Thread: Is the PSP modding scene still active?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Default Is the PSP modding scene still active?

As the thread title asks, are there still new homebrew games/emulators etc. being released for PSP? And also are old emulators being improved still? Or has the focus been shifted to another handheld console? I really hope people are still working on emulators for the PSP, as I would LOVE a close to full speed N64 emulator (last I checked daedalus 64 was closest but not near full speed without audio issues and battery draining out the wazoo.) Any info. you may have about new material or updated material for CFW PSP's is appreciated. Thanks!
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Seems to be doing great. Check out one of the numerous communities and they're still very active.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
    Seems to be doing great. Check out one of the numerous communities and they're still very active.
    I'd love to know what communities you're talking about, because looking around I haven't seen much action at all (what action there is involves the VITA usually, which doesn't count).

My answer to the original question would be no, it's pretty much dead. I don't think anything has been updated emulator wise in a year or more.

I can't help with N64 emulators - I avoid them like the plague. They're not mature enough yet, and I want to play around with graphics settings about as much as I want to contract the plague. I prefer SNES/Genesis and earlier emulators personally (kind of in general actually).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Yeah I remember reading about some sort of patch designed to take out all of the slowdown from FFT: War of the Lions recently.

That and the PC emulation scene has gotten better and better in recent years, some of the screenshots of PSP games with proper AA and at HD resolutions are gorgeous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Last time I messed with a PSP and emulation, was probably like 4 or 5 years ago. Back then, Genesis emulation was pretty good, but SNES simulation was kinda spotty. Has anything really changed ?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Last time I messed with a PSP and emulation, was probably like 4 or 5 years ago. Back then, Genesis emulation was pretty good, but SNES simulation was kinda spotty. Has anything really changed ?
    I found the same thing 4-5 years ago. For me, there is generally only 5 emulators I want to play at any given time, and the Genesis one only made the cut because of how frustrated I was with the SNES emulator.

(Those emulators are: Atari 2600, Atari 800/XL/XE, NES, SNES, and GBA).

The timing of this thread is actually funny because I found myself getting into my PSP just within the last couple of weeks (I had been thinking of buying a Caanoo for the emulation and then thought, why bother, I already have a PSP, I can just get that going again).

Not much has changed from what I can tell, but the SNES emulator I'm running (snes9xtyl 0.4.2) seems to run just fine. I have tried a couple of the Euphoria releases but like 0.4.2 best (it's the only one that exits back to the XMB properly without hanging for starters).

Frustratingly, I can't get NHL 95 to work. NHL 94 works fine, but I can't get 95-98 to run at all (and I know it's not the roms, as I had it working on my Ubuntu box last night). I tried firing up Super Mario RPG and StarFox to see if they'd work, and they may be slow (but fixable with tweaking) but at least they run.

I consider NHL 95 on the SNES my favourite hockey game (with NHL 08 on XBox a close second). It's a bummer but I can live with NHL 94 for now. I'm certainly not going to buy a Caanoo just to play one SNES rom, no matter what rom that is
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end