Thread: New Humble Bundle Is Windows Only, DRM Games [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb New Humble Bundle Is Windows Only, DRM Games [Slashdot]

jbernardo writes "After all the indie, multi-platform (including 4 for android) and DRM free releases, the latest Humble Bundle release is a polemic one. It features non-indie games, it is Windows only, and the games are saddled with DRM. There is already a very vocal discussion on the Humble Bundle Google+ thread, but it seems it is selling well."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The THQ bundle is digital and the only DRM is Steam. All the bitching probably comes from people who wanted to buy one and then give it to all their friends to share. *edit* Not share. Steal.

I'm angry for several reasons. But the biggest reason is that I gave the Humble Bundle brand name a lot of free advertising and word of mouth because I expected them to always be DRM-free and cross-platform. Them choosing not to be feels like a betrayal and a cheat because they're taking all that good will I helped them create to sell something that is at cross-purposes to the reason I helped them create this good will.

I'm also angry because I spent a bunch of money, always above the average, often significantly so. I spent it not just because I thought the games were worth it. I spent it because I believed in Humble Bundle and what I thought they were trying to accomplish. It was another way for me to invest in the brand.

If they had done something like this under a different name I wouldn't be angry at all. Create another brand "Pay What You Can" bundles or whatever and market your stuff under that brand if it doesn't fit the Humble Bundle image. Then I wouldn't feel like all the work and money I put into supporting the Humble Bundle brand was a waste.
    What a biggety bitch. There are a lot of posts like this.

"Pay what you want DRM free" may be the usual tagline, but it clearly doesn't say that when you're at www.humblebundle.com where it usually does. It just shows pay what you want. It also only says pay what you want when watching the video, and states specifically that it gives you Steam keys.

Pay what you want, help charity, get epic games for Windows on Steam.
    Right under the big red Humble THQ Bundle when on the website in white.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-30-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I can understand the outrage, the Humble Bundle was built on the concept of "pay what you want, DRM free" however its not worth getting so upset over it. It would however be a shame if they started offering only bundles now that you had to use Steam to unlock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

People not happy because its not indie games, I understand. People bitching for DRM? I paid 5.70 and got darksiders, sr3, coh, metro, etc, come on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Once I heard and found out about the humble game bundles, I now jump on them the day that they're released. I'll buy every single bundle regardless of whether or not I have the games. The soundtracks alone make it worth it to me, and the full ability to put all my purchase to go to the developers sweetens the pot.

However, this bundle left a sour taste in my mouth after I bought it. The games are really good, but the new restrictions on this bundle aren't looking so hot. There are 4 things that make the humble bundle stand out:

1. You pay whatever you want.
    2. It's a bit contributor to the indie game scene - which I want to see as the future of game development.
    3. The games are DRM free.
    4. Most importantly: The games are CROSS PLATFORM.

This bundle basically ignores all 4 points.

1. Minimum of $1. Not really a big deal - I pay over the average anyway just to make sure that I get all of the bundle, so this point is just about the concept.
    2. Major publisher that is having financial trouble. While I understand their pain, I'm still butthurt about all the DLC annoyances that I had to deal with on Darksiders 2, so you'll have to excuse me for not feeling very charitable to THQ.
    3. For AAA titles, this is to be expected, which is why I never thought, nor did I really want to see any AAA titles in the humble bundle.
    4. Windows only. F***.

I bought the bundle, donated almost everything to charity and the humble web site, and left THQ with very little. Made me feel a little less dirty.