Thread: Sega Mega Drive 2 has purple flickering screen

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Mega Drive 2 has purple flickering screen

I bought a Mega Drive 2 a few days ago and found there was a problem with the display. The screen is purple and blurry with occasional flickering. At first I thought it was a bad RF cable so I ordered a new AV scart cable off amazon. Got it today, hooked it up, and I still get the same problem. I've deep cleaned the motherboard and cartridge slot, so all I can think is that there's something wrong with the AV socket itself.

Oddly, Primal Rage displays normally on the game screen, but the menus have the same purple flickering graphics. I'm using an LCD flatscreen TV.

FYI, I have no soldering skills at all. If the console itself is broken in some way I wont be able to repair it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like a TV issue more than anything, modern TVs don't exactly play nice with certain consoles like the Genesis/MD. Do you have another TV to try it on?
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've not been able to tune it into our CRT TV, but I dont think that's the problem. I bought an AV cable so I could plug the console into the SCART port on my TV, so it isnt a cable problem like I originally thought. And if I mess with the jack, sometimes the display will show normally, but within a few seconds, it'll turn back purple again. I think it's the AV port on the motherboard thats causing the issue. I'd try reflowing the solder joints but dont have any experience doing repairs like that.

EDIT: False alarm. I dug my old CRT portable TV out of the attic and hooked my MD up to it, and it's fine. Switched it back over to my LCD and back again to make sure it wasn't a fluke. So I guess it was just a compatibility issue with my TV. Confused as to why that would happen when I bought an AV cable so I could plug it directly into the SCART port, but ah well, live and learn I guess. Least my console works properly.
    Last edited by Omega_X_; 11-14-2012 at 11:42 AM.