Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Convertors!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Anyone use "Super Game Converter" for Dreamcast? Seems like it's a simple boot disc to let you swap to your Japanese DC game. I do not intend to ever try PAL region games, so if someone can confirm its compatibility with typical Japanese DC imports, that'd be great.

I already got an American DC really cheap and it doesn't make sense to get the Japanese one really.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Milk Thistle's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    Anyone use "Super Game Converter" for Dreamcast? Seems like it's a simple boot disc to let you swap to your Japanese DC game. I do not intend to ever try PAL region games, so if someone can confirm its compatibility with typical Japanese DC imports, that'd be great.

I already got an American DC really cheap and it doesn't make sense to get the Japanese one really.
    All of the bootdiscs (official or homebrew like Utopia) will do the same thing, they bypass the country bios.

The only games they won't boot is anything that uses Windows CE to run. Like Sega Rally 2 and Wild Metal. My American Dreamcast died years ago, and I've had to run everything off my Japanese DC via bootdisc, and I've unfortunately lost the ability to run those games.

And you're right, no reason to get an import DC unless you want to see both hooked up.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cant you download utopia for free and burn it to a cd-r?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Milk Thistle's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    cant you download utopia for free and burn it to a cd-r?
    Yes, and among other loaders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi,
    I'm new here so be nice
    I've got an NTSC SNES (I'm in the UK but prefer the NTSC machine) but I'm having real trouble finding a copy of Parodius that's NTSC (or NTSC-J and cheap), I can find a PAL one no problem, do any or all the converters out there work on NTSC machines to play PAL games or will Parodius give me speed problems if it's a PAL version running through NTSC (I presume it doesn't have any special chips, FX etc.)? Ebay is full-ish of "universal converters" but as they all seem to be in the UK I wasn't sure if they are PAL to NTSC only or vice versa or both?

I've de-lugged it to play NTSC-J games by the way, if that helps point me in the right direction.

I knew I should of kept my old SNES's, both PAL and NTSC

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It's easier to play NTSC games on a PAL system, than the other way. Converters that only bypass lockout still won't enable titles who block 60hz...

You won't find an ideal converter easily. Not enough market for them. Thanks to the ease of using Japan games on an American model, and few foreign exclusives Japanese owners care about.

The crucial question here is whether PAL Parodius will boot in NTSC video. If so almost any converter should work. I'm not aware of it using the wider pin connector like Star Fox/etc.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post

I use that stuff

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Convertors!

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    First.....topic....so.....difficult!

Ok...as you all may know, there are a ton of different convertors for your importing needs for most systems! This thread can be to discuss the merits of the different convertors and their costs, dowsides, etc! For starters, I'll list the few I have, and what they do and such:

Genesis/Mega Drive:

Mega Key (black w/yellow label) - The Mega Key is a wonderful all-in-one convertor for the Mega Drive. It unlocks PAL as well as NTSC Jp games for any Genesis, including the Sega CDX! Very nice convertor, passthrough with dip switches. Downside - They're kinda hard to find and kinda spendy. Price - $50-60 average, but can be had as low as $20-30 if you're lucky

Skeleton Convertor - The skeleton convertor for the Mega Drive is a straight passthough convertor that allows you to play Jp Mega Drive games on a US system. No goodies, no perks, just Jp games. It's got no case, so it's not pretty, but it works! Downside - No PAL support. Price - $20-30 usually, sometimes more, sometimes less

NES:

Honeybee convertor - The most common convertor I've ever seen....has a 60-72 pin convertor in it, stragiht passthrough, so you just pop a Famicom cart on, pop it in your NES, and you're good to go! These are VERY common, as well as there being a bunch of knockoff ones, so easy to come by. They have a ribbon to allow you to pull the convertor and game out so that it doesn't get stuck inside your NES (unless you have a top loader, then no worries). Downside - Really isn't one! Price - $5-10, don't overpay for these!

Saturn:

ST-Key - The ST-Key is one of the easier convertors to get. It pops in the memory card slot of your Saturn. Then when you turn the Saturn on, it goes to a boot screen for the ST-Key, you select Start Application from the main Saturn menu, and you're playing imports! Easy to use, easy to find. Downside - With the straight ST-Key, you can't play imports that require the RAM expansion, and you can only save to internal memory, which isn't so useful if your battery is dead! Price - $10-15, also very inexpensive!

TG16/Duo:

TV Game Computer Cartridge Convertor - This is one of the less well known Duo/TG16 convertors. It comes in black and white. The black is smaller and only fits TG16 systems, while the white is taller and fits the Duo slot if you remove the huCard lid. Basically, pop this into the TG16/Duo port and put a Jp huCard into it and it'll play it! The TV GCCC convertors are a funny shape, but not nearly as irritatingly long as the "diving board" convertors also available for the TG16/Duo. Downside - Good luck finding one...they're rare as hell, and sometimes huCards take a couple tries to seat properly in it. Price - $60-75 average, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, but don't expect to find one under $50!

That's all I've got for now, but as I get more, or more info, I'll list more of em! Feel free to add more convertors to the list, along with your thoughts on em!
    Where do you find honey bee 60 to 72 pin convertors for $5 to $10? A link would help'thanks! If anyone has one at that price I'd love to get one. PM me PLEASE!
    Last edited by thegamezmaster; 05-24-2015 at 01:29 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

That post was from 2003, so the market is not the same.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    That post was from 2003, so the market is not the same.
    Sorry didn't see the date. Still want one if anyone if anyone has one reasonnally priced. Please PM me.!