Thread: How much would you pay?

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question How much would you pay?

For a collection of 2000 classic video games, assuming that money was no object? This is just a hypothetical question about the current perceived value of a large game collection, so please don't ask me for more details, just post a dollar amount. I'm just curious what kinds of offers people would make here. I've been out of the gaming scene for a while, and lately I've noticed some very alarming price increases for just about everything related to classic gaming now, so I started wondering about it. I know it's hard to come up with an estimate for the value of a collection without more details beyond the number of games included in it, but this is just for fun, so take a wild guess at it! If you could pay anything for 2000 video game pigs in a poke, how much would you pay?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I would imagine with the average value of common cart only/disc only good games being $10 and sports games and junk games being $1, the average between the two extremes would be $5. $5 x $2000 is at least $10,000. You probably have at the very least $10,000 setting there doing nothing. Quite possibly more if you have boxes, manuals, rarities and mostly good stuff.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i will personally give you $10,000 in i owe you's right now....its just as good as money and i pinky swear i will pay you every dime

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without knowing anything about titles, condition, or for what systems....sight unseen....I'd pay $1 per game. $2000 plus shipping.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm not a gambling woman, so going in completely blind, I would say $2000-$4000 at the most. You wouldn't want to pay more than that if they ended up being all really common, cheap games. In this hypothetical situation, for all you know, it may be, say, a former retail/rental game store owner who has been liquidating stock and now is trying to get rid of the rejected leftovers in one fell swoop. Just because it's a large number of games, I wouldn't at all trust there to be good games of value mixed in there. Could just as well be loaded with dozens of dupes of sports games. You see that kind of stuff on eBay all the time. Like import sellers sometimes offer boxes of around 100 games for, say, Famicom or some such, they'll lay a few good games on top, and among the rest covered up underneath, there are like 20 copies of the same lame baseball game or something.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I don't know about that. The OP specifically said "A Collection" of 2000 games so I'm assuming there would be no dupes if it is an actual collection.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Without knowing the games included? Not one red cent. I don't want to end up with a lot consisting of 2000 ETs or something.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I would imagine with the average value of common cart only/disc only good games being $10 and sports games and junk games being $1, the average between the two extremes would be $5. $5 x $2000 is at least $10,000. You probably have at the very least $10,000 setting there doing nothing. Quite possibly more if you have boxes, manuals, rarities and mostly good stuff.
    Assuming this is a collecetion with basically no duplicates, I would probably agree with the above somewhat, but probably bump it down a hair if it's cart-only to maybe $8,000-9,000, but as said, if it included systems, boxes, manuals, etc..., then the price would just go up from there.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know what youre saying, and after people have been posting about stores over pricing and looking online for deals or going to stores for deals that its hard but possible. But for me I have to go with emulation for everything before PS2. Dreamcast and Japanese Saturn are sort of exceptions, but its getting to the point that its the only option. Games either cost too much or you need a new system to get them, and if you cant get a new system then your only chance is emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So many unknowns with the OP. I would guess that with this being someone's personal collection, it would not be loaded with 100 copies of Madden 96.

That said, and not knowing condition of said games without looking them over, $3,000 tops, sight unseen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No object but unable to see what all is there. Incapable of seeing any damages to the games, if they have manuals, boxes, other posters and junk. I'd go with a lower value bulk buy choice of like $2 to $3/per game offer. At 2000 games it's a given there will be a lot of awful sports and other funk titles that are hard sells even at $1 on ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For 2000 games labeled "classic" with no mention of titles or condition? One dollar maximum. Not only could they all be copies or duplicates of sports titles but like someone else said it could be 2000 unearthed copies of E.T. for the 2600 or some other equally rancid game.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 11-23-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Without knowing anything about it I'd guess $6000-$10000 would be fair, personally I wouldn't consider buying a lot without knowing what's included though.