Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think PS4 should include the Vita as its standard controller?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Do you think PS4 should include the Vita as its standard controller?

I think they should, but also offer Dualshock 3 compatibility and require that all developers include Dualshock compatibility to each of their games if at all possible. I'd prefer to play using a classic style controller if given the option to. The reason I think they should is based off both the Wii U and rumors of the NextBox using a tablet style controller. By including a Vita in every console as a controller, more of the gimmicky third party games will have the probability to be multiconsole or ported over to the PS4.

Everyone already knows the Vita desperately needs sales, and by doing this, Sony would kill two birds with one stone. Not only would each PS4 sold give them a Vita sale, but it would also allow them to compete with Nintendo by having the same gimmicky feature. So gamers could play PS4 with their friends at home, and then whenever going somewhere, take their Vita with them and play their Vita games on the go. Since Sony is including most first party games with the cross buy feature this would push the value of cross buy even further because everyone would already have both systems to take advantage of it. Also, if they were to push harder to get third party developers to include cross buy in their games by offering a bigger percentage to sales, this could persuade more people to go towards the PS4 version when deciding what system to purchase their multiconsole titles for.

Also, by integrating Remote Play between the PS4/Vita from the start, Sony could have more games compatible with it and even include it as a feature on the games product listings of which games work with remote play,for those people who are specifically looking for those that work with it.

When it comes to functionality, the Vita works fine, and the back touch panel is an alternative for L2/R2 by some chance one of those rare games runs out of buttons and requires everything, including the touch screen.

Here are some games that already have those same gimmicky features that we see on the Wii U. Nothing that specifically interests me, but just an idea on what PS4/Vita compatibility could do.

LBP2/Vita PS3/Vita connectivity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5SuLzHRo0Q
    Sly Cooper Thieves in Time connectivity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTAX23oCPxE
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-08-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, I think that it SHOULD be a universally supported controller option and that they should make an affordable system bundle with one included, BUT I also think that the Dual Shock should continue to be the standard. The Dual Shock is controller perfection IMO and I can't imagine ditching it for anything else.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

That's the reason I mentioned Dualshock compatibility with all games should be required unless it's a game that can't possibly make use of the Dualshock 3. Something that an alternate control scheme just wouldn't work with.

This would ensure that more Vita handhelds would get out there but people could still use Dualshock 3 on just about every game because they'd be required to be compatible with them. It'd help Sony succeed in both markets while also making the PS4 competition for the Wii U since it could do everything the Wii U can do and then some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They should bring back the Pocketstation too and have Tamagotchis running amok like it's 1999 all over again.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

I really don't think the vita should be the standard pack in controller like Nintendo is doing with the Wii U. Not only will it feel old and done but all we are going to get out of a launch line up are ported Wii U titles. It would just bring them down a notch for better games. I do feel it should be included as a controller option though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sounds like a brilliant idea. I mean, Move was the best copycat Sony ever released.

*crickets*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enmity View Post
    I really don't think the vita should be the standard pack in controller like Nintendo is doing with the Wii U. Not only will it feel old and done
    So we'll get ports of games that are already ports from the PS360?

Joking aside, and nice that Dangerboy left the snarky douchebag comment that he did since it helps with a reply, but how many ports from the Wii have we received since the Move was released(not counting multiconsole ports?) Very very few. Even with its lack of sales, the Move has had some of the better exclusive motion control games, and a lot of multiconsole titles between PS360 have been Move compatibility as well.

Also, in reply to the snarky comment. The Move only sold poorly because it was nothing more than an afterthought. People are well aware that the developer can't look at 60 million PS3s and say there are atleast 1/10 of that in each home, so knew that it was going to be poorly supported(like Sega with the Sega CD and 32X.) With the PS4/Vita, 60 million sales for the PS4 means that each of those should have atleast one Vita paired with it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-09-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm good with the Dualshock, personally. If they want to make the Vita a controller option, fine by me, but let's not drive up the base cost of just having a PS4 if we don't need to, particularly when the Dualshock is proven to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    [...]nice that Dangerboy left the snarky douchebag comment that he did since it helps with a reply[...]
    Pot, meet kettle.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I think it's a terrible idea personally. Especially with a Vita going for $300 at retail right now.

You'd lose a chunk of your potential customers to another console, because a lot of customers would go for the cheaper option where they're not getting a handheld that they don't want.

Alternatively, you'd piss off your Vita owners who paid full price for something you're giving away as part of a console package, and diminishing the perceived value of the handheld in the process.

Lets say it does work though, and you haven't lost any customers in the process. How many companies are going to make Vita specific games now that it's just a controller for a PS4? How many people would buy games for what they perceive as their controller? Again, I'm pissed off as a Vita owner that they killed my purchase.

The only way to go, as I see things now, is to have games where you can use the Vita optionally if you want to. That gives the Vita/PS4 owner a reward for brand loyalty essentially, without really affecting anyone else. And if you can come up with a killer game idea where it's essential to own a Vita, then you've just enticed a customer to purchase a second piece of hardware, which is never a bad thing.

Just my $0.02
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I'm good with the Dualshock, personally. If they want to make the Vita a controller option, fine by me, but let's not drive up the base cost of just having a PS4 if we don't need to, particularly when the Dualshock is proven to be reliable.

Pot, meet kettle.
    Yeah that's my opinion to, the Dualshock is a nice controller, but if they wanna make the Vita an optional controller, great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Sony is going to continue using the dual shock line they should go with that. I'm guessing it's fairly cheap for Sony to produce these controllers and in the end they don't want to drive up the price of PS4. I'd love to see M$ and Sony adopt Nintendo's support of legacy controllers (Wiimotes) on PS4 and Xbox 720. Dual Shock 3 and 360's controller with the nifty D-pad (is there a specific name for these?) are great, and the prospect of saving $50 buying a system-only bundle is attractive to me. I doubt that's going to happen, but you never know.

As for Vita needing sales, if they were included standard with PS4 you'd certainly have a larger installed base, but would people actually embrace Vita software in the face of shiny new offerings on their TV screen? I highly doubt that. Sony and M$ will do everything they can to compete on price since the era of $400 consoles (the low end) is likely over. Remember, Nintendo beat the shit out of both for a few years on price and novelty. They're not going to let that happen again. Beyond that, they have to compete with Google and Apple too. Android, and especially iOS, have drained dollars away from all traditional offerings.

I love Vita, but there's a fundamental issue: it was released in the wrong era. But I'm hopeful Sony will turn it around since I really want one.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Especially with a Vita going for $300 at retail right now.
    Basic Wi-Fi models are $250.

White Assassin's Creed bundle with game and memory card, also $250 at many locations.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it comes standard then a lot of games will intergrat Vita functions so when you break your vita controller you need to drop $200 on a replacement. Probably not a good idea.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As an idea it wouldn't work because Sony won't take that big of a hit on the PS4/Vita combo. So you'd once again be looking at a console with atleast a $450 price tag and the majority of people just aren't going to go for that in 2013. Now having the Vita as an optional controller would be ok but the Dualshock line should remain Sony's standard stock controller.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    If it comes standard then a lot of games will intergrat Vita functions so when you break your vita controller you need to drop $200 on a replacement. Probably not a good idea.
    It's the same as if you were to break your Wii U gamepad. In the US, gamepads aren't going to be offered at launch but they're $172 in Japan. In two years from now, the Vita should be selling for around the 3DS' current price, and maybe even less.

-

Also, the PS4 isn't going to be released anytime soon. A minimum of two years from now. By then the Vita should be less than $200 and early adopters of the Vita shouldn't have a reason to complain since they'd have three years out of the system before Sony even came up with the PS4 integrating both the console and portable together. With both costs of development between the Vita and what the rumored specs are for the PS4 development units, the prices to develop units of both console and portable should drop substantially up to that time period. If the PS4 isn't too much more powerful than the Wii U which is what everyone is assuming, then there's a possibility we could see a low cost release of the PS4/Vita combo judging by how much Nintendo is selling the replacement controller for and how much they're selling the whole hardware package for(low as in potentially $399 or so.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What they should do is partner with Fleshlight to design their next controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Having Vita as a control option for certrain games is definitely a good idea and will help to shift Vita units, but pack-in with the PS4? Nope. Recipe for disaster. The PS3 bombed at launch precisely because of its ridiculous high-end price tag. I remember buying mine (a 60GB model before you ask) off of ebay for roughly $125 lower than its RRP less than 2 weeks after the launch. Packing a Vita in with the PS4 would ramp up the price to those levels again- regardless of how much the Vita sells for by then- especially for those who already own one.

And if they had a Vita-less option for those who already owned the system? 99% of consumers would, in all likelihood, just buy that anyway.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    And if they had a Vita-less option for those who already owned the system? 99% of consumers would, in all likelihood, just buy that anyway.
    I know I would (and will, if the situation arises). I don't care if the Vita is going for $10 by the time the PS4 hits, I'd rather spend that $10 on something I actually want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Having Vita as a control option for certrain games is definitely a good idea and will help to shift Vita units, but pack-in with the PS4? Nope. Recipe for disaster. The PS3 bombed at launch precisely because of its ridiculous high-end price tag. I remember buying mine (a 60GB model before you ask) off of ebay for roughly $125 lower than its RRP less than 2 weeks after the launch. Packing a Vita in with the PS4 would ramp up the price to those levels again- regardless of how much the Vita sells for by then- especially for those who already own one.

Yeah packing the Vita in with the PS4 is a really dumb idea. Sony needs to keep the price of the PS4 down as much as possible, I'm thinking around $399 max.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think Sony is going to have another $600 console. So, they won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.