Thread: Considering slimming down my collection immensely, help me out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

Default Considering slimming down my collection immensely, help me out.

Hey everyone,
    So I am at a weird place in life, I am torn.... I love my collection, I love collecting, I love playing, I love it all. The time may have come though, Maybe a third, maybe half, maybe all.

I really want to sell most of my possessions quit my job and travel, not sure if I have the guts to do it yet though.

I really want to sell a bunch of stuff though, what would be the best way to do this? Should I just try selling everything here?

Reallly, torn, so it may be a while, and like I said, the games I love, I will be keeping and storing at my parents place if I sell my house.

thanks everyone!

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you don't need the money from the games to do what you're planning, and if your parents are cool with storing the stuff for you, just do that. I've never regretted not selling something, but I've often regretted selling things.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

I was stuck a few years ago where I had to sell off 90% of my collection. It really sucked for a few weeks but after using the money to do what needed to be done and finally have a chance to relax I felt it was well worth the sacrifice.

I kept the few things that meant a lot to me like sentimental pieces and the few pieces that I just really couldn't bring myself to let go of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good ol' DP. Where people don't answer your actual questions, but instead offer their unsolicited advice.

The fastest way to sell would most likely be to use sites like eBay and Amazon. You'll net less cash because of the fees, and possibly because items won't sell for what you thought they would.

Selling on forums like this will get you the most bang for your buck, but the most headache (PMs with tons of questions, promises of payments that never happen, etc.)

Craigslist is an option, but if you've ever used CL, then you know how flakey people who use it can be. Not to mention that it doesn't cater to the game collector, so it may be a while before you actually get anyone to bite.

So, in my opinion, if you wanna unload it fast, regardless of how much you much you get for everything, then I'd go eBay/Amazon.

If you wanna wait it out and get as much as possible, then forums and CL are really the way to go.

Best of luck to ya, however you decide to thin down the stash!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

You said it might be a while so if you didn't mind it taking longer go with selling here so you know your collection will be helping someone else out and you get the cash your items deserve. Also there is probably a better chance of them selling on here where people are looking for them. If you want to get rid of things quickly like wiggyx said then go for eBay or Amazon. You did say it may take a while though so if I were you I would try here first.
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Good ol' DP. Where people don't answer your actual questions, but instead offer their unsolicited advice.
    The "unsolicited advice" comes from those with experience in situations similar to this. Especially when we the readers are giving the "back story", as it were, to why the OP is thinking of purging their items.

It's simple: if xfrumx just wanted to sell the stuff, they'd just ask "Hey, I want to get rid of some of my stuff. What's the best way to do it? Here? eBay? Etc.". No explanation, no nothing. Plain and simple.

However, we are told that the person is torn. They love collecting and gaming but they also want to cut away things and travel the world but is essentially apprehensive to the concept. Why tell us this? If they just wanted to sell stuff, why let us, a group of strangers possibly never (possible never will be) seen in the real world, in on this personal part of their life?

To just answer the question with a simple "do this" would be a disservice. Many of us, myself included, have pondered dumping their collection for something else-money to pay bills, move into another hobby, bolster perhaps another part of the collection, etc. And many of us, no matter the reason why we gave up part or all of our collections, regret the decision and typically go back and reclaim the stuff we had before at sometimes a higher price than what we sold it for. Hey, I've sold off a Genesis 5 times and a Sega CD 4 times and I'm back with them in my collection again. To NOT give alternate advice would be against our better judgement. At least mine anyway.

xfrumx, if you want to sell your collection, you've been given some good avenues. Gamegavel is another auction site that seems to do pretty well for sellers. AtariAge has a bustling community where you can sell your wares as well. But if you're debating, think about it. Put the gear you're not playing regularly in boxes and store them. If after a few months they never see the light of day, maybe you can part with them and you might be guilt free when you do put them up for sale.

That's my 2 Zenny on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    The "unsolicited advice" comes from those with experience in situations similar to this. Especially when we the readers are giving the "back story", as it were, to why the OP is thinking of purging their items.

It's simple: if xfrumx just wanted to sell the stuff, they'd just ask "Hey, I want to get rid of some of my stuff. What's the best way to do it? Here? eBay? Etc.". No explanation, no nothing. Plain and simple.

However, we are told that the person is torn. They love collecting and gaming but they also want to cut away things and travel the world but is essentially apprehensive to the concept. Why tell us this? If they just wanted to sell stuff, why let us, a group of strangers possibly never (possible never will be) seen in the real world, in on this personal part of their life?

To just answer the question with a simple "do this" would be a disservice. Many of us, myself included, have pondered dumping their collection for something else-money to pay bills, move into another hobby, bolster perhaps another part of the collection, etc. And many of us, no matter the reason why we gave up part or all of our collections, regret the decision and typically go back and reclaim the stuff we had before at sometimes a higher price than what we sold it for. Hey, I've sold off a Genesis 5 times and a Sega CD 4 times and I'm back with them in my collection again. To NOT give alternate advice would be against our better judgement. At least mine anyway.

xfrumx, if you want to sell your collection, you've been given some good avenues. Gamegavel is another auction site that seems to do pretty well for sellers. AtariAge has a bustling community where you can sell your wares as well. But if you're debating, think about it. Put the gear you're not playing regularly in boxes and store them. If after a few months they never see the light of day, maybe you can part with them and you might be guilt free when you do put them up for sale.

Well said, pretty much my reply as well. Don't see the point of attacking "good ol' DP'ers" who have good intentions and advice to give to someone obviously on the fence about selling at all. Reading between the lines is an essential part of reading.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Try to sell what you want here first to avoid fees, then whatever you don't sell go the Ebay/Amazon route.

Since you're interested in getting out of collecting, instead of selling it all, just sell the ones that don't mean much to you and you wouldn't play again. Keep all the ones you like or would play again, because what happens when you get back into gaming? You'll have your favorite games, sure, but if you don't need the money you should just keep all the ones you like.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd also say it's best to sell on forums if possible because you'll probably get a better return, but it is SO easy to list on ebay I often find myself doing that rather than attempting to make/update threads selling stuff.

I'd just note, keep your rares and favorites in storage or with family if you can. Those will be the ones that, if you do decide to get back into collecting eventually, you pull your hair out with frustration over selling in the past.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I have to disagree with most of the advice here about ebay vs forums. Ebay and Amazon are the best way to get the most for your stuff, with the possible exception of real rarities. When I've listed things here, I've priced them with the general formula of Ebay price - fees - ~10% and it does not sell. People here are looking for very good deals most of the time. Additionally, there will always be straggler items that no one here is looking for at the moment. And as has been said, it is at least as much work to sell things here on the forums.

In my opinion there is a certain amount of value to selling here. It helps out the community and goes to people that respect the items. That's all good, I've just been frustrated in the past that people aren't willing to pay market value here. I understand, because to us most classic games do not seem as rare as they do to the general public buying on eBay, but still, frustrating.

As for sell or not, can't help you much there. I've thought about selling certain collections, particularly N64 lately, but I've got such a backlog of dupes and miscellany that I really have to get rid of all that before I go after a collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post

These are the only question marks that I see.

"I really want to sell a bunch of stuff though, what would be the best way to do this? Should I just try selling everything here?"

Any other advice is unsolicited and you're assuming that the OP wants/needs it.

If you want to offer up unsolicited advice, then that's entirely your decision, clearly. But, it might be nice to answer the questions that were actually in his post in addition to said advice.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you want to offer up unsolicited advice, then that's entirely your decision, clearly. But, it might be nice to answer the questions that were actually in his post in addition to said advice.
    No arguments there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

Well, look where life brought me. Slowed down collecting a bit, didn't sell much. Moved half hour away with my S.O.

Thanks everyone for responding years ago. I'll be selling and trading dead weight and doubles soon.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

well 2 years later and I have to ask.

are you happy with your decision?

or are you now going to start to travel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    well 2 years later and I have to ask.

are you happy with your decision?

or are you now going to start to travel?
    3 years!!!
    I'm very happy, I've been gaming a lot the past few months.

I am travelling, I'm in a band again, that was one of the problems before, my old band broke up and we regularly toured the country.

My current band has hit every direction within a few hours and more(even played Clifton, NJ it's a shame I didn't get to make it to DP again)

We have a deal to go to Canada in the works next year as well!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea there isn't many people here that even mention the store any more.

theres a disconnect between the two now, its yet to be completely explained and of curse there are versions from every one. but it all happened while I was hitting a rough time in life and wasn't able to do much outside of life so I donno

frankly I feel there needs to be changes made to get more traffic but...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

These are the only question marks that I see.

"I really want to sell a bunch of stuff though, what would be the best way to do this? Should I just try selling everything here?"

Any other advice is unsolicited and you're assuming that the OP wants/needs it.

Can I have a list of the suckers who buy your appallingly overpriced repros? Mother of god, I knew people on NA were suckers, but this is a whole new level. I want to buy a Tesla and you know, those aren't cheap.

Oh, sorry for the unsolicited comment on an old post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well it's a bit much, but he'll most likely never read it. Last time you laid into him if you remember he got pissed off, had a fit and left the site. His last login shows being gone since May 2015.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was in this position a few years ago. The tipping point for me was a lack of time to play everything I amassed(one of the reasons I'm only sticking with one current gen system this time around) and few remaining spaces to continue to collect the way I was. So I decided to start by first only selling the systems and games I would probably never play such as my Atari Lynx, Wonderswan and Wondersawn Color and Sega Game Gear collections. Then I started selling my factory sealed systems because I usually had opened versions to use. Which took me right to my factory sealed games collection because I also had opened copies. After selling all of that I was down by about 15% of my collection which was a pretty good start. Now I try and find open copies of the other stuff I have sealed so I can continue selling my sealed copies for a premium.

If time is not of the essence than I would suggest using ebay buy it now auctions to maximize your profits. But if you are looking to dump things quickly then your standard auctions, craigs list and places such as here on DP are all good options.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Now may be the time to off high dollar shit on eBay. Prices seem to spike around the holidays as people are getting gifts for that collector in their life.