Thread: PlayStation 3D display

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PlayStation 3D display

Anybody have this, is it any good? Can you watch movies like Transforms in 3d?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't have it, but the only things I know of it is that yes you can watch stuff in 3D. You can play or watch something on one input in 2D, while playing or watching something on the other input in 2D(I'm not sure if you need one or two pairs of glasses to do so though.) So two people could be playing Call of Duty on two different PS360 or PCs and each have a full screen to themselves(since they'd be on different systems, even if it's the same type.) A headset would be required if one wanted to hear their own audio though I'm assuming.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-29-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    Anybody have this, is it any good? Can you watch movies like Transforms in 3d?
    TonyTheTiger and KillerSquirel both have them. They can probably answer any specific questions.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not a bad display and definitely looks much better nowadays with the price drops (I'd say the original $500 would have definitely not been worth it). It's a little limited in that there are very few features. It doesn't come with a remote so you'll be fiddling with the somewhat cumbersome buttons hidden in the back, though it is compatible with the PS3 remote if you have one. You get the standard color temperature and contrast settings but little beyond that. And it only has 1 component and 2 HDMI inputs. No VGA, no S-Video, no composite, etc. The built-in speakers are passable and the picture quality seems fine but I'm far from a videophile. The 3D is fine but I'm not really a fan so I can't comment beyond "it works."

I think the thing to keep in mind is that it's a kitschy product. If all you want is a 24 inch 3D capable monitor you'll probably find many options that are either better, cheaper, or both. But if you want a PlayStation branded display as a conversation piece or just because you like kitschy things then it's pretty decent for what it is.

There is one issue, though. A large number of these things, maybe even all of them, may be slightly defective (probably a firmware issue). The screen can sometimes black out for a split second. It's completely random and can happen three times in an hour or weeks apart, if that. The best guess people have put forth is that it might have something to do with the HDMI "handshake." I've had it happen a couple times and Sony has never once acknowledged it. Some other Sony displays have had a problem like this and they've been fixed with new firmware but nothing so far for this particular unit as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I don't have it, but the only things I know of it is that yes you can watch stuff in 3D. You can play or watch something on one input in 2D, while playing or watching something on the other input in 2D(I'm not sure if you need one or two pairs of glasses to do so though.) So two people could be playing Call of Duty on two different PS360 or PCs and each have a full screen to themselves(since they'd be on different systems, even if it's the same type.) A headset would be required if one wanted to hear their own audio though I'm assuming.
    No, it doesn't work that way. Some games have a feature that uses the 3D functionality to instead produce two distinct non-3D images so both players can get a full image on the same screen. It has nothing to do with multiple inputs.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 11-29-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own one, my third unit. It has pros and cons that I'll get to. One thing you need to do is get a reciept. Do not get this as a gift, do not get one through e-bay, you want a brick-and-mortar store like Best Buy. All of them are bad out of the box it seems. My first one had a washed out right side about 2 inches into the picture. My second one had a great picture, but terrible blown out speakers. It only allowed volume to get to 1/3 before it started hissing and popping. I used this for three months before it started 'blinking' out during gameplay. From the advice of others, I RMA'd it to Sony. The current one is fine. The hardware is stable, the image is good, and the speakers are good. Sound is not great, but not terrible.

So, if you get it, wait until it fails, send a copy of the receipt and the unit back to Sony and you will get a good unit. This is how it works for everyone. I've heard it from several co-workers that own it and read it on all forums about this topic.

PROS:
    +Great 3d. I just watched Transformers 3 and it is fantastic, just like the theatre. Minimal ghosting, and the colors are very bright and good. This set was made for 3d, but happens to double as a 2d monitor. Avatar will be next.
    +Collectability. A playstation branded display to fit with a PS3, great for a fanboy or girl. This is the first time a console maker has also made a TV to go along with the game system. For the Playstation lover that just has to have it all. Also one of the only sets marketed to gamers...last one I remember was the Samsung GX TV.
    +Price. I got mine for $200, which us a great price for everything included. It got a little lower to $180 and then vanished at $100. If you got it at $100, my hat is off to you.
    +3d is * almost * flicker free to the naked eye.

CONS
    -2d image is a bit washed out and the screen has a noticible washed out boarder. It is something you'll notice, but it isn't a deal killer. It was done this way for a good 3d image.
    -Speakers suck, as in they pop and buzz pretty easily.
    -Hardware sucks, but after you RMA it, Sony will fix it.
    -Display is literally a mirror. Again, one of the trade offs for good 3d.

Anyhow, final answer, I love it at $200 for everything now that it works as intended. Thank you Sony for trying something different that ties into the gaming legacy of the 8-bit era (with the SMS and Famicom 3-D LCD glasses).
    Last edited by ifkz; 11-30-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you use any brand glasses, I wear glasses and need these
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AWEW39APRTPXR

Will they work?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know for sure but I want to say yes because I think it's universal technology.

Really the only question you need to ask yourself is why you want this monitor. If you want a 24 inch 3D monitor then, no, don't get this. But if you want a PlayStation branded 3D monitor, then be comforted knowing that it performs admirably.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they're Sony glasses, they'll *probably* work. There is a "universal" standard now for 3D glasses, but not all manufacturers are following it.

I was thinking about picking up one of these as a computer monitor and occasional PS3 display, but then I read the reviews and heard about the reliability issues. At $100 though, I would have liked picking up 3 for a killer multi-monitor desktop configuration. Then again, still not sure if I'd bite at that price given the reliability.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I own one and use it as a second PC monitor. I'll fourth or fifth or whatever the reliability issues: the one I have now is my second. The first wouldn't sync with the glasses, which sort of defeats the purpose. I haven't had any further issues, and it gets a lot of use.

The picture is clear, the lag is tolerable, and the 3D is OK, but the black levels are negligible and the speakers aren't great. There's a built in heavy duty glass panel that protects the screen which I like a lot. I bought mine for two hundred bucks with an extra pair of glasses, which is a deal you can find fairly often if you keep your eyes open. I think it's worth it at that price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Can you use any brand glasses, I wear glasses and need these
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AWEW39APRTPXR

Will they work?
    I believe any active shutter 3d glasses will work... in fact it says on the box of the ps3 glasses that they work with other tvs using active shutter tech

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I believe any active shutter 3d glasses will work... in fact it says on the box of the ps3 glasses that they work with other tvs using active shutter tech
    I have decided to get one but the blackout and breakdown reviews scare me. Is there a Sony warenty in the box?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

I have decided to get one but the blackout and breakdown reviews scare me. Is there a Sony warenty in the box?
    It has a Sony warranty but its not very long. You can get one from best buy with an extended warranty for an additional like 20 bucks its well worth it.