Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U REVIEW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    As a full-time professional writer, the point is to write what my editors want to the best of my ability and in turn get paid.
    You're obviously content with your horseshit, so have it.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    You're obviously content with your horseshit, so have it.
    Ease up, Cowboy, trying to have a polite conversation here. Once you write your pithy, spec-spouting review of the Wii U, please post a link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ease up, Cowboy, trying to have a polite conversation here. Once you write your pithy, spec-spouting review of the Wii U, please post a link.
    I'm being polite, partner. Your tone, however, is anything but. How many more times will you remind us in your condescending tone that YOU'RE the professional writer here? I know we're all helmets and drools cups on DP, but don't preach to me while you attempt to swing your dick around. No one is impressed.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I'm being polite, partner. Your tone, however, is anything but. How many more times will you remind us in your condescending tone that YOU'RE the professional writer here? I know we're all helmets and drools cups on DP, but don't preach to me while you attempt to swing your dick around. No one is impressed.
    With "Cowboy," "horseshit," and "pardner," I'm digging the Western theme. I mentioned that I'm a writer twice, which I guess now makes three times.

Actually, most DPers know more about modding systems, specs, computer programming, and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure I know more about writing for a family newspaper.

I'm done. Y'all have fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With "Cowboy," "horseshit," and "pardner," I'm digging the Western theme. I mentioned that I'm a writer twice, which I guess now makes three times.

Actually, most DPers know more about modding systems, specs, computer programming, and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure I know more about writing for a family newspaper.

I'm done. Y'all have fun.
    Y'all come back now, ya hear?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As a full-time professional writer, the point is to write what my editors want to the best of my ability and in turn get paid.

Seems like your editors wanted a fluff piece on the WiiU to sell ad space. Well Done Sir!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038 View Post
    Seems like your editors wanted a fluff piece on the WiiU to sell ad space. Well Done Sir!
    I said I was done, but I have to respond to this nonsense. My review was not an ad--I simply enjoyed playing the system. I queried the editors about reviewing the system, and they thought it was a good, timely topic. If I had not liked the system, I would have said so in the review, and the editors would have had no problem with that. (This isn't exactly what you are saying, but the implication is there).
    Last edited by 8bitgamer; 11-16-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brett,

To be honest, as I read your article yesterday, in the back of my mind I was thinking that it sounded so much like you were sucking up to Nintendo. But I know you and knew that wasn't the case. You were just very enthusiastic about it. And there lies the dillema. How does a writer convey that he actually likes something without appearing to be writing what he thinks people want to read?
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nintendo re-invents the wheel yet again--it's hard to complain.

I could've mentioned the lack of a 3D Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game at launch, but those games will come out eventually--23 titles, including several must-owns--is a pretty good launch. I could've gone with the "old man speech" about one joystick and a single fire button, but who cares? I could've mentioned that the console is only marginally more powerful than the 360 or the PS3, but who cares? The play is the thing, and the games I played were great.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, harsh.

This guy wrote an article to be published in a non-gaming publication for a non-gamer audience. No gamer is going to the daily newspaper for the kind of information they want. This article was written for the christmas list totting soccer moms out there wondering what to get little Johnny for a present.

To those who seem to want some hard-hitting, technical and scholarly work: It's a freaking newspaper! Newspapers don't present that kind of information on ANY topic really. It's just not what they do....

I agree that video game criticism/journalism is in a sad state but this article is neither a symptom nor a cause of that particular disease.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Yeah, when I first read it, like many others have stated, I felt that it was a weak review. However after seeing Frankie's, and other talking points, it's not bad for what it is. It is an article for the general audience. What may upset some on here is the fact that you posted it on a gaming forum where we expect a more detailed analysis of the system and comparison. If you stated the context of what you were doing on here before we clicked on the link, we might have had a more nonobjective take on it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

From the review:

"... gamers can employ the GamePad touchscreen to browse programming from such subscriber-based services as Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video, along with cable and satellite TV."

None of that functionality is live.

Also, backwards compatibility requires a day 1 update. Seems important.

Read more he

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    "... gamers can employ the GamePad touchscreen to browse programming from such subscriber-based services as Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video, along with cable and satellite TV." None of that functionality is live. Also, backwards compatibility requires a day 1 update. Seems important.
    True enough: the TV listings stuff will be available in December, and the rest (Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video) "sometime later."

I think the Star Telegram article was a good column for what it was meant to be: more of an informative overview rather than an in-depth review.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Read the review and thought it was fine. I was however very disappointed with some of the other member's responses. Someone shares something, have some manners. Some members need to have some class....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

This thread was more informative then the article.

Good read. Thanks go out to the authors.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Read the review and thought it was fine. I was however very disappointed with some of the other member's responses. Someone shares something, have some manners. Some members need to have some class....

It was called out for what it is. Checks and balances. Most sites editorial policies held their reviews until the embargo, which also included the online functionality. This did neither, nor was it a review.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Well I was at best buy today scouting out the tv i am gonna buy on black friday (or should i say attempt to buy) and went through the games section and saw they had the Wii U running so I gave it whirl. The only game i guess available for play on in is Rayman Legends. So tried it out. The controller actually while still feeling some what ackward in my hand to me wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be but i'd be interested in going to a friends place and trying to play a game for a long period of time with it.
    The whole touch screen gimmick to me seems just that a Gimmick. I was not a fan of it on the DS and not fan of it here. I personally don't see the true reason of it. It just seems like more thing wasting electricity and one more thing that can break. but whatever.
    The graphics are really good on the system imo. Once again I could only play that game but looked clean and crisp as can be although I feel like why even bother with the tv when it seems like the controller can project the image just as crystal clear as the tv can onto it and its a good size screen too not some puny lil screen ya gotta squint at.

All in all from what I played on it. I would give the console a 5/10. Not bad really but wayyyyyyy to gimmicky to me. Alot of unneeded things involved then I think there should be. If it was me I would have scrapped the controller and gone back to basics. But thats just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After reading the review, I got the impression the author hadn't even played the system, and simply copied generic information off other websites.

I've seen more in depth reviews on my Facebook feed.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For those of you who "get" what a piece (which had a strict word limit) about a new system for a mainstream, all-ages audience looks like, thanks for weighing in.

For those who hurled slings and arrows, if I die from those wounds, you can put this on my epitaph: Here lies (insert expletive here)--he dared to play the latest Nintendo system, thoroughly enjoy it, and write about it for a family newspaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

After reading the article, I think I've realized why there are many that are not in favor of the "review".

It's not a bad "review", however it's more of an informative, technically inclined article than an actual review. An article whose purpose is to push sales forward, making sure the system sells specially during the holiday season. It also makes you wonder how much the author got paid for the article. It is more of a big promotion than an actual review. There is very little opinion (which is basically what a review is) and more sales and technical jargon inclined article. The purpose is clearly to push more units during the holiday season. So basically it is just that: an article, not a review.

Is it bad? Oh no, not at all. But I really wouldn't call it a review by any stretch. It's basically a summary of info one would find in several places on the internet, all consolidated into an article to, once again, in order to push units during the holiday season. Perhaps the author was being forced by the administration to write a "review" with the intention to make the unit seem more attractive. Maybe the company got a royalty for said article. Who knows...I certainty don't know. But it would not surprise me. This is something I would see in MSDN Tech Net from Microsoft and on a newspaper, which ironically is the target audience is this case (even if it's just an "e-newspaper"). If it was for a dedicated video game magazine, like Game Informer or a video game dedicated site like Kotaku, the article would definitely seem out of place.

This is not a review. It's a "sales-inclined" article. An advertisement. But it's not a review, or at least lacks anything conclusive that would make it be viewed as such. But since it's not for a video game magazine or related website, I would let it pass.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!