Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Exclamation PlayStation3 error (80010514) - My FAT PS3 won't play PS3 games

So I have one of the original fat backward compatible model PS3s. I've own it since I guess the second year after the launch, but I've only used it to play PS2 games with. I've never played any PS3 games on it before -- I've loaded one, but never actually played one. Anyway, I finally decided to play a PS3 game, and so I put in Resistance: Fall of Man, and after starting a game and playing for a few minutes, my character gets gunned down and dies, and the screen goes black...and the game never comes back on.

After quite a few minutes I get an error message saying:

An error occurred during the start operation
    (80010514)

Suggested Actions

And after selecting 'Suggested Actions' there's the basic shit about checking your disc to make sure it's clean (which it is), etc.. I've seen different tutorial about file system restores and what not, and done it, but that doesn't solve the problem. It still plays PS2 games just fine, but I can't get it to play any of the PS3 games I've since tried. I did managed to start another game of Resistance a few hours later, but the exact same thing happened when I died. (how apropos)

I've seen tutorials saying to clean the Blu-Ray lens on the slimline models and that it fixes the problem, but I've read others comment elsewhere online saying that it's a recent firmware update problem. Does anyone here have any advice on his? Thanks.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The system restore, or whatever one just resets your settings to default but doesn't format your hard drive fixes some problems.

There was one time that every time I played PS2 games whenever I held the button down to quit, it'd just freeze on the quit screen with the music still playing. I had to hold the power button for it to beep a few times then turn off. So I asked Frankie and he said try that. Worked and I haven't had a problem quitting PS2 games since. Haven't had any problem since actually.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you just google 80010514, there are several videos and links with info on how to supposedly fix this issue. I've never had the problem, so I can't really say if any of them actually work, but check them out and see if any work for you. Good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    If you just google 80010514, there are several videos and links with info on how to supposedly fix this issue. I've never had the problem, so I can't really say if any of them actually work, but check them out and see if any work for you. Good luck.
    Yeah, that was the first thing that I did. I just wanted to know if anyone had any first hand or confirmed knowledge of how to fix this before I opened my system up.

There are three different reasons people are giving for the error (dirty lens, corrupted file system, and a firmware update conflict). I'd rather not open my system up if I don't have to, so I was wondering if there was any validity to the last suggestion, or if anyone here has cleaned their lens and gotten rid of the error on the FAT model PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It may be a problem with the blue diode dying out. The 60gig model had issues with the laser diode, since it had to work with regular DVDs as well as Blu-Ray discs. You could always try a CD lens cleaning disc first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    It may be a problem with the blue diode dying out. The 60gig model had issues with the laser diode, since it had to work with regular DVDs as well as Blu-Ray discs. You could always try a CD lens cleaning disc first.
    Yeah, I was trying to fish mine out, but I couldn't find it. I'll try to fine another later. Hopefully Walmart has one.

The system plays PS2 games flawlessly though.