Thread: Your Favorites?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your Favorites?

I figured out I need to downgrade to xvidia 258 to get MAME to work on my XP, so now Im gonna take a big leap into arcade emulation.

So what are you guys' favorite arcade games? Specifically the ones that can run on MAME32 on a Windows XP. And I have Kawaks so cps 1&2 and of course NEO GEO are already taken care of.

Thank you in advance.

Cubs, pubs and bubs. sneekyweezel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

Here's a few:
    Dragon Breed
    Vigilante
    Double Dragon 2
    Splatterhouse
    Golden Axe 2
    Street Fighter 2 The World Warrior
    Wardner
    Ghosts And Goblins
    Crime Fighters
    Rush N' Attack(Green Beret)
    Super Contra
    Final Fight

Happy playing! =D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just speaking of CPS/MVS games...
    All the fighting games!
    If that's not really your thing...

Blue's Journey
    Willow
    Ghouls'n'Ghosts
    Alien vs Predator
    Progear
    U.N. Squadron
    D&D Tower of Doom
    D&D Tower over Mystara
    Metal Slug 1, X, and 3
    Neo Turf Masters
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Insert Coin (Level 0) Detonator's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1. Gravitar (Atari) Simply the best arcade game ever with incredible depth. 100% skill and tactics,
    2. Xevious (Namco) Mother of all vertical shooter games.
    3. Star Wars (Atari) (I actually played over 30 million in the arcade version. This game screams playability and requires actual pilot skills. It's much, much harder without the yoke but I've managed to play 2.9 mil with the mouse.)
    4. Stargate (Williams) I prefer this over the original Defender.
    5. Space Duel (This what Asteroids Deluxe should have been. 4 cool modes... I prefer the linked ship)
    6. Battle Zone (Atari) I doubt this requires any explanation. A legend.
    7. Empire Strikes Back (Atari) Hugely underrated sequel. Very addictive. Includes a similar buy-in that Tempest has... it's not actually buy-in but you need skills to advance in later levels.)
    8. Pole Position (Namco) This is the only game of the mentioned that really shows its age.... but it's still the first ever decent driving arcade game. I remember how amazing it was when it first came out... the whole arcade just stared in in awe. Those were the days...
    9. Space Ace (Cinematronics) Maybe not a great game but it deserves mention because it was actually a decent interactive adventure... MUCH better than Dragon's Lair actually... without those annoying black screen clicks... and back then this laserdisc system was sci-fi. I think DL and Space Ace were revolutionary because they put 2000's graphics to a 80's technology. Not sure if this is fully emulated in MAME though... but I have the original DVDs.
    10.Raiden Fighters (Seibu Kaihatsu) This is probably the best modern shooter series... I absolutely love it... fast, furious... like Xevious on steroids.

Honorable mentions:

Tempest, Track & Field, Defender, Robotron, Asteroids, Marble Madness, Bomb Jack, Mr Do, Mr Do's Castle, Zookeeper, Phozon, Puzzle Bobble, Money Puzzle Enchanger, Bal Cube, Indiana Jones, Galaga, Major Havoc, Quantum, I Robot, Black Widow, Centipede, Wiz Warz, Liberator, Missile Command.
    Last edited by Detonator; 11-14-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Plenty of good games to be found on Mame and it is great fun exploring the huge amount of games you never heard of or rediscovering the games you had forgotten about.I prefer some of the more older games,I will try and make my list as short as possible.

Rastan
    Battlezone
    Frogger
    Pacman & MsPacman
    Rygar
    Salamander
    Pengo
    Karnov
    G-Darius
    Ladybug
    Eyes
    Berzerk
    Ghouls `n Ghosts

NEOGEO
    Metal Slug series
    Pulstar
    Blazing Star
    Aerofighers 2 / Sonic Wings 2
    Top Hunter
    Last edited by jammajup; 12-01-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Yeeha, Jester's Dead! RhetroAktive's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    RhetroAktive

Here are some of mine:

Rastan (Awesome Soundtrack)
    Pacman / Mrs. Pacman
    X-Men
    Metal Slug Series
    Rolling Thunder
    Killer Instinct
    Double Dragon
    Joust
    Street Fighter II
    Street Fighter Alpha Series
    Ultimate MK 3
    Galaga

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Invidia plug in thing isnt coming to fruition, I dont want to keep asking my dad to get it fro ma coworker. But I am going to do emulation on a psp. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I've always loved Konami's beat em ups.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any Specific genre you're looking for?

Beat 'em ups are my favorite so:
    Battle Toads (actually 90% beat 'em up this time, so the game is completable )

Denjin Makai & Gaurdians/Denjin Makai II

Double Dragon***** & Double Dragon 2 (unless you prefer the console versions, as these have some serious lag...)

Gaiapolis

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder (you could also go for the original if you prefer how an arcade game looks over the Genesis)

Hook

Kicker (if you'd count it, it's a Konami game that's like Kung Fu Master meets Bubble Bobble)

Knights of Valour Super Heroes(best version of the first game) & Knights of Valour 2

Legend of Heroes (I know there's a Falcom RPG series by the same name, but this is a pirate game using graphics that seem to come from Disney's Mulan, but the game plays really well. Sound isn't emulated well yet though)

Light Bringer*****

Metamorphic Force

Night Slashers***

Ninja Baseball Bat Man

Oriental Legend

Riding Fight

Rollergames (probably more a sport, but it's about which team leader can beat down more members of the other team)

Shadow Force

Spider-Man: The Video Game

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles*

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time*

The Simpsons*

Undercover Cops**

Vendetta*

Violent Storm

X-Men****

and of course I neglected Capcom/NeoGeo, because you say you're all set with them(I use M.A.M.E. for everything, myself)

*Konami beat 'em ups were mostly made to be 4 player, and that version is the parent rom in all cases, so get the 2 player version if you care about being able to choose a different character without popping a coin into the 2-4 player slot. This goes for some non-beat 'em ups too, like Sunset Riders.

**Undercover Cops has an alternate, better version called Alpha Renewal Version, you'll still need the crappier parent rom

***Night Slashers parent rom is censored, so go for the Overseas revision if you want to be able to choose to uncensor it. It's really not a big deal, green blood to red. Still just as gory with green blood.

****X-Men was actually intended to be a 6 player game, but the parent rom is 4 player, and allows you to choose your characters. If you want to do online multiplayer some time, you may want to pick up the 6 player version.

*****I'm not sure if it makes a difference, considering arcade games aren't generally story heavy, but in some cases, like Double Dragon, or Pac-Man, the parent rom will be Japanese(and in the case of the latter, have a slightly different name). In the case of Light Bringer, I believe it is the original Japanese version, but is completely in English anyway, of the game we got as Dungeon Magic.
    Last edited by MidnightRider; 01-06-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Galaga is my game of choice but you want a hidden gem check out R-Shark. It is a great shmup that I highly recommend. It was made by the small Korean company Dooyong. Their shmups are good but their other games are kinda garbage.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mwahahahahahaaa!!

Here's my list (I sure hope this link works):

http://www.voltage-control.com/arcade01.html

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Detonator View Post
    1. Gravitar (Atari) Simply the best arcade game ever with incredible depth. 100% skill and tactics,
    2. Xevious (Namco) Mother of all vertical shooter games.
    3. Star Wars (Atari) (I actually played over 30 million in the arcade version. This game screams playability and requires actual pilot skills. It's much, much harder without the yoke but I've managed to play 2.9 mil with the mouse.)
    4. Stargate (Williams) I prefer this over the original Defender.
    5. Space Duel (This what Asteroids Deluxe should have been. 4 cool modes... I prefer the linked ship)
    6. Battle Zone (Atari) I doubt this requires any explanation. A legend.
    7. Empire Strikes Back (Atari) Hugely underrated sequel. Very addictive. Includes a similar buy-in that Tempest has... it's not actually buy-in but you need skills to advance in later levels.)
    8. Pole Position (Namco) This is the only game of the mentioned that really shows its age.... but it's still the first ever decent driving arcade game. I remember how amazing it was when it first came out... the whole arcade just stared in in awe. Those were the days...
    9. Space Ace (Cinematronics) Maybe not a great game but it deserves mention because it was actually a decent interactive adventure... MUCH better than Dragon's Lair actually... without those annoying black screen clicks... and back then this laserdisc system was sci-fi. I think DL and Space Ace were revolutionary because they put 2000's graphics to a 80's technology. Not sure if this is fully emulated in MAME though... but I have the original DVDs.
    10.Raiden Fighters (Seibu Kaihatsu) This is probably the best modern shooter series... I absolutely love it... fast, furious... like Xevious on steroids.

Honorable mentions:

Tempest, Track & Field, Defender, Robotron, Asteroids, Marble Madness, Bomb Jack, Mr Do, Mr Do's Castle, Zookeeper, Phozon, Puzzle Bobble, Money Puzzle Enchanger, Bal Cube, Indiana Jones, Galaga, Major Havoc, Quantum, I Robot, Black Widow, Centipede, Wiz Warz, Liberator, Missile Command.
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

These are indeed some of the greatest arcade games of all time.

And if you run the vector ones under MAME, a Gamma and Intensity setting of 1.7 seems to work really well. As for resolution, well... sky's the limit