Thread: Can some people give me an opinion on these 3DO games I have ordered?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can some people give me an opinion on these 3DO games I have ordered?

Crash n' Burn
    Total Eclipse
    Guardian War

Also another question, is the 3DOs internal memory battery backed?
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

crash n burn is not bad at all for the time, and total eclipse is also not bad for its time, the other i have never played, and as for saved games, my 3DO is the same one i had when it came out, and all of my saves are still there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile

Play them and then give us your opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T View Post
    Play them and then give us your opinion
    Well I just got Total Eclipse today I haven't played it yet but when I do, I'll post my opinion

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends if you play the games in the context of their release dates...For its time Crash n' Burn was a novelty, a system seller if you will since its graphics were exceptional. It was doing stuff that a FX Snes had no hope of doing. Gameplay was borderline decent back then, nothing to write home about at all imo. I played a demo of it way back as a kid and was impressed by the gfx but quickly went to play the Mario kart demo on the snes which was right next to the 3do unit. Total Eclipse came out abit later I believe and I dont think it was really anything impressive for its release date, the gameplay to me, was simply meh. PSX and Saturn were on the horizon and obviously early previews of WarHawk trumped it heavily in the graphics department.

Today id say both games are a 3 as far as fun goes.
    Back then [keeping things in context] you could double that number..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Total eclipse is good, though it has some flaws with hit detection on the ship it only happens when there isn't much space sometimes I find myself flying into a wall when I think I'm flying into open space. It's also really hard to control when you are rotating your ship and I haven't even found a reason to do so yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my opinion all 3 of those games are good. Crash n Burn like mentioned was something entirely new and fresh graphically - so that had it going for it. The cheeseball FMV actors are a hoot - almost worth the purchase. But if you really get into the game with the powerups and such - it's actually quite a fun game.

Total Eclipse is an excellent shooter. The control can be a little touchy but it's fun when you get the hang of it. And the graphics are really good as are the cut-scenes. The Aliens are some bad-asses!

Guardian War is amazing. I LOVE Guardian War. I played this to the near end back in the day. The graphics especially with the Spells were AMAZING for their time - and I still think that some of the really powerful spells still look awesome. They are fully animated cgi type spells like in Final Fantasy or Skies of Arcadia. The game is pretty cut and dry - which isn't always bad after a round of Slayer or Death Keep. The movement on the battle field is grid based. It's also a bit repetitive - but for some reason I couldn't stay away from it.

As far as the internal memory. I am not sure if it's battery or not - I have never heard of anyone having to replace a battery in a 3DO but I could be wrong. I think it's flash based most likely but don't quote me. You should do a search online for the Game Guru disk, it's a pretty neat memory manager utility. If you have the FZ-10 then you don't really need it unless you want to use cheats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    As far as the internal memory. I am not sure if it's battery or not - I have never heard of anyone having to replace a battery in a 3DO but I could be wrong. I think it's flash based most likely but don't quote me. You should do a search online for the Game Guru disk, it's a pretty neat memory manager utility. If you have the FZ-10 then you don't really need it unless you want to use cheats.
    I should find a copy of it, my 3DO is an FZ-1. Now about the Game Guru disc, is it official game disc or something you have to download and burn yourself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    I should find a copy of it, my 3DO is an FZ-1. Now about the Game Guru disc, is it official game disc or something you have to download and burn yourself?
    It's an official product.

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Crash n' Burn
    Total Eclipse
    Guardian War

Also another question, is the 3DOs internal memory battery backed?
    Crash n' Burn was pretty cool, nothing overly memorable but a fun game that showed off the 3DO's hardware well back when the system was new.

Total Eclipse was another game that showed what the 3DO could do versus the competition at the time, it was a fun flying game with ultra fast gameplay at parts that was addicting.

Guardian War was a bit of a let down for me. I wanted a sick RPG game like I had on my SNES but I was let down with the strategy elements and the lame fighting, but the graphics were pretty decent and the music was a blast. All in all nothing much to write home about.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!