Thread: Boxed systems without internal foam or trays

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Boxed systems without internal foam or trays

Just a curiosity thing, but I'm curious. So, I inherited a great many of my systems with boxes from another collector. At the time, he lacked any sort of space and broke down the boxes to flat-store them. To do so, he ditched the styrofoam.

How badly do you think this affects the value of the systems? (We're talking about Genesis, SegaCD, SNES, NES, etc. Nothing older than that)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparf View Post
    Just a curiosity thing, but I'm curious. So, I inherited a great many of my systems with boxes from another collector. At the time, he lacked any sort of space and broke down the boxes to flat-store them. To do so, he ditched the styrofoam.

How badly do you think this affects the value of the systems? (We're talking about Genesis, SegaCD, SNES, NES, etc. Nothing older than that)
    The boxes can only be used for display now, you can't use them to store a complete console properly. They've lost value by having the styrofoam thrown out, I'm not sure how much of a difference in price that difference is though. The value on boxes and packaging has gone up since I've had to deal with spare console boxes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a hard one, in my opinion a lot of the people who collect boxed stuff seem to either want it fully complete for collection purposes, or just the box for display only. There's not really a lot of middle ground from what I've noticed.

If it's common stuff like Genesis/SNES I'd just sell them the boxes with the systems, if it's something like a Duo you could try separating it though. The US TurboGrafx/Duo market is stupid expensive these days so much so that some cardboard can be worth more than the system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I'm not looking to sell. I'm just trying to accurately determine value on some things and was curious what opinions were.

My 3DO, NES Action Set, one of my Jaguars and one of my TG-16's are still in boxes with foam since I don't drag them out to use them often. In their plastic bags, even. Maybe a bad idea to keep them stored in there like that?