Thread: PlayStation3 error (80010514) - My FAT PS3 won't play PS3 games

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Exclamation PlayStation3 error (80010514) - My FAT PS3 won't play PS3 games

So I have one of the original fat backward compatible model PS3s. I've own it since I guess the second year after the launch, but I've only used it to play PS2 games with. I've never played any PS3 games on it before -- I've loaded one, but never actually played one. Anyway, I finally decided to play a PS3 game, and so I put in Resistance: Fall of Man, and after starting a game and playing for a few minutes, my character gets gunned down and dies, and the screen goes black...and the game never comes back on.

After quite a few minutes I get an error message saying:

An error occurred during the start operation
    (80010514)

Suggested Actions

And after selecting 'Suggested Actions' there's the basic shit about checking your disc to make sure it's clean (which it is), etc.. I've seen different tutorial about file system restores and what not, and done it, but that doesn't solve the problem. It still plays PS2 games just fine, but I can't get it to play any of the PS3 games I've since tried. I did managed to start another game of Resistance a few hours later, but the exact same thing happened when I died. (how apropos)

I've seen tutorials saying to clean the Blu-Ray lens on the slimline models and that it fixes the problem, but I've read others comment elsewhere online saying that it's a recent firmware update problem. Does anyone here have any advice on his? Thanks.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The system restore, or whatever one just resets your settings to default but doesn't format your hard drive fixes some problems.

There was one time that every time I played PS2 games whenever I held the button down to quit, it'd just freeze on the quit screen with the music still playing. I had to hold the power button for it to beep a few times then turn off. So I asked Frankie and he said try that. Worked and I haven't had a problem quitting PS2 games since. Haven't had any problem since actually.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you just google 80010514, there are several videos and links with info on how to supposedly fix this issue. I've never had the problem, so I can't really say if any of them actually work, but check them out and see if any work for you. Good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    If you just google 80010514, there are several videos and links with info on how to supposedly fix this issue. I've never had the problem, so I can't really say if any of them actually work, but check them out and see if any work for you. Good luck.
    Yeah, that was the first thing that I did. I just wanted to know if anyone had any first hand or confirmed knowledge of how to fix this before I opened my system up.

There are three different reasons people are giving for the error (dirty lens, corrupted file system, and a firmware update conflict). I'd rather not open my system up if I don't have to, so I was wondering if there was any validity to the last suggestion, or if anyone here has cleaned their lens and gotten rid of the error on the FAT model PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It may be a problem with the blue diode dying out. The 60gig model had issues with the laser diode, since it had to work with regular DVDs as well as Blu-Ray discs. You could always try a CD lens cleaning disc first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    It may be a problem with the blue diode dying out. The 60gig model had issues with the laser diode, since it had to work with regular DVDs as well as Blu-Ray discs. You could always try a CD lens cleaning disc first.
    Yeah, I was trying to fish mine out, but I couldn't find it. I'll try to fine another later. Hopefully Walmart has one.

The system plays PS2 games flawlessly though.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Yeah, I was trying to fish mine out, but I couldn't find it. I'll try to fine another later. Hopefully Walmart has one.

The system plays PS2 games flawlessly though.
    When my 60gig model's Blu-Ray diode died, it continued to play DVDs flawlessly. They're separate diodes.

I never received an error message, though. It would simply spin forever without loading. It sounds like you have something a bit more serious going on.

Have you tried to load a Blu-Ray movie disc? If the problem is with your Blu-Ray diode, then you should have the same problem. If it turns out to be your BR diode, then you should be able to find a replacement online for relatively little cost, or if you aren't comfortable with replacing it yourself, there are plenty of stores that provide the service for around $150. I know that our local Play 'N Trade stores do so, for example.

EDIT: If you opt for having the diode replaced and don't mind spending a few extra dollars, you should have whoever performs the operation replace the thermal paste on your CPU and GPU while they're replacing the Blu-Ray. The factory paste is garbage, and replacing it with something better will help with heat and longevity issues.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 11-24-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thanks. I'll try a Blu-Ray movie and see what's what.

I'm not opposed to paying to have it fixed so long as it's a reliable fix, but fixing it myself isn't out of the question either so long as it's a fairly simple operation. I'm almost positive I'll get a slimline PS3 at some point. Again, I only use my 60GB PS3 one for up-scaling PS2 games, but I hate the idea of having a system that's gimped, even if it the broken features are those I never use.

BTW, it let me play Resistance: Fall of Man again last night, until I died...again. Then it's just a blank screen once more, and it never reloads the game.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Your ps3 just wants you to feel like you are playing a classic with brutal difficulty. NO DIEING!

Good advice above. Diode should be easy. New thermal paste is a great idea, but a little more skill required. Carefully watch several videos before you try that.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Thanks. I'll try a Blu-Ray movie and see what's what.

I'm not opposed to paying to have it fixed so long as it's a reliable fix, but fixing it myself isn't out of the question either so long as it's a fairly simple operation. I'm almost positive I'll get a slimline PS3 at some point. Again, I only use my 60GB PS3 one for up-scaling PS2 games, but I hate the idea of having a system that's gimped, even if it the broken features are those I never use.

BTW, it let me play Resistance: Fall of Man again last night, until I died...again. Then it's just a blank screen once more, and it never reloads the game.
    In case you were unaware (because this wasn't the case early on when they discontinued backwards compatible PS3s), Sony will repair/replace Playstation 3's with identical units sent in (unless you indicate that you want a newer model) when you utilize their repair service, so if you want to keep your backwards compatible PS3 you can have it serviced by Sony, there's no more reliable repair service available IMO.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    In case you were unaware (because this wasn't the case early on when they discontinued backwards compatible PS3s), Sony will repair/replace Playstation 3's with identical units sent in (unless you indicate that you want a newer model) when you utilize their repair service, so if you want to keep your backwards compatible PS3 you can have it serviced by Sony, there's no more reliable repair service available IMO.

That's funny, when I repaired my own unit last year, I did so because Sony very specifically told me, via email and phone, that they couldn't guarantee that I'd receive a backwards compatible unit. I'd only receive a backwards compatible unit if they happened to have one on hand when my own unit arrived.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If it's the diode, you can replace the whole drive for around $70. You just have to swap out the controller board from your dead drive, to the new one. It's not that difficult to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Blu...item4d0148ee6c

If it is not your BR drive, the error is said to be caused by a corrupt file on you HDD. You can do the following to repair that:

http://www.ps3blog.co.za/2008/04/10/...514-explained/

Ok so I’ve fixed my issue. I will run through what you will need to do to fix yours if you are having issues with the blu-ray drive and general PS3 system operations like the XMediaBar this is totally worth a shot … I doubt this will fix any other issue. If not then your blu-ray drive/ PS3 is probably dead and needs replacement via the method listed above or by sony.

If you can, I suggest you back up your PS3 first. The menu that you will access to can fully erase your PS3 if you choose the wrong option! I do not take any responsibility! Please proceed at your own risk! If you read and follow the instructions exactly you should not loose any data! Feel free to ask questions if you are confused so you don’t make a mistake!! Sorry, I had to say it, I don’t want anyone mad at me if they make a mistake, don’t back up their data and erase it, and then blame me…

The current version of the ps3 firmware has a “recovery console”.

You access it by

1. Start with having the system in standby (redlight is on)

2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.

3. Press and hold the power button again and keep holding, it will beep as it turns on and then it will double beep. When you hear the double beeps immediately take your finger off the power button (if your system turns off before you get a double beep just try again and hold the button, it should double beep the 2nd time you try)

4. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button

You will now have a screen with these options (I have attached a picture of this screen below)

1. Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
    2. Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
    CHOOSE THIS ONE 3.Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
    4. Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
    5. Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
    6. System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHOOSE THE WRONG OPTION HERE OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA. The one that fixed my blu-ray drive is option 3: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM

I REPEAT CHOOSE RESTORE FILE SYSTEM

After this, it is going to restart and bring up a screen reading something like “you have Corrupted System Data. Your PS will now replace this data” Then you choose continue and that should be it.

This option reinstalls the system files and drivers inside the PS3 with the original ones that are stored on your hard drive. In this case, it replaced a corrupted driver for the blu ray drive thus fixing my issue and hopefully yours!! This option will only replace all system files thus saving you from loosing any data that’s stored on your hard drive. Again this option does nothing to your hard drive it reads a file from the drive and rewrites it to the PS3 system.

If you want a more technical understanding of what this is really doing continue reading. DO NOT NEED TO READ THIS TO COMPLETE REPAIR. The PS3 does not boot from your hard drive as a computer does. It has a flash memory like a cell phone that stores all system files and system firmware updates that you get when the PS3 updates. This is why reformatting your hard drive will not fix your problem, none of the system files are stored on your hard drive (ex. XMB, system firmware, etc.) nor do they run from the drive.

However, your hard drive does contain a full backup of your SYSTEM files and thus when you choose option 3: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM it rewrites the original system files from your drive (which aren’t corrupted) back to the flash memory which is corrupted thus fixing the problem
    Last edited by Gamevet; 11-26-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    That's funny, when I repaired my own unit last year, I did so because Sony very specifically told me, via email and phone, that they couldn't guarantee that I'd receive a backwards compatible unit. I'd only receive a backwards compatible unit if they happened to have one on hand when my own unit arrived.
    I got mine replaced a little over a year ago and when I inquired what the process was for guaranteeing 1:1 model replacement/repair:

"We always repair or exchange for like kinds."

That's a quote directly from the email with the engineer I spoke with. Maybe they didn't clarify that they have to have like units in stock, but I got a launch 60GB unit back when I sent mine in.

Maybe they don't do that anymore, so, I guess YMMV.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"