Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of these Saturn games should I buy?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Don't bother with Mortal Kombat II. It's not a good port.
    Really? I had heard it's practically arcade-perfect?

re: In General

I think I'm gonna get that AR now, then later on go for House of the Dead and DBZ Shin Butoden (is this as good as the Super Butoden games on the Super Famicom, or the one DBZ game on the Mega Drive? It can't be as terrible as the PS1's Ultimate Battle 22...)

Until then, I'm mostly interested in arcade shooters, platformers, fighters and the RPGs (though I'm guessing all the RPGs are rare/expensive)

By the way, how does Double Switch for Saturn compare to Double Switch for Sega CD?

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 32X port of MK2 is superior to the Saturn one. I'm pretty sure the Saturn was capable of displaying as many, if not more, colors than the 32X which is why it's kind of weird that the 32X version has way more vibrant, colorful graphics. The Saturn MK2 port was really just a sub-par rush job to try and satiate gamers who were pissed that Sony had a six month exclusivity deal on 32-bit MK3

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    DBZ Shin Butoden (is this as good as the Super Butoden games on the Super Famicom, or the one DBZ game on the Mega Drive? It can't be as terrible as the PS1's Ultimate Battle 22...)
    It's pretty much exactly the same as the SNES games but better graphics. Not sure why you like the Botuden games but don't like Ultimate Battle 22, they're all equally as bad. I think Ultimate Battle 22 is slightly better than the Botuden games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Value wise In the Hunt for the Saturn is worth about $30 or more if it's in excellent condition, I have it on PS1 but I still haven't played it so I can't comment on how good it is. It's supposedly Metal Slug with a submarine. The 3-pack isn't worth the asking price, I've passed on copies of this for under $10.

I'm sure there are other threads on Saturn games if you wanted to know which ones to keep an eye out for.
    In the Hunt is a side-view shooter, ported from an arcade game. Yes, you play as a sub. You have both underwater targets to shoot, as well you need to rise to the surface to shoot air targets.
    I remember the arcade game had pretty nice graphics for a 1993 game, don't know how well they stood up by the time of the Saturn port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's pretty much exactly the same as the SNES games but better graphics. Not sure why you like the Botuden games but don't like Ultimate Battle 22, they're all equally as bad. I think Ultimate Battle 22 is slightly better than the Botuden games.
    Really?

First time I played UB22, I did both the Kamehameha and the Genki Dama... and they both have the SAME graphic, which is a boring orange ball that just flies out. In Super Butoden, the Kamehameha LOOKS LIKE the Kamehameha, not just some lame cheesy we-did-the-pixel-art-in-five-seconds-in-MS-Paint graphic.

I also found the game slow, sluggish and kind of awkward, and really missed how in Super Butoden you could fly MILES away and the game would go split-screen.

Super Butoden isn't a great fighter, but it is good for fans of DBZ like myself who want a game that really make you feel like you're fighting a DBZ battle. Ultimate Battle 22 just doesn't have the right presentation. It feels like it was made by some Chinese hacker.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Really?

First time I played UB22, I did both the Kamehameha and the Genki Dama... and they both have the SAME graphic, which is a boring orange ball that just flies out. In Super Butoden, the Kamehameha LOOKS LIKE the Kamehameha, not just some lame cheesy we-did-the-pixel-art-in-five-seconds-in-MS-Paint graphic.

I also found the game slow, sluggish and kind of awkward, and really missed how in Super Butoden you could fly MILES away and the game would go split-screen.

Super Butoden isn't a great fighter, but it is good for fans of DBZ like myself who want a game that really make you feel like you're fighting a DBZ battle. Ultimate Battle 22 just doesn't have the right presentation. It feels like it was made by some Chinese hacker.
    Aside from the graphics, holding L or R to go to the other end of the map, and being able to do beam struggles, the way the games played was the same. The only reason I like Ultimate Battle 22 more, and again it's very slightly, is because build up mode. You go through playing harder enemies while doing your own attacks. Depending on the attacks you use though is what will get more powerful. So yeah. Not really a fan of the games themselves because they pretty much sucked, but build up mode was a feature I liked.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Aside from the graphics, holding L or R to go to the other end of the map, and being able to do beam struggles, the way the games played was the same.
    I don't mean to sound incredibly snarky, but to me this reads like "if you ignore UB22 not having any of the things that were awesome in Super Butoden, it's practically the same!"

I think we better get back to talking about Saturn before we Genki-dama each other.

So, are House of the Dead and the Virtua Cop games the only light gun games on Saturn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Pick up the 3-pack, forget the rest. Buy these titles:

Rayman
    World Series Baseball '98
    Astal
    Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei
    NiGHTS into Dreams...
    Worldwide Championship Soccer '98
    Winter Heat
    Virtual On
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Fighters Megamix
    Sega Rally Championship Edition
    Darius Gaiden
    NBA Jam T.E.
    Galactic Attack
    Daytona USA
    I'm surprised at you. Why on earth would you not recommend In the Hunt? It's pretty much Metal Slug with submarines. It's just awesome, aside from a bit of slow-down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, are House of the Dead and the Virtua Cop games the only light gun games on Saturn?
    There's also Corpse Killer: Graveyard Edition at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way, how does Double Switch for Saturn compare to Double Switch for Sega CD?
    Same game, just much much better quality video on Saturn.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Just for reference, as of now I already own the following:

US Releases:

* D (need a new second disk)
    * Galactic Attack
    * Galaxy Fight
    * In the Hunt
    * Mansion of Hidden Souls
    * NiGHTS Into Dreams
    * Quake

JPN Releases:

* Capcom Generation 2 - Chronicles of Arthur
    * Street Fighter Collection (the one that comes with Super, Super Turbo, and Alpha 2 Gold)

I've been considering picking up Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, but 3D fighters aren't my thing--they just don't make any sense to me, but I can adapt to just about any 2D fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is also Corpse Killer, Crypt Killer, Area 51, Maximum Force, Mighty Hits (Europe only), Die Hard Trilogy (1/3 of it), Scud (half of it), and Death Crimson (Japan only).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been considering picking up Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, but 3D fighters aren't my thing--they just don't make any sense to me, but I can adapt to just about any 2D fighter.
    VF2 is definitely worth picking up, it is a technical marvel. Also it is quite fun, and is very inexpensive.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gameofyou View Post
    VF2 is definitely worth picking up, it is a technical marvel. Also it is quite fun, and is very inexpensive.
    I approve this message!

Its among the best fighting games ever made imo and has one of the greatest soundtracks as well.

Don't worry about it being a 3d fighter. It might be polygonal, but esentially plays out on a 2d plane.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Good news! My Action Replay 4M Plus came in today!

Just tested Capcom Gen 2 on it... umm... is it normal for Makaimura and Chou Makaimura to have black bars on the side of the screen? (I assume its because of the Saturn's display resolution? It doesn't really hurt the game in any case... honestly I almost like it)

Also, love SF Alpha 2 Gold, and now I need to mod an arcade stick for it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Bumping for NEW QUESTION.

The local store has:

* Bust a Move 2
    * Clockwork Knight
    * Bug, and Bug Too
    * Sonic 3D Blast (missing manual and I think the case was broken)

Should I pick up any of these?

Also he got some import Saturn games, but all of them were incomplete--some were just the game and manual in a replacement case. IIRC, one of them was Grandia. I'll write down the names/take pictures of the others next time I'm there. One of them seemed to be some sort of minigame collection.

Also, my copy of In The Hunt seems to... work only when it wants to. Could this possibly be related to that the previous owner wrote his name (in marker) on the front of the disc? If so, is there a way to erase it without damaging the disc? (by the way, if "G. Biz" happens to be reading this, its his copy of In The Hunt that I own)

Finally... I'm actually liking Quake. Especially the replacement hidden levels. Hell's Aerie is a lot more fun than the drab Underearth of the original.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The local store has:

* Bust a Move 2
    * Clockwork Knight
    * Bug, and Bug Too

Also he got some import Saturn games, but all of them were incomplete--some were just the game and manual in a replacement case. IIRC, one of them was Grandia. I'll write down the names/take pictures of the others next time I'm there. One of them seemed to be some sort of minigame collection.

Also, my copy of In The Hunt seems to... work only when it wants to. Could this possibly be related to that the previous owner wrote his name (in marker) on the front of the disc? If so, is there a way to erase it without damaging the disc? (by the way, if "G. Biz" happens to be reading this, its his copy of In The Hunt that I own)

Finally... I'm actually liking Quake. Especially the replacement hidden levels. Hell's Aerie is a lot more fun than the drab Underearth of the original.
    I don't know enough to care about Sonic 3D Blast, but I LOVE Bust-A-Move 2 Arcade Edition for Saturn, You should definitely grab that game, IMO; especially now, since it has seasonal content. The intro changes to a Christmas and New Years theme when the Saturn's internal clock is set to December and January. I just get a kick from games that do that sort of thing

I'm also a Bug fan, but Clockwork Knight never really did much for me. I'd get them all for cheap, but Bust-A-Move 2 is my top pick of that lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The local store has:

* Bust a Move 2
    * Clockwork Knight
    * Bug, and Bug Too

All of these are worth playing, but I'd hold out for a complete copy of Sonic 3D. It's one of the most common Saturn games.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I'd take the three pack myself but I love virtua fighter and daytona racing!

Insert Coin (Level 0) SaturnHST's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In The Hunt has some defective copies floating around. You have to boot it up a certain way for it to work. I had one copy that didn't work at all and two other ones that are finicky.

There's a thread on different ways you can try to boot it up:

http://www.satakore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=95