View Poll Results: Which would you purchase?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • PS4

8 80.00%
  • Xbox 720

2 20.00%

Thread: If the rumors where true PS4 or the Xbox 720

Insert Coin (Level 0) dchristie74's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default If the rumors where true PS4 or the Xbox 720

If the consoles wars where to start up next December would you purchase?

www.thevideogamecollector.com
    Last edited by dchristie74; 11-02-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anybody making a decision before they have seen what both companies have to offer is kinda being foolish if you ask me. I listen to quite a few gaming podcasts, and in a number of them, I get the impression that a bunch of the guys on these podcasts plan to buy a Xbox simply because all their friends had a 360 in the most recent cycle, and they figure they might as well stick with Xbox. To me, it seems like we should see what both companies have to offer, and then make a decision. It's certainly possible that both companies won't be ready next year, so it might not be a situation of coke vs. pepsi next November. We might only have one of them next November, and the other guy might be a year late. (seems the odds are that Microsoft will strike first)

Not only do I need to make a decision between MS or Sony, but I also have to consider whether I should just upgrade my gaming PC, and forget the new consoles altogether... There is also the strategy of sitting on the sidelines, since I already have an unbelievable backlog of games to wade thru before I really need anything new.

I can tell you one thing, the Wii U isn't very tempting to me at all. If they had an amazing Super Mario Galaxy game in HD, it might be a different story, but nothing coming to the Wii U in the near term interests me in the least. I know with Sony and MS, they will have at least one killer app that will make people feel like the Next-Gen has truly arrived. If Bethesda has a next-gen Fallout, I probably won't be able to contain myself, lol.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Generally speaking I wait until I see the games each system has, and I'll more than likely still do that before making a final decisions, but I'm slanted towards whatever Sony is peddling. They've been good to me since the PS1, I've been gradually moving away from Nintendo since the N64 and every Microsoft console ended up sounding and running like a broken down car within a few months.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Since we know nothing about either system, I can't make an intelligent choice. I'm also highly resistant to gambling, so I'll happily wait until we know more before deciding where to spend my money.

Remember folks: blind adherence to a corporate-mandated lifestyle is just about the saddest thing you can do to yourself! Thanks for playing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

With nothing to go on, I'll take the WiiU. Seriously, if I had to PS4 as MS has never focused in the genres I like enough nor will I pay for online service too to gain full access to a game I paid for. Both though undoubtedly going by history will ask more than they should so it wouldn't be an immediate purchase, probably a year or two down the line.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Based solely on this current generation; I would say hands down Xbox720. Of course depending on what they actually are like and not previous experiences; that might change. But hypothetically speaking; I would say MS's next console. Mostly because even with the hardware issues and whatnot; I have had far more fun with my 360 than either the PS3 or the Wii.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default WTF

I have always loved stupid threads like this

Gaming has now a very strong social factor in gaming communities and the decision to buy a console is genuinely based on what console you had this generation and what console your friends had; Xbox gamers have a very strong online community and after 2 consoles, you pretty much know what to expect of their next gen console.

Playstation, in my opinion, has a broder market and has a richer and more varied games. I do care about only gaming but not as much as having a huge library to choose from, and Playstation has always been great in offering those type of games, for example Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, etc.

Even if my decision is blind, I'll go for PS4 without hesitating
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only new system I am "for sure" buying is the Wii U. That is because I got to try it and love the way the new control pad controller is used for co-op games. Nintendo does make some great games.

I am pretty pissed at MS and the 360 breaking every time is gets warm. I cant support a company that doesnt build quality products. Why should I buy 50 games for a system that doesnt run longer than 18 months without breaking. The PS4 might be on my radar, but only if the Wii U doesnt have big 3rd party support.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Being a Sony fanboy, I'm going to get the next Playstation regardless, but I'm also going to get the Wii U.

Yes, we don't know the specs, but does anyone really care? Just about every single game is going to be on whichever system you own and it's all about the exclusives. We already know what exclusives to expect from Nintendo, and not owning a Wii, I need a way to play my Wii games. Sony has had a lot of great exclusives on all their systems.

The thing against the 720 is Microsoft's standard for online play. I'm not going to pay to play online for just a couple games when the other consoles and PC are free to play online. I couldn't give two shits about Halo 4, but Forza Horizon is going to be amazing. When I get it, though, I'll never play the game online. Requiring Xbox Live Gold to play online is bullshit. So it needs to get exclusives or I'm not getting it, because it won't be my go to system for multiconsole titles.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

90% of the games I want are on both consoles this generation. Im hoping the next generation the consoles have more distinct differences in their libraries.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I still have no idea, but here are my requirements.

Must be able to play used games without an additional fee.
    Must double as an all around entertainment device. Blu-ray for example.

Bonuses would be backward comptibility, exclusives, and ability to be modded.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Anybody making a decision before they have seen what both companies have to offer is kinda being foolish if you ask me. I listen to quite a few gaming podcasts, and in a number of them, I get the impression that a bunch of the guys on these podcasts plan to buy a Xbox simply because all their friends had a 360 in the most recent cycle, and they figure they might as well stick with Xbox. To me, it seems like we should see what both companies have to offer, and then make a decision. It's certainly possible that both companies won't be ready next year, so it might not be a situation of coke vs. pepsi next November. We might only have one of them next November, and the other guy might be a year late. (seems the odds are that Microsoft will strike first)

Not only do I need to make a decision between MS or Sony, but I also have to consider whether I should just upgrade my gaming PC, and forget the new consoles altogether... There is also the strategy of sitting on the sidelines, since I already have an unbelievable backlog of games to wade thru before I really need anything new.

I can tell you one thing, the Wii U isn't very tempting to me at all. If they had an amazing Super Mario Galaxy game in HD, it might be a different story, but nothing coming to the Wii U in the near term interests me in the least. I know with Sony and MS, they will have at least one killer app that will make people feel like the Next-Gen has truly arrived. If Bethesda has a next-gen Fallout, I probably won't be able to contain myself, lol.

if you own a xbox 360 now or enjoy the xbox exclusives, you're buying the new xbox, if you own a ps3 or enjoy its exclusives, you're buying a ps4, its that simple

i dont need to be foolish to know i have a shitload of games and dlc tied to my psn account and dont want to see it gone next generation by switching over, theres also the matter of having my friends already on my psn account so its less hassle all the way around
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Both. Just like the past generation, there are simply too many great exclusives on both platforms to limit my gaming to just one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think everybody should just assume that gaming online on the PS4 is going to be free. Sure, Sony did it with the PS3, but once you give somebody something for free, then you're stuck and can no longer charge for it. That's why they have to give away all these free games for the PS+ deal. With the arrival of the PS4, Sony could change their model and go with a Xbox Live type pay service just to play online. I'm not saying that it's going to happen, but it wouldn't totally shock me if it did. If Sony does offer free online play with the PS4, then there is always the possibiltiy that Microsft would have to match it and give Live away for free. Again, probably an unlikely scenario, but not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lakerstowin

I am a collector, so It will be all of them. I barely play the wii and use my 360 more then anything. I love the ps3's exclusives though. The wii-u will probably be the only system I have not purchased at launch since the wii didn't impress me much.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think everybody should just assume that gaming online on the PS4 is going to be free. Sure, Sony did it with the PS3, but once you give somebody something for free, then you're stuck and can no longer charge for it. That's why they have to give away all these free games for the PS+ deal. With the arrival of the PS4, Sony could change their model and go with a Xbox Live type pay service just to play online. I'm not saying that it's going to happen, but it wouldn't totally shock me if it did. If Sony does offer free online play with the PS4, then there is always the possibiltiy that Microsft would have to match it and give Live away for free. Again, probably an unlikely scenario, but not completely out of the realm of possibility.
    I agree. XBL is a huge money maker for Microsoft, in some quarters being the only part of the Xbox program that has generated any net revenue. If anything, Playstation Plus was Sony's way of testing customer reaction to paid services. I think it's more likely than not that online for the PS4 will be a pay style service and perhaps will include free games monthly like PS+ just to make it more palatable to consumers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Sony does offer free online play with the PS4, then there is always the possibiltiy that Microsft would have to match it and give Live away for free.
    Interestingly enough people said the same thing before this gen started: that if the PS3's online service was free then Microsoft would have to make XBL free to match it. Not only did that not happen but Sony ended up trying to match XBL by charging for PSN+. And when they did it at first they weren't offering the rotating "free" games they do now. So regardless of the speculation I'm 800% sure Microsoft won't make XBL Gold free(since Silver memberships are already free). What may happen is they might start offering more free games with gold memberships. So instead of the 2-5 free XBLA games they give out each year they might add full retail download games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Actually, when PS+ first started they were offering the free games. What else would they be offering if it wasn't for games. They didn't add the cloud saves feature until much later and people would be idiots to pay $50 for completely nothing, well, atleast on the PS3. 360 owners pay for nothing that other system owners don't already get for free.

When PS+ first started, if you purchased one year, you were given three free months. You also got games that were added weekly instead of monthly. They're doing it the exact same way now that they were back then, but instead of doing it weekly, it's done all at once at the beginning of the month and then a couple weeks in they add one final game. Although PSX games are much more infrequent on the new PS+. Back then they had up to four PSX games on there at once, now it's like only one PSX game each month.

The only reason it caught more attention now is because of E3 when they announced they were adding Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2, and a plethora of other games. Before that time, games like Just Cause 2, Far Cry 2(which was readded to PS+ after the announcement,) Marvel Pinball, and many other games were added. Symphony of the Night, Castlevania Chronicles, Final Fantasy 5, and the Resident Evil series were a few of the PSX games released on PS+ as well.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.