Thread: Opinions on collecting boxed games? Is it worth it at this point?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Opinions on collecting boxed games? Is it worth it at this point?

I posted this same thing at nintendoage but since this is a different community, i thought i'd get opinions here.

I took a break from collecting for a while but I am trying to get back into it. Recently i've been collecting original xbox, ps2, and ps1 games. However i want to start up my snes, genesis, and n64 collecting again.
    Since i have so few games, I was thinking of just buying boxed games. Doesn't necessarily need to be complete with manual, but at least have the box and cart holder. I'm not going for any complete collection, I have a list of games i want for the system, which covers most of the popular stuff like the rpg's, etc.

Part of me thinks that i'd be spending way too much money, and i can just go scour flea markets, thrifts, and used game shops to find loose carts for cheap.

But another part of me thinks i can slow down, and buy 1 boxed game a week or every 2 weeks, collection will grow much smaller but at least it would be boxed.

I wanted to post the games I want for the system, I was hoping people here can tell me, based on the stuff I want, if it makes sense trying to get it all boxed.

Do you think it might make better sense to just get UGC's and print my own covers?

I'd eventually be displaying these games when i move into a bigger place. Most of the games are on my list because I want to play them, and because I think they are the best games for the system,and represent it well.

games that are underlined and in italics are games i already have boxed.

SNES

ActRaiser
    ActRaiser II
    Adventures of Batman and Robin
    Aladdin
    Animaniacs
    Battletoads and Double Dragon
    Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
    Batman Returns
    Bonkers
    Breath Of Fire
    Breath of Fire II
    Castlevania Dracula X
    Chrono Trigger
    Contra III Alien Wars
    Death and Return of Superman
    Demon's Crest
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country II
    Donkey Kong Country III
    Earthbound
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    Final Fantasy II
    FInal Fantasy III
    Final Fight
    FInal Fight II
    Final Fight III
    Harvest Moon
    Hook
    Illusion Of Gaia
    Killer Instinct
    Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
    Lufia
    Lufia II
    Mega Man VII
    Mega Man X
    Mega Man X2
    Mega Man X3
    Power Rangers
    Power Rangers The Movie
    Ogre Battle: March Of The Black Queen
    Phalanx
    Phantom 2040
    Pitfall: Mayan Adventure
    Plok
    Primal Rage
    Prince of Persia
    Prince of Persia II
    Secret Of Evermore
    Secret of Mana
    Shadowrun
    Soul Blazer
    Spawn
    Spiderman
    Spiderman: Maximum Carnage
    Spiderman: Seperation Anxiety
    Street Fighter Alpha II
    Street Fighter II - The World Warrior
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Double Dragon
    Super Mario All Stars
    Super Mario RPG
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario World II: Yoshi's Island
    Super Metroid
    Super Punch Out
    Super Street Fighter II
    Super Tennis
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV Turtles In Time
    Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
    Toy Story
    Wolfenstien 3D
    WWF Raw
    WWF Royal Rumble
    X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
    Ys III - Wanderers From Ys

Genesis

Aladdin
    Altered Beast
    Beyond Oasis
    Boogerman
    Captain America And The Avengers
    Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Cool Spot
    Comix Zone
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Earthworm Jim
    Earthworm Jim II
    Ecco The Dolphin
    Ecco: Tides of Time
    ESWAT: City Under Siege
    Eternal Champions
    Fatal Fury
    Fatal Fury II
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe II
    Golden Axe III
    Gunstar Heroes
    Kid Chameleon
    Landstalker
    Lion King
    Mortal Kombat
    Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
    M.U.S.H.A
    NBA Jam
    NHL 94
    Phantasy Star II
    Phantasy Star III
    Phantasy Star IV
    Ren and Stimpy
    Ristar
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Shadowrun
    Shining In The Darkness
    Shining Force
    Shining Force II
    Sonic
    Sonic II
    Sonic III
    Sonic and Knuckles
    Sonic 3D
    Splatterhouse 2
    Splatterhouse 3
    Streets Of Rage
    Streets Of Rage 2
    Streets Of Rage 3
    Strider
    Toe Jam and Earl
    Vectorman
    Vectorman 2
    World Series Baseball

N64

Banjo Kazooie
    Banjo Tooie
    Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Donkey Kong 64
    Doom 64
    Golden Eye 007
    Harvest Moon 64
    Jet Force Gemini
    Legend Of Zelda Majora's Mask
    Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Time
    Mario Tennis 64
    Ogre Battle 64
    Paper Mario
    Perfect Dark
    ShadowGate 64
    StarFox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros
    WCW/NWO Revenge
    WWF No Mercy

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

First and foremost, be sure you have room for all this stuff, and the job security to maintain having enough space. Moving is always a nightmare when your collection becomes big.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

The basics are fairly obvious. Boxed games can be fragile space hogs. Ensure you have room to keep your desired titles safe.

Cardboard ones in particular. They may bend if opened hasty, and face weight damage risk kept as unprotected stacks.
    Lum fan.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about how fragile the boxes are because they can all be broken down and stored for the move, or until he's prepared a nice home for everything in his gameroom.

For me original boxed games are always the better way to go ASSUMING THE COST ISN'T PROHIBITIVE. If you go that route, I think the fact you'll collect slower is really a GOOD thing. It gives you time to play your games, and it'll actually keep your spending down if you can avoid picking up other loose games in the meanwhile. There are only so many hours in a day after all, and if you have a job and other adult responsibilities you'll only have so much time to play through these games, plus any current gen gaming you may do. I think there are only advantages to building up your collection slowly.

• Your shelf will look a lot cooler (and honestly, we ALL appreciate that).
    • You can actually spend more time playing games than collecting them.
    • You'll (possibly) spend less money in the end by limiting your purchases to CIB games.
    • You'll have far less crappy filler than if you liberally purchased whatever loose games you came across.

Now, I don't really care about boxed NES and SNES games (I think it's because they have the names on the top of the carts, and still look great loose). I care more about the manuals than the boxes for those two libraries. Everything else I want cases/boxes for though. There's just no reason to not have CIB Genesis games. Hell, you have to look for ones that don't have cases thanks to SEGA being awesome and clamshelling their SMS and Genesis titles. Also, Nintendo 64 boxes are fairly easy to come across.

IF it won't cost you much, you can just use UGCs and printed labels for all of the lose games you decide to purchase or already own, and just add original boxes and cases as you come across them. I've matched up too many orphaned carts, manuals, discs over the years for cheap.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 11-03-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Totally depends on personal preference, which also comes down to platform preference, space efficiency and ease of hunting. A complete boxed Genesis collection, although an easier than normal library to find complete games for, is an obnoxious space hog compared to other libraries. NES and pre-DS GameBoy, on the other hand, can be a pain in the ass to collect boxed only just in locating good specimens in the wild.

There's also ease of just playing the games. I collect mainly loose for NES because I want to grab the cart, toss it in and play it quickly. I don't want to fiddle with the box and be paranoid about damage. My 500 NES carts aren't as valuable as the guy with 500 boxed NES games, but at least I can play them without the extra baggage.

My Gameboy/GBA/DS/PSP/GameGear collection is mostly boxed, but I actually tossed all the carts in a couple of old traveling tape cassette/walkman bag from the 80's/90's. The boxes are on the shelf, but I can get to my games ASAP. Seems redundant, but again, at least I can get to my games when I want to without too much hassle.

It also comes down to what you are collecting for. Just to have numbers? Go buy every EASports release ever for pennies on the dollar. Yah' know? Go with what works for you and your situation.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have plenty of boxes for games that I bought years and years ago when they were either new or just barely used, but I don't bother with buying CIB anymore. I buy loose almost exclusively and case em up in UGCs.

I guess it depends on why you're buying games. IMO, UGCs offer a far more clean, uniform look. Plus, keeping games in cardboard boxes only makes it harder to access them PLUS those boxes will wear so much faster as a result of all that handling.

That said, depending on how many UGCs you buy at once and how you print the covers, you'll end up paying another ~1.00-2.00 per game just to case them. Still ends up being a LOT cheaper than buying CIB versions over loose.
    Last edited by wiggyx; 11-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I love collecting good examples of SNES and Gameboy boxed games. Trying to find a good example at a decent price ensures I don't go crazy and buy a inordinate amount of games. This also has the added bonus of ensuring each game gets played.
    Now the silly bit. I don't leave the games in the boxes though, don't wanna damage them. Thus means the games are taking up almost twice the space.
    Much prefer the cardboard to Megadrive cases.
    Also neo geo cases can be flimsy, which is annoying considering their cost.
    Love neo geo pocket game clamshells!

1st post!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When I returned to the video game fold a few years ago, I bought mostly boxed NES/SNES/Genesis games, but the prices have gone up over the past few years as boxes and manuals become more scarce. My priority now is for manuals and maps, although I'll willingly pay an extra $5-10 for a boxed game versus without, provided that the box is in decent condition. A box with a lot of wear is not something that I care to pay anything more than an extra couple bucks for.

I do have a lot of boxed NES, Genesis, along with some SNES games because I was lucky enough to buy my collection before the price inflation of the past couple years.

I also do not keep my carts or manuals in their boxes since I want quick access to them for playing. The boxes are stored away in storage boxes.
    Last edited by Casati; 11-06-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally, I think if you're going to bother with the boxes, then why not just get the manuals as well and just exclusively collect complete games. Give yourself a strict monthly limit to not go over in spending. Maybe start off with a $75 monthly limit. See how many complete games you can get for $75 or less each month, and just do it like that. Sure, it will take a LONG time to collect a lot of games that way, but it should be quite fun.