Thread: What do you think of the new Playstation Store?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default What do you think of the new Playstation Store?

I think it sucks ass compared to the old one. It feels as if Sony was heavily inspired about the in your face bullshit advertising that is on Xbox Live. I just want to go through the store and browse. Why couldn't you guys just leave the store the way it was?

Now the first time you go to the new Playstation Store, it's absolute shit, until you learn how they designed it, then it's simple, but there is one major problem which I'll explain at the end after the bitching.

Let's say you want to go to Playstation Plus now. Before you went there and it showed you all of the new content. Everything was sized to the same proportions. On the new store, you go to Games, then Playstation Plus, but then where do you go. The first option on every thing you can go to is always bullshit advertising. New Arrivals doesn't show any free content, just this months discounts. Expiring Soon shows discounts that are expiring soon. How it works is more bullshit advertising. Then you get to Free Games, Other Freebies, Discounts(again,) Exclusives(which everyone is probably well aware the God of War series is exclusive,) and Timed Trials.

So you finally get to the option you're looking for. The Free Games option shows a view where you can see a four by three view of games. So you click on the option, and then the top third of the screen is taken up by Playstation Plus Free Games, add filter, and sort. The icons of the games grow bigger and because of the top third being taken up, you can now only see a two by three view. The same thing happens when you go to any other section in the Playstation Plus screen.

You'll quickly realize that the top portion of each section is the bullshit advertising section, although one, most downloaded does actually look nice. The most downloaded game has a character picture and name of the game on the left side, the next three are larger sized to the right of that, and then the rest of them are all the same sized. It shows 10 games in each category.

So then if you go to the PS3 section, clicking on New PS3 Games brinigs you to the same thing as Playstation Plus showing a four by three picture of the new games. but unlike Playstation Plus, it actually only reduces to three by three since it doesn't have that huge. Then there's the lower section for specific types of games, whether it's All Games, Full Games, Classics, etc, just in case you want to browse. The PS Vita channel and PSP channels are the same as the PS3 but obviously with PS3 games.

Here's where things just get bad. This is the same for every option, but I'm going to use PSP as an example. Let's say you're looking to just browse the PSP game list for a PSP game. You don't want a mini, you don't want a PSX game, you want a retail PSP game that has been released digitally. First thing you'll notice is there's no list for just PSP games. If you want to view PSP games, then you'll need to choose All PSP Games, but this list includes everything. PSP games, Bundles, Minis, and PSX games. There's the option of going to the filter and filtering it out for PSP Games in Game Type, but not only is it one more step, but what if you happened to want to use that filter to search for an action game? You can only use the filter for one option, even if the options don't clash with one another.

So guess what else they fucked up on. No alphabet. You can't choose what letter you would like to browse.

The search engine also sucks. Instead of letting you just use the keyboard and search for something. They have that old archaic search system which you put one letter and then everything that has that letter in it will show to the side, you put the next letter of the game, and everything with that shows up. When I say everything, I mean everything. You put a in and every single game that has the letter a in the title will show up on that list alphabetically.

Overall it's not too bad, because after you mess with it once you'll find out that the bottom section is where you want to go and browse, but they just screwed it up when they already had a perfectly good Playstation Store.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-04-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I think it sucks ass compared to the old one. It feels as if Sony was heavily inspired about the in your face bullshit advertising that is on Xbox Live. I just want to go through the store and browse. Why couldn't you guys just leave the store the way it was?

Now the first time you go to the new Playstation Store, it's absolute shit, until you learn how they designed it, then it's simple, but there is one major problem which I'll explain at the end after the bitching.

Let's say you want to go to Playstation Plus now. Before you went there and it showed you all of the new content. Everything was sized to the same proportions. On the new store, you go to Games, then Playstation Plus, but then where do you go. The first option on every thing you can go to is always bullshit advertising. New Arrivals doesn't show any free content, just this months discounts. Expiring Soon shows discounts that are expiring soon. How it works is more bullshit advertising. Then you get to Free Games, Other Freebies, Discounts(again,) Exclusives(which everyone is probably well aware the God of War series is exclusive,) and Timed Trials.

So you finally get to the option you're looking for. The Free Games option shows a view where you can see a four by three view of games. So you click on the option, and then the top third of the screen is taken up by Playstation Plus Free Games, add filter, and sort. The icons of the games grow bigger and because of the top third being taken up, you can now only see a two by three view. The same thing happens when you go to any other section in the Playstation Plus screen.

You'll quickly realize that the top portion of each section is the bullshit advertising section, although one, most downloaded does actually look nice. The most downloaded game has a character picture and name of the game on the left side, the next three are larger sized to the right of that, and then the rest of them are all the same sized. It shows 10 games in each category.

So then if you go to the PS3 section, clicking on New PS3 Games brinigs you to the same thing as Playstation Plus showing a four by three picture of the new games. but unlike Playstation Plus, it actually only reduces to three by three since it doesn't have that huge. Then there's the lower section for specific types of games, whether it's All Games, Full Games, Classics, etc, just in case you want to browse. The PS Vita channel and PSP channels are the same as the PS3 but obviously with PS3 games.

Here's where things just get bad. This is the same for every option, but I'm going to use PSP as an example. Let's say you're looking to just browse the PSP game list for a PSP game. You don't want a mini, you don't want a PSX game, you want a retail PSP game that has been released digitally. First thing you'll notice is there's no list for just PSP games. If you want to view PSP games, then you'll need to choose All PSP Games, but this list includes everything. PSP games, Bundles, Minis, and PSX games. There's the option of going to the filter and filtering it out for PSP Games in Game Type, but not only is it one more step, but what if you happened to want to use that filter to search for an action game? You can only use the filter for one option, even if the options don't clash with one another.

So guess what else they fucked up on. No alphabet. You can't choose what letter you would like to browse.

The search engine also sucks. Instead of letting you just use the keyboard and search for something. They have that old archaic search system which you put one letter and then everything that has that letter in it will show to the side, you put the next letter of the game, and everything with that shows up. When I say everything, I mean everything. You put a in and every single game that has the letter a in the title will show up on that list alphabetically.

Overall it's not too bad, because after you mess with it once you'll find out that the bottom section is where you want to go and browse, but they just screwed it up when they already had a perfectly good Playstation Store.
    From what I just read here, I don't even want to look at it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]