Thread: Rare Sega CD games, possibly systems, worth selling???

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rare Sega CD games, possibly systems, worth selling???

I've been a collector of Sega CD stuff for over a decade now and I have a few extra rare games that I ended up with and replaced with better versions. I've never sold anything online, so I have a lot of concerns that I'll get ripped off. Is any of this worth the risk of selling or should I just stuff it in a box? The list:

Popful Mail - Complete in a way. The disc has some miniscule data layer damage outside in the blank part of the disc. It has been resurfaced and otherwise looks new. The manual cover is torn, but everything is there. The back cover was folded to act as a sleeve for the disc when I got it...flattened it out and added an official Sega CD clear case. Better than loose, but has condition problems.

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue - Complete, no issues.

Sega CDX units - I am slowly rebuilding these to working condition using my skills/knowledge. I even posted a bit of a guide here that members keep e-mailing me about for help. They are very expensive and rare, and I enjoy fixing them. But I'm doing all of the work and refurbing them myself, not sure how buyers would react as far as price.

Vay - Sort of complete, no map. Disc is toast, so I guess just selling as a replacement box + manual would be the way to go. Manual has a corner that's a bit chewed up.

Lunar 1 - disc only. Bought it as a non-loader. Sent it through a professional resurfacer (as I do with all problem discs) and got it to load, play, but some of the audio has skips. Mostly it plays fine. I've gotten to Vane so far, guess I'll keep at it.

This is just some of the best stuff...What do ya'll think? Would I be wasting my time for little financial reward? Are the risks of getting a buyer worth it nowadays? I have this scenario that I'll find a bad buyer that files a claim, keeps my stuff, and sends his broken system/games. I guess insure everything and add delivery confirmation?

Mods: This may not be the best place for the thread...feel free to move around if not appropriate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're looking for max $$$ go to ebay. I would be surprised if you got anyone from DP to pay what they're "worth." People on here are looking for fair deals, somewhere between ebay and craigslist value. That's how I view it, at least.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think you have much of interest there for most collectors with the exception of Lunar 2. Everything you listed is damaged or otherwise not complete. As far as the CDXs, nobody is going to reimburse you for the time you put in doing the repair. Assuming they are working and in nice cosmetic shape, people will pay fair market value on Ebay, not more than that.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I don't think you have too much to worry about if you sell them. Just describe them thoroughly and honestly, use lots of pictures, and price them accordingly (or use an auction). Most of the people that would be after these items understand situations like this and will know what you are talking about.

I agree with Bojay on the CDXs you have restored. Don't expect a premium, but there isn't a reason they shouldn't go at market value, either. I think of it as being balanced between "someone has messed with it" (negative), and "these units are starting to fail more, but this one has been restored so hopefully it will keep truckin' along" (positive). Same selling advice here. Be clear on what you have done and how much testing you've done, and lots of pictures.

As for the eBay switcheroo scam... it is a possibility, but mostly just a boogeyman. I don't believe it happens often at all, and is even less likely if you have taken lots of pictures that are in your listing, IMO. I think that will scare off most thieves since you'll have evidence to give to paypal. Plus, for the consoles, you'll then also have the serial numbers recorded. I understand your concern, the same scenario goes through my head when I sell expensive items. But in the end almost all people are honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Cornelius. Describe everything well, take a lot of pictures and you'll probably be fine. I also have a lot of Sega CD dupes but have a hard time letting go of them since I love the system so much

For my favorites though I do tend to have nice copies for my collection then loosies for regular playing. I'm not going to pull out my Disc Art 7 copy of Lunar when my beat up version 1 works just as well.