Thread: CFW on a PSP Go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default CFW on a PSP Go

Apologies if this has been covered many times already, but searching the board for three-letter acronyms has never worked very well.

I manged to get a dirt-cheap PSP Go recently, which has firmware 5.70 on it presently. What would be the best way to get custom firmware on it?

I found some perfectly-reasonable looking instructions at http://wololo.net/installing-pro-cfw-on-a-psp-go/ , but I'm concerned there might be something else I should know.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Just follow the instructions and you're good to go. Get on official firmware 6.60, then open the CFW file on your game menu. I'm not sure if they're making the most recent firmware permanent though. The first available Go CFW wasn't permanent, so you had to load it up each time your PSP went from off(not sleep) to on. Check this by checking your firmware once you install the firmware, turn the system off/on, then check again to see if the firmware is still active or if it went back to official 6.60. If it's not permanent, just make sure you keep the CFW loader on your memory stick.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Reloading it only takes a few seconds anyway, right? That doesn't sound so bad.

By the way, internal memory will work just as well as a "memory stick", right?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Yes and yes. It'll work regardless if you have a memory stick or only the 16GB flash memory. Also won't take very long to open the CFW but still check once doing it whether it's permanent or not.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-14-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Reloading it only takes a few seconds anyway, right? That doesn't sound so bad.

By the way, internal memory will work just as well as a "memory stick", right?
    Yeah, I would keep it stock and just do the rebooting. That's what I do and there's no reason to override the official firmware completely if you can handle the 30s it take to reboot into homebrew mode. Even then, the PSP normally suspends whenever you close it, so even though I put CFW on my PSP Go over 6 months ago I've only had to run the rebooter like twice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All right, that's finally sorted.

Next question: what do you use to get PSX games running? Again, I found this guide, but the progress bar in the GUI freezes up early in the process. Task Manager suggests that the game is no longer reading or writing data after a while, but CPU usage continues to max out. Fortunately, if I kill the task afterwards the resulting eboot still seems to work.

I had been hoping to get Skullmonkeys working for starters, but it seems that one is inherently problematic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Here's the newest version of PSX2PSP. It's pretty simple though. Rip the game of your choice(each disc because you can create multi disc eboot files,) add an icon0 and a pic1 for the icon and background. Maybe add a music file if you want to hear it repeat a certain music track or part of a music track. Then convert it to an Eboot. I haven't had an issue giving each game max compression.

http://dl.qj.net/psp/tools-utilities...2psp-v142.html

Allmost all games work, but some don't.

Even if they do work, some still have problems. For example. Brigandine has a good portion of its music pulled from the disc since it's one of the games you can listen to in a CD Player, so when ripping it and playing the game as an Eboot file, that music doesn't play during the game. If you're trying to load your game, the title screen always wants to skip to the move one second after showing the menu, so you need to be extremely quick about it. Not a big problem, but still.

http://psxeboots.com/pops-compatibility-list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Here's the newest version of PSX2PSP. It's pretty simple though. Rip the game of your choice(each disc because you can create multi disc eboot files,) add an icon0 and a pic1 for the icon and background. Maybe add a music file if you want to hear it repeat a certain music track or part of a music track. Then convert it to an Eboot. I haven't had an issue giving each game max compression.

http://dl.qj.net/psp/tools-utilities...2psp-v142.html
    Actually, that download was one of the first I found. For some reason the version in the link in the guide I posted works better even though they both seem to be 1.4.2. (If nothing else, this one is missing base.pbp, which is apparently vital to getting it to work.)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I had been hoping to get Skullmonkeys working for starters, but it seems that one is inherently problematic.
    Yeah. That always bummed me out, and the PSP hack community never did get that one working AFAIK.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"