Thread: 750,000 360s, 525,000 PS3s, and 160,000 Vitas sold during the Black Friday week.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default 750,000 360s, 525,000 PS3s, and 160,000 Vitas sold during the Black Friday week.

Last edited by kupomogli; 11-29-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Microsoft had big time price cuts at most of the big retailers to sell the systems.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Microsoft had big time price cuts at most of the big retailers to sell the systems.
    Not really, it's basically the same pricing as they had on the BF bundles last year at $199 for a 250GB. Sony did the same thing on the super slim PS3s at $199 with a couple of games (a couple of two packs actually). It will be interesting to see how many PS3s they sold as it seems like lots of people were picking them up at the various stores I visited.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    That's a lot of 360s.
    Is it? What's the typical sales numbers for a given week? And does anyone know what they sold during Black Friday last year?

I love how they compare it to the Wii U without any context. I still have no idea if 400,000 units is all the stock they made available or if there were Wii U's unsold or anything. Not that I truly care one way or the other, I just find it as interesting in what people leave out as in what they include.

More importantly (and I'm not picking on you at all, we all do this), why do we even care?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's the immature nature of video game media and the industry on the whole. Fanboy favorites and a hard lack of true journalism or integrity. 400K WiiUs on a new system with a small stack of titles vs over 700K of a unit 6years old $150 less and with a crap ton of a library to choose from. 360 has a strong ad campaign and recognition, Nintendo chose to barely advertise the WiiU at all due to various reasons. I'd venture that given the factors both did strongly especially in this economy.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Is it? What's the typical sales numbers for a given week? And does anyone know what they sold during Black Friday last year?

I love how they compare it to the Wii U without any context. I still have no idea if 400,000 units is all the stock they made available or if there were Wii U's unsold or anything. Not that I truly care one way or the other, I just find it as interesting in what people leave out as in what they include.

More importantly (and I'm not picking on you at all, we all do this), why do we even care?
    Last year the 360 moved just under a million units during BF week. The figures are interesting to me only because the WiiU seems mostly sold out at stores with the exception of some basic units here and there and a 400K installed base is a tough sell to third party developers. The fact that Nintendo sold 300K Wiis is pretty shocking as well considering how little future release support the system has at least from Nintendo itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This number blows my mind. Everyone that wants a 360 already has one. And it still sold three quarters of a million units over the holiday? Huge win for Microsoft here.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post

It sells about 200,000 a week on average. That's just a huge number considering just about everyone interested already has one.

I want to see PS3 sales also, but I'm waiting more to see Vita sales. With the Vita Black Friday deals, especially the Amazon deal which I stupidly didn't get, it'd be nice if the Vita got a much needed sales boost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty impressive for consoles that are 6 and 7 years old.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 11-29-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I have a feeling that it's just more people who chose to only own a Nintendo or Sony system finally deciding to get something to go alongside it. Or it's the people who always stick with last gen until the new gen is almost over, just so they can get the games cheaper. I know some people on here said they always do that. I think Gameguy was one of them who said it's almost time for him to get Wii games.

Another group is people buying it now because they already own a large 360 and want a slim. Collecting is more popular because of youtube people doing show & tell about their collections. Some people like collecting all hardware variants of their systems. (I loved doing that more than even collecting actual games till I had to sell it.)
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Everyone that wants a 360 already has one.
    That's just a huge number considering just about everyone interested already has one.
    I never understood this way of thinking. Maybe for a lot people in the 20+ crowd but certainly not everyone. I wanted an NES growing up but I never got one until several years later. If someone was 7 when the 360 came out maybe now their parents feel they're old enough for a "grown up" system at 14. Or maybe now more people that wanted one can afford one. Or maybe the Kinect opened it up to a larger casual crowd.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It sells about 200,000 a week on average. That's just a huge number considering just about everyone interested already has one.
    Maybe during the holiday season, but on average it's about 35-50K in North America, Jack squat in Japan and less than the PS3 in Europe.

I have two 360s. I have an Elite in the livingroom and a 360 Arcade (20 gig HDD) in my gameroom/office.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 11-28-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Looks like PS3 did 525,000 units and Vita did 160,000. Pretty respectable numbers I would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Looks like PS3 did 525,000 units and Vita did 160,000. Pretty respectable numbers I would say.
    I was hoping Vita would surprise me and sell much more. I believe this is the second month that Vita has sold over 100K units in the states.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Too bad the Vita didn't sell more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad the Vita didn't sell more.
    160,000 isn't bad for a single week. And once the system gets it's first price cut it should sell even better, provided it has a reasonable amount of games people are interested in.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    160,000 isn't bad for a single week. And once the system gets it's first price cut it should sell even better, provided it has a reasonable amount of games people are interested in.

The problem with the Vita, is that there are only a handful of retail games that are scheduled to be coming out for it in the near future. It's a pretty barren wasteland right now for upcoming Vita software. If sales were "really" good, then hopefully some more companies would jump on the bandwagon and make a few games for it. Right now, all the big publishers are pretty much avoiding bringing out any Vita games until they see the a bigger user base. I'm not sure how many more games Sony has in internal development for it, but it wouldn't surprise me if even Sony canceled some of those Vita projects. This Xmas could be the last hope for Vita.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Sony needs to cut the price of the PS3 and the Vita down to $199 each and they'll be moving better numbers, maybe not Black Friday numbers, but better that what they've been selling. The bundles are nice, but a permanent price cut for the PS3 is long overdue, and the Vita needs one ASAP.