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6746595_play...s-ps2-ps3.html

There are a couple ps1 and ps2 titles only released in japan i would love to play!!!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Uh, no. The PS2 games are region locked. PS3 games aren't. Play all region PS3 games to your hearts content on any PS3. You're not playing ANY Japanese PS2 games on them. I think the person who wrote it confused backwards compatibility with region locked stuff.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Stu is correct. No PS1 or PS2 imports will play on a backwards compatible PS3.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Actually there is a way. Now. This video is actually about how to play burned PS2 games on the PS3, but seeing that burned games aren't normally going to be playable, I'd assume you can play legit copies the same way even if they're different region format.

You could always take off the top of your PS3 to uncover where the disc is located. I've never done this myself, but according to this Youtube video, you need to have a larger sized game than the one that you want to play, and it has to be the correct format. So for PS2, God of War 2. Insert God of War 2, then take off the magnet to make the game stop spinning, take the game out from the top, rather than hitting the eject button so the PS3 thinks the game is still in there, then insert the game of choice and place the magnet on, waiting for it to start spinning, then choose the Playstation 2 option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV0ZeO4LPqU
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Actually there is a way. Now. This video is actually about how to play burned PS2 games on the PS3, but seeing that burned games aren't normally going to be playable, I'd assume you can play legit copies the same way even if they're different region format.

You could always take off the top of your PS3 to uncover where the disc is located. I've never done this myself, but according to this Youtube video, you need to have a larger sized game than the one that you want to play, and it has to be the correct format. So for PS2, God of War 2. Insert God of War 2, then take off the magnet to make the game stop spinning, take the game out from the top, rather than hitting the eject button so the PS3 thinks the game is still in there, then insert the game of choice and place the magnet on, waiting for it to start spinning, then choose the Playstation 2 option.

that might work with the new top loading super slims but then again they're not backward compatible with ps2 games, might work on ps1 games tho
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Can't you do it with CFW? My PS3 isn't PS2 compatible, so I never really looked into the matter but you can do it with PSX games, though there are some issues with the memory card manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a launch 60gig PS3 and my ps2 imports and ps1 imports would not boot,it was expected.

As of now the only way to have a true region free PS3 would to acquire a Test/Debug PS3 60gig version as it can play any region/backup ps2 and ps1 games.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

This might be the craziest and dumbest thing I have ever heard someone do, just to play Puchi Puchi Under Age Idol MAX.

OP, buy a Goddamn JP PS2. It'll cost you a hundred bucks or so, but it'll play your imports and you won't have to do insane things that put your PS3 in jeopardy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys... you saved me some cash and fustration. I almost went wild on ebay!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    This might be the craziest and dumbest thing I have ever heard someone do, just to play Puchi Puchi Under Age Idol MAX.

OP, buy a Goddamn JP PS2. It'll cost you a hundred bucks or so, but it'll play your imports and you won't have to do insane things that put your PS3 in jeopardy.

Meh... if mys ps3 did it without the extra steps i could justify a few foreign titles. Im not about to try to find and buy a jps2 just to play darkstalkers collection!
    Last edited by hellraiser; 11-01-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys... you saved me some cash and fustration. I almost went wild on ebay!