Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top imports - Sega Saturn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Top imports - Sega Saturn

What imports do you really recommend? For the Saturn, I'm a bit biased towards shmups, so my list is mostly those and beat em ups, but here's what's tops on my list (all of these are Jp imports):

Tenchi Wo Kurau 2 (Warriors of Fate, Dynasty Wars 2): Awesome Capcom beat em up....kinda like Dynasty Warriors 2 but in sprites! Very fun, very frantic....great stuff!

Soukyugurentai (Terra Diver): Otherwise known as the game no one can pronounce, Soukyugurentai is an unbelievable vertical shmup! Fast, well designed, and requiring thought as well as twitch reflexes, this one has it all if you dig shmups! Neat targeting system too, kinda like that weird gun in Thunderforce V!

Guardian Force: Little known tank shmup for the Saturn. Great weapons, good pacing, and it's cool to drive fast tanks, not to mention the giant death yoyo weapon! Good stuff, and not too spendy.

Donpachi : Ancestor to the FAR more well known Dodonpachi, this is afun little mindless vertical shmup. It's fast, it's ALL in English, and it has some great voiceovers!

Dungeons & Dragons Collection: It's Tower of Doom for the CPS2 on one disc, and Shadows Over Mystaria for CPS2 on the other! It's the same as in the arcade, but unfortunately, not in English! So you dont' get the great cheesy story, and it's hard to tell what magic you're selecting, but it's the ONLY console port of the arcade game. The load times are minimal, but are between every section. We're talking 2-3 seconds at the most really, so it's not bad, but it does distract a tiny bit. Some people hate that, some don't. It's not cheap, but it's classic Capcom beat em up fun!

Puyo Puyo Sun: Compile puzzling at it's best. One of my favorite incarnations of Puyo Puyo, it has different powers for each character you select! Very cool!

Twinkle Star Sprites: 2 player puzzler that's also a shmup. Very strange, but you basically shoot enemies to send shots at your opponent, even dropping bosses at him/her with combos! Great game, but kinda spendy. The Saturn version has the most extras of any version.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Shining Force III: Scenario I and II are also considered two of the best import titles on the system... I'm dry otherwise

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoy my Jikkyou Powerful Puroyakyu 95 on the Saturn. But I would say that any Powerful Pro Baseball game on the SNES, PSX, or GBA would be my favorite imports

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metal Slug for the Saturn is the second best arcade transition to a console, just after the Neo Geo AES version.
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I really like the yellow or red label Mahjong games. I know I'm probably the only one, but hey... they're fun. Nothing like hearing the shame in the characters voice when you beat them, and they must remove some clothes!

That being said, the Saturn has too many great games to list! It really has some great fighters, shooters and lets not forget the puzzle games!!

If you don't have to own a Neo-Geo to play some great SNK fighters. The KOF series comes to mind plus Fatal Fury.

Plus, you can't help but love some Capcom goodness.

Let's see, puzzle games... what comes to mind.

Super Puzzle Fighter II X (yes I know other systems have this too)
    Cleopatra Fortune
    Puyo Puyo 2
    Baku Baku Animal
    Monster Slider
    Magical Drop III
    Many more, but most are the same type of game with different characters.

The Saturn is my favorite import system I own, with the PS2 and DC right behind it. Right now I have these import systems:

DC
    XBox
    PS2
    Saturn
    Turbo Duo
    Core Grafix
    GC
    Wonderswan

Plus the region free systems like the GG, GB/GBC/GBA and the NGPC. I have a few PS imports, but have not gotten into that system yet. Looking to get into the Nintendo systems soon, plus some Megadrive games too.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Baku Baku Animal
    ....or you can just get the american version of this game like I did. I do enjoy it though, it's also very fun in two player.

I'll second Metal Slug, it's far better than any of the PSX versions I've played so far.

And I'll add Prikura Daisakusen, but only if you find it for cheaper than its usual range ($60 - $80). I picked mine up for $45, and I still feel like I overpaid just a bit. It's a very fun isometric shooter, but it doesn't have a whole lot of replay value, and the controls are just slightly sluggish. I bought it because GameFan magazine acted like it was the second coming. If I had known about DP at the time, I'm sure I would have gone for a different import first, but PD is still something I would have eventually wanted to add to my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Vampire Savior
    King of Fighters '96 and '97
    Sega Ages Memorial Selection 1 & 2
    Capcom Generations 1-5
    Konami Antiques MSX Collection
    Sexy Parodius

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Oh my God....Policenauts. Duh.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

My favorite Saturn import is Radiant Silvergun. I always wanted the game, finally got it earlier this year, and have played it almost exclusively on my Saturn ever since. It's one of the best SHMUPS I've EVER played.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Battle Garegga is also a desireable Saturn import.. as are a lot of the JAP Saturn shmups, ie.

Stellar Assault SS, Hyper Duel, (Do)Donpachi, Strikers 1945, Thunderforce V, Gunbird, and maybe even Choaniki

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Radiant Silvergun is easily one of the top import saturn games, for a myriad of reasons.

For one thing, it commands one of the highest prices for a saturn import game, with it selling on ebay for $150+. This is even more amazing due to the fact that the game itself is uncommon. There are a lot of copies of this game floating around (there's almost always an auction for this game on ebay), and yet it still goes for over 150 bucks! I attribute this mostly to the unbelievable hype this game has garnered among gamers, which I'm still fairly convinced stem from the reviews that shot up when the game first came out, written by people who I'm fairly convinced never played the game at all. I'm referring to reviews of the game at 2 of the original shooting game webpages, namely the Starbase and Shmups! In addition, the Treasure fanboys really hype RSG... it's disturbing that they're still going at it with as much fervor as when it first came out.

Secondly, RSG is, indeed, a really good game. People overrate it heavily, but there's no denying the fact that it's a lot of fun. Don't tell me it's the best shooting game ever, though... it has an incredible amount of innovative concepts, but they're never fully explored within the length of the game, because the designers just crammed the whole game with boss fights! I will definitely nominate the game for best art direction, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Radiant Silvergun is at the top of my list, along with these:

Cyberbots: Capcom's robot-based fighter never got beyond location testing in American arcades, but the Saturn version does a great job of recreating the coin-op original. Great mech and character designs, loose-yet-enjoyable gameplay, and an actual story make this an unjustly obscure piece of Capcom history.

Policenauts: The follow-up to the digital comic classic Snatcher, it's perhaps more text-intensive than any other recommended import, but no game provides a better reason to learn Japanese.

Princess Crown: It may well be the single most gorgeous 2-D game I've ever seen, but there's an excellent action/RPG under the pretty hand-drawn art.

Tengai Makyo IV: As an RPG, it's decent, but the real charm of this one lies in its setting, a deliberately warped take on 19th century America. Nothing beats a Japanese actor trying to say "Alaska" in a Southern accent.

Sakura Wars: Part strategy/RPG, part dating simulator, and part anime series, the original SW is far more than the sum of its parts. The tactical portions are fun, the storyline's a interesting tale framed by a steampunk vision of early 20th century Japan, and the "dating" parts are tasteful and surprisingly fun.

Keio Yu Gekitai: A fun and uniquely Japanese platformer, this wasn't translated because American companies were dumb. Or perhaps because the game stars a girl in a bunny-waitress getup and would have sold all of twelve copies in the U.S. Take your pick.

Others: Vampire Savior, Soukyugurentai, Dodonpachi, Cotton 2 and Boomerang, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, and Batsugun.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I've got to go with RS myself, but Sexy Parodius, Capcom Generation 1-4 and Gunbird are high on my list as well.

Worth mentioning is Bulk Slash, a 3-D Hudson Soft adventure/shooter. For some reason, it reminds me of Armored Core, but it's a lot more "twitch" oriented and a lot more anime. You don't have to save up money to upgrade your mech, either - you just find powerups out in the field, plus you can transform from mech to ship at the touch of a button. I rarely see it mentioned anywhere, which is pretty sad, as it's a great game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keio Yu Gekitai
    This is not the same game as Keio Flying Squadron, is it? Because it stars the same character, but I would hardly call it a platformer.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Keio Yu Gekitai
    This is not the same game as Keio Flying Squadron, is it? Because it stars the same character, but I would hardly call it a platformer.
    It's the exact same title actually, Keio Flying Squadron. I would hardly call that a platformer, more of a schmup-like adventure. Keio is very good though, get it anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard
    Keio Yu Gekitai
    It's the exact same title actually, Keio Flying Squadron. I would hardly call that a platformer, more of a schmup-like adventure. Keio is very good though, get it anyway
    Ugh! Are you serious? What's the big deal about this game? I can't figure out what people like about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard
    Keio Yu Gekitai
    No, they are two different games. This is Keio Flying Squadron, a shooter which was released in the U.S. for the Sega CD.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/dezmoowu/Sega/keioad.jpg

And this is Keio Yu Gekitai: Katsugekihen, known as Keio Flying Squadron 2 in Europe, and often referred to as Keio Yu Gekitai.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~bevhome/keio2sale.htm

It includes a few shooting stages, but it's primarily a platformer. Here's a review.

http://www.geocities.com/opcfg3/keiossreview.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahhhhh....good. Now I understand.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I enjoyed KFS on the Sega CD, but it didn't really seem as wacky as I thought it would be. The story, on the other hand, is bizarre. I have yet to play the Saturn game, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As stated, Keio Yuugekitai is AWESOME. Hence, I picked it as my logo. Need to make an avatar out of it.

Skimming through the scans at my site, I'd say:

-Arcade Gears Wonder 3
    -Assault Suit Leynos 2
    -Astra Superstars (and I hate 2D fighting games)
    -Dracula X
    -D&D Collection
    -Elevator Action Returns
    -Space Harrier
    -Fantasy Zone
    -Game Tengoku
    -Nekketsu Oyako
    -Night Striker S
    -Princess Crown
    -Purikura Daisakusen
    -Sengoku Blade
    -Silhouette Mirage
    -Time Bokan: Bokan to Ippatsu (great shooter)