Thread: Convertors!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kepone
    Did anyone mention this?

NES

Famicom adaptor. Cheap. Can be found in some earlier NES games like Gyromite. You open up the game, take it off and use it.

Just wondering. Wasn't sure if anyone had mentioned it.
    Yeah, finding those things can be easy if you use this technique.

http://www.planetnintendo.com/thewarpzone/famadapt.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, double post...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two for the NES that have not yet been mentioned:

Magic Key: Similar to the Game Key adaptor, allows you to play US NTSC games on your PAL system. It is shaped like a Game Genie, and thus very similar to one of the Game Key variants.

Family Adaptor (Honey Bee): this Famicom-to-NES converter is unlike the common Family Converter from Honey Bee. It comes in the size of a whole cartridge with a small extension in which the Famicom cartridge is plugged into. Compared to the Family Converter and other half-cartridge sized Famicom-to-NES converters, the Family Adaptor is inferior as its connection piece on the top is not very sturdy, and of course due to its larger size.

-Speedy
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Anyone hear of this N64 adapter in this auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEBI:IT
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

probably simple passthrough adapter to bypass the physical tabs...

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a question about the Dreamcast Gameshark CDX.

Will it work with PAL games? I've been eyeing a fairly reasonably priced Shenmue II that's been rotting away on a shelf at a local game shop, and if my Gameshark will indeed play PAL games, I believe that copy of Shenmue II will be mine.

Information please.

Thanks.
    sailorneorune
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    any idea how to use this thing?

cheers
    dunno if it's been said, but these also let you play imports (and backups). they usually come with a spring to hold the button inside the disc door down. if not, just jam something in there. basically i think what you do is start the psx with a legit game in and the cart switched on, put your import in, then start the game through the menu. if yours doesnt support that, either get one which does, or i can reflash them here, as i have a pc isa card to match these game enhancers. i wont charge for it, all you gotta do is pay shipping to australia and back again.

if you have one of these which does nothing, or crashes the psx, it is entirely possible the bios is corrupt, reflashing it can also fix this.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

mate I'm in Sydney.

it's good mate, That thing works fine.
    I do get another one called Gold Finger that apart from running "backups" also let you play gameboy roms... ???
    No idea how to use that feature though...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well, I'm suprised nobody's mentioned this yet because it's the best damn 60-72 pin famicom/nes adapter I've owned!

This is a GoldenKey 72-60 pin nes/famicom adapter by Sachen. There's a dip switch on the back of the adapter and the box says it will play PAL carts also. I didn't have any PAL carts to test, but it worked just fine playing famicom games in my toaster and top loader. It's got a nice solid handle for yanking it out of toasters with those death grip replacement pin connectors you find on Ebay!

I don't know who makes this nes/famicom adapter. Just says T89 on it. Has a nice ribbon to it, but I don't push my luck with it and only use it on my top loader. Works perfect for me.

This is the Game Saver by Naki. It let's me play SFC carts on my SNES just fine, but doesn't let me play PAL carts. The really weird thing is that it won't play Captain Novolin either! Don't know why it refuses to play a North American cart on a SNES.

This is a HoneyBee adapter for the SNES and is my favorite by far! This thing plays SFC and PAL carts without any problem. Just needs a North American cart to be plugged in also and it works every time!

This is a Wonder adapter for the N64. Don't know who makes it. Just a simple pass thru device that let's me play my entire collection of Japanese N64 games (all four!) on my N64. Works everytime!

For the Sega Genesis I have this Super Mega Key by Realtec. It has dip switches on the back that let's me play both Japanese and PAL Mega Drive carts with lockout chips. I tested it with a Genny 1, Genny 2, and a CDX and it works excellent with all three.

For the Sega Saturn I have something called Ultra Madness. It has a dip switch that changes it from 1mb to 4mb Ram. Never had a box to it, so I don't know who makes it. Let's me play Japanese Saturn games on my North American system without any cheat code nonsense.

For the Sega Dreamcast I have a Paradise CD Loader. I have a suspicion that this is simply a Utopia boot disk that has been packaged and sold. It works playing Japanese Dreamcast games on my North American system and that's all I care about.

For the Playstation I have something called a Boot Disk. Really nice product that works playing both Japanese and PAL games with my PlayStations and PSOne's. It doesn't change the output of PAL games, but does load them without a hitch. Very simple to use and comes with a spring for PlayStations and a stick-on latch tab for PSOne's. Plus, this company has it's own web site that has tons of patches for those who care to burn a copy of thier game and alter region codes or add cheats codes built in. Excellent product!

And last but not least is something I just picked up a week or two ago to kick around and try out. It's a PAL to NTSC output converter by May Flash. It seems to do everything but change the 50hz signal to 60hz. In other words you get color and Y positioning corrected, but the screen still rolls. It's actually very primitive and only works with composite cables, but I wanted to see what would happened if I used it. There's an alternate version too that converts NTSC to PAL. As I'm just now beginning to understand, PAL region TV's are much more flexible about changes in Hz and this works much better for them. There are far more expensive and capable products out there to convert PAL signals for NTSC TV's and there are also Multisystem TV's for sale here that accept PAL signals for anyone who's serious about it. Did I learn anything from my little experiment? Well, yes actually! I found that if I put the PAL game's display in my PIP while using this converter, the color and Y position was corrected and the roll disappeared! Very strange! Not an ideal solution, but interesting none the less!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    This is a Wonder adapter for the N64. Don't know who makes it. Just a simple pass thru device that let's me play my entire collection of Japanese N64 games (all four!) on my N64. Works everytime!
    Aye! I have the same thing to play US carts on JPN Skeleton/Grey N64

For the Sega Genesis I have this Super Mega Key by Realtec. It has dip switches on the back that let's me play both Japanese and PAL Mega Drive carts with lockout chips. I tested it with a Genny 1, Genny 2, and a CDX and it works excellent with all three.
    Mine says MagickKey III and comes in different packaging.
    Maybe updated version?
    Since having only JPN carts never used it on my Sega Wondermega...

For the Sega Saturn I have something called Ultra Madness. It has a dip switch that changes it from 1mb to 4mb Ram. Never had a box to it, so I don't know who makes it. Let's me play Japanese Saturn games on my North American system without any cheat code nonsense.
    I used to use EMS 4-1+ cart though now using region moded JPN Saturn.

For the Sega Dreamcast I have a Paradise CD Loader. I have a suspicion that this is simply a Utopia boot disk that has been packaged and sold. It works playing Japanese Dreamcast games on my North American system and that's all I care about.
    I chipped mine for the convenience sake.
    I do have CodeBreaker but it's pain in the backside to use the boot disc.

For the Playstation I have something called a Boot Disk. Really nice product that works playing both Japanese and PAL games with my PlayStations and PSOne's. It doesn't change the output of PAL games, but does load them without a hitch. Very simple to use and comes with a spring for PlayStations and a stick-on latch tab for PSOne's. Plus, this company has it's own web site that has tons of patches for those who care to burn a copy of thier game and alter region codes or add cheats codes built in. Excellent product!
    I have green DebugStation so no need for the boot disc.
    Though I actually use chipped PS1 for play most of time.

And being in PAL land our TV supports PAL/NTSC and anything in between. No need for signal converter...
    Though I use RGB->YUV transcoder for those consoles I have the RGB cables for...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

Well, I've been reading up on the Swap Magic and flip top mod for PS2. Anyone have any problems with it? I'm hoping to play Vampire Chronicles, KOF, and new stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gencoil
    I never understood why this track was called "Last Springsteen". Then it hit me, Bruce Springsteen goes under the nickname "The Boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Of all the different converters that will let you play Japanese Hucards on a US system, does anyone know which is best for a Laseractive with the NEC module? Some of them look like they wouldn't even fit, the diving board kind looks like it would work but I'm afraid it's not going to be sturdy.

I didn't even care until I found out about Battle Lode Runner. Four-player Lode Runner? I’m all over that!
    i'd be interested what kisado(?) converter looks like?
    I already have two different types of converters.

cheers
    That's not a Kisado, THIS is a KISADO! (sorry 56k!)

Actually, the converter Tron 2.0 has pictured is the Mirai Adapter. They were manufactured relatively recently, I believe in Australia, for TZD from custom made parts. Thus the high price. The Kisado was conceived and manufactured by David Shadoff. Not sure how many are out there, but they are definitely on the rare and expensive side. TZD recently had a few they found up on their site for $149.99. I had one in the mid-'90s that I ended up selling for what I paid ($34.99) on the Turbolist. BIG mistake. Yeah, I spent the $150 at TZD to replace it. I know that I could/should have just gotten the Mirai, but I just had get that Kisado back. It was an obsession.

The Kisado is near 100% effective. Worth the price if you need to play the Arcade Card. Can't vouch for the Mirai, though I'm sure it's great and leagues better than the Purple Barney or the Green Diving Board.

Here is another picture of the Kisado (with game inserted):

Last edited by klausien; 04-19-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have recently received an Action Replay 4-in-1 for the Saturn... I have this and an ST Key. Is the AR supposed to have a switch of some kind between the 1M and 4M settings? I tried to use this in my Saturn and nothing works (testing with Vampire Savior and X-Men vs. Street Fighter). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -sailorneorune

P.S. The ST Key works.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Of all the different converters that will let you play Japanese Hucards on a US system, does anyone know which is best for a Laseractive with the NEC module? Some of them look like they wouldn't even fit, the diving board kind looks like it would work but I'm afraid it's not going to be sturdy.

I didn't even care until I found out about Battle Lode Runner. Four-player Lode Runner? I’m all over that!
    i'd be interested what kisado(?) converter looks like?
    I already have two different types of converters.

cheers
    That's not a Kisado, THIS is a KISADO! (sorry 56k!)

Actually, the converter Tron 2.0 has pictured is the Mirai Adapter. They were manufactured relatively recently, I believe in Australia, for TZD from custom made parts. Thus the high price. The Kisado was conceived and manufactured by David Shadoff. Not sure how many are out there, but they are definitely on the rare and expensive side. TZD recently had a few they found up on their site for $149.99. I had one in the mid-'90s that I ended up selling for what I paid ($34.99) on the Turbolist. BIG mistake. Yeah, I spent the $150 at TZD to replace it. I know that I could/should have just gotten the Mirai, but I just had get that Kisado back. It was an obsession.

The Kisado is near 100% effective. Worth the price if you need to play the Arcade Card. Can't vouch for the Mirai, though I'm sure it's great and leagues better than the Purple Barney or the Green Diving Board.

Here is another picture of the Kisado (with game inserted):

Well i didn't know they look "similar" to me no wounder i got them confuse.

Heck, TZD never bother to listed what type of converter it was in the frist place.

Dunno still i find spending $ for a converter is a waste these days.

I find having a region switch put in for a duo or a tg16 a lot cheaper.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorneorune
    I have recently received an Action Replay 4-in-1 for the Saturn... I have this and an ST Key. Is the AR supposed to have a switch of some kind between the 1M and 4M settings? I tried to use this in my Saturn and nothing works (testing with Vampire Savior and X-Men vs. Street Fighter). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -sailorneorune

P.S. The ST Key works.
    With the 4M plus it's supposed to auto-detect. When it's properly inserted you'll get a screen when you start up your Saturn. There's some menu options and a Start Game option. If you don't get this screen, restart the Saturn after plugging the 4M plus in again. Otherwise, you may have a broken 4M plus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Anyone know where to buy the n64 Wonder Adapter (rather then cutting the tabs out of the cart slot)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Anyone know where to buy the Wonder Adapter for the N64 (rather then cutting the tabs out of the console)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Anyone know where to buy the N64 Wonder Adapter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Anyone know where to get the N64 Wonder Adapter then?

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    Anyone know where to get the N64 Wonder Adapter then?
    I got mine at a thrift store.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta