Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rose Colored Happenings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rose Colored Happenings

4-19-2013 Notice: Please excuse and delay in email/blog/FB/forum replies, shipping, or the completion of orders. To make a long story short, my wife went into labor at 32 weeks on the 16th. What preceded that were other related issues which required a LOT of my time and attention in the 2 weeks leading up to the delivery. We had a healthy baby boy and I'm just now getting back to my desk to answer emails and get orders moving again. I'm so terribly sorry if this has caused any inconvenience or problems. Rest assured, I will take care of any issues, questions, or concerns as soon as humanly possible. Thank you for your patience.

I am putting a hold on any incoming orders for custom items until I can get caught up. I will resume taking pre-orders/orders for custom items once I've managed to catch up a bit. Keep an eye on the blog and Facebook pages for updates regarding my return to accepting new orders. I will continue to take orders for production items such as the micro faceplates, backlight kits, & Glass GBA lenses in the meantime.

If you already have an order placed or have sent an item or items in to be modded, then rest assured that you’ll be taken care of. I will not be canceling any orders as of this moment.

Thank you,
    wiggy

I thought I'd start a little progress log for by new business (some of you may have noticed the link in my sig). I'll be offering up a variety of products and services in the coming months. I'll use this thread to gauge interest for new products, post how-to and FAQ guides, show off what I've done for customers, and of course promote myself :P
    Last edited by wiggyx; 04-19-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lookin' good. I'd definitely be interested in a pre-modded GBA. I have an Afterburner modded system, and I'm not really satisfied with it. I'm also digging the NGPC. Any chance of giving a Game Gear that treatment?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I continue to keep an eye out for a beat up SNES mini in the wild so I'll have an excuse to order your custom case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Lookin' good. I'd definitely be interested in a pre-modded GBA. I have an Afterburner modded system, and I'm not really satisfied with it. I'm also digging the NGPC. Any chance of giving a Game Gear that treatment?
    I'm working on one right now for a fellow over on The Cover Project. I was trying to use a DS backlight, but the GG screen is noticably larger, which means that the edges of the screen don't get very well lit. But I'm testing things and I'm pretty sure that I'll have a good solution for it pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    I continue to keep an eye out for a beat up SNES mini in the wild so I'll have an excuse to order your custom case.
    The one that I used for the proto was BEAT! I got lucky and grabbed it on eBay for 15 shipped. They do indeed pop up at those sorts of prices once in a while

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I'd be interested in buying one of those GBAs. It looks very professionally done. Do you have any available, and if so, how much are they?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Everything looks fantastic!

Love the attention to detail.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I'd be interested in buying one of those GBAs. It looks very professionally done. Do you have any available, and if so, how much are they?
    Thanks! I do, they're in a FS thread on this forum actually.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...e-Systems-SALE!

I just invoiced a fellow for the orange one last night, so that may not be available, but the black one most definitely is

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Everything looks fantastic!

Love the attention to detail.
    Thank you! That is something that I really strive for, especially with the portables. They're so small, and that makes any physical imperfection really stand out. Gotta be super careful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Little update on some recent happenings

These are custom Gameboy micro faceplates that I'm considering selling. These aren't exactly like the original faceplates. They're an adhesive-backed, resin coated printed polymer sheet. You can pretty clearly see how they differ in look and shape from the originals and they are a more permanent installation (they can be removed, but they aren't exactly swappable). This sort of thing is better suited to the perons who wants something really unique/custom. They can be printed in any color, flat or metallic (metallic orange pictured), and as you may have noticed, with custom graphics. ANY custom graphics. Want a Megaman faceplate? I can bust that out, no prob. Donkey Kong? Yeah, it's on! Super Mario? I'll get right on top of that one too

The plan is to offer a range of pre-made popular colors and designs, then somehow work out group buys for the custom one-off designs. Doing something like that on a one-at-a-time basis would be extremely cost prohibitive, so I'm trying to avoid it. Anyway, here are pics.

Here's a WonderSwan Crystal that I modded a while back. Did one of my own and then one for a customer. I think the WS really takes to the front light mod better than any other portable. The screen just seems to reflect enough light, versus the GBA and Neo Geo Pocket which become a bit more washed out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone who produces new Micro faceplates is doing a great thing for this community since replacements are harder to find than the micro itself. You said that these are semi-permanent though? How easy is it to remove it once it gets scratched up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Color me interested with that GB Micro thing you have going there.

The only problem I see is needing a solid faceplate first to attach it to because if you're already scratched up that isn't going to make it not noticeable on screen right? Though it appears from your materials once there it would be harder to nick up as the original can easily get marked up as I know too well. I got one in bad shape I use for flea market/pocket and a nice one still with a hairline annoyance on the faceplate for at home use only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I peeked at that other thread of yours back when it was first posted and it seemed intriguing but quickly slipped my mind. I've also frequently noticed your contributions to discussions here at this fine little website. Seeing this thread, I have to say that I'm extremely grateful to have someone like you contributing to the retro gaming community. I don't know that I will ever have a grown up job or the income to support your contributions, but I'm glad you're doing things like this whether I'll ever get to partake or not. That prototype is amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do for other system housings and products that we never knew we needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Anyone who produces new Micro faceplates is doing a great thing for this community since replacements are harder to find than the micro itself. You said that these are semi-permanent though? How easy is it to remove it once it gets scratched up?
    Tell me about it :/

I saw a NIB (that's New In Baggie) black FP go for like 50 bucks last month. Lame.

Think of it like a sticker. They come off fairly easily. A minute under the hair dryer and it'll come off like butter

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Color me interested with that GB Micro thing you have going there.

The only problem I see is needing a solid faceplate first to attach it to because if you're already scratched up that isn't going to make it not noticeable on screen right? Though it appears from your materials once there it would be harder to nick up as the original can easily get marked up as I know too well. I got one in bad shape I use for flea market/pocket and a nice one still with a hairline annoyance on the faceplate for at home use only.
    No no no, this attached to the micro itself You don't need an original faceplate at all for this

I've got about 5 black and silver faceplates here that range anywhere from "dammit, that's lame" to "Ahh, who would treat this thing like this?!" It sucks that there aren't ANY available (in the US at least), whether they be aftermarket or OEM. I only really started thinking about this when I picked up a few micros in a lot that were supposedly broken, you know, for parts. It turned out that they all worked, so of course I wanted to try and bring them back to a presentable state. This was what I came up with

Quote Originally Posted by eggwolio View Post
    I peeked at that other thread of yours back when it was first posted and it seemed intriguing but quickly slipped my mind. I've also frequently noticed your contributions to discussions here at this fine little website. Seeing this thread, I have to say that I'm extremely grateful to have someone like you contributing to the retro gaming community. I don't know that I will ever have a grown up job or the income to support your contributions, but I'm glad you're doing things like this whether I'll ever get to partake or not. That prototype is amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do for other system housings and products that we never knew we needed.

Thanks! It means a lot to have the support from this community

Grown up jobs are overrated anyway. Sure, you make more money, but you can multiply the stress level by 2 for every 10K more you make over your last job
    Last edited by wiggyx; 12-01-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Installation manual for the kit is FINALLY up! Link here and in 1st post.

GBA Backlight Kit installation manual

And so this is a completely picture-less post, here are some comparison shots of the original micro faceplate versus mine.

And then a totally Shameless plug for one of my other, not normally game-related products

Last edited by wiggyx; 12-02-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Now we understand your old avatar!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blog has been updated with a new FAQ and product info! Check it out!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Wow Wiggy, those are all really nice looking!

It's terrible I already own 2 original GBAs, 4 SPs and 2 phat DSs but... wow, I really enjoy the GBA so much that I really want an original with a lit screen. Damn you. :lol:

I wonder if they make a frosty blue GBA case. Hmmm....
    Last edited by Daria; 01-01-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Wow Wiggy, those are all really nice looking!

It's terrible I already own 2 original GBAs, 4 SPs and 2 phat DSs but... wow, I really enjoy the GBA so much that I really want an original with a lit screen. Damn you. :lol:

I wonder if they make a frosty blue GBA case. Hmmm....
    Thanks!

There's no blue case out there that I know of, but I did just make one for a customer I'll post pics as soon as I get them edited.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Thanks!

There's no blue case out there that I know of, but I did just make one for a customer I'll post pics as soon as I get them edited.
    That would be awesome thanks. Can't wait to see them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually have one of these, a clear red, and a satin inferno metallic all for sale right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much for the clear red?